Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
10-16-2013, 01:59 AM   #1
Veteran Member

What do you think of Sony's new a7 and a7r?

I wont refer to them as DSLRs because they're mirrorless.,

So what do you think of Sony's new full-frame digital interchangeable lens cameras the a7 and a7r?

They remind me of the Old Minolta a7000. I'm guessing that intentional. They also seemed to have housed the DVF in something that looks like a pentaprisim housing. I thought that part was silly.

10-16-2013, 05:05 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Post moved to proper area.
10-16-2013, 05:30 AM   #3
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by OldNoob Quote
I wont refer to them as DSLRs because they're mirrorless.,

So what do you think of Sony's new full-frame digital interchangeable lens cameras the a7 and a7r?

They remind me of the Old Minolta a7000. I'm guessing that intentional. They also seemed to have housed the DVF in something that looks like a pentaprisim housing. I thought that part was silly.
So how is that different than other mirrorless cameras and DSLRs ?

Old Minolta a7000 :
10-16-2013, 08:25 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
A single-lens reflex (SLR) camera is a camera that typically uses a mirror and prism system (hence "reflex", from the mirror's reflection)

10-16-2013, 08:29 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

The best of the two worlds :

Rowland who sent the picture to Sony Alpha Rumors)
10-16-2013, 08:41 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are a number of issues with using Pentax lenses on Sony Cameras. One being that they'd work better on a Pentax camera and native mount. I mean really, a Pentax FF is coming, what's the rush? Another being that the camera this is going to replace is the Canon 5D, and it's a better replacement because you don't have to modify the lens. But relatively few people actually ever did that so that's a small market.

So really, it's more of interest to folks who like the A-7 as a camera and want to try Pentax lenses, than it is to people who own Pentax lenses and want an FF body to use them on. After all, it's likely to be a Sony sensor in the Pentax FF when it comes out. You could easily buy this for your Pentax FF glass and then have a better Pentax option come out in a couple of months, and end up not using it (kind of like my K-01, I love using it when I have to but most of the time, I don't.)

But if you are a Sony user with a bit of Pentax glass lying around this is a great option. But, for Pentax users it's a stop gap, until a Pentax FF comes out, and it's a lot of money for a stop gap, that may only be needed for a couple of months.
10-16-2013, 08:47 AM   #7
Banned

A single-lens reflex (SLR) camera is a camera that typically uses a mirror and prism system (hence "reflex", from the mirror's reflection)
You posted "They also seemed to have housed the DVF in something that looks like a pentaprisim housing. I thought that part was silly. " Exactly why do you think it was silly to have it look like a DSLR ? What should it look like ?

10-16-2013, 08:51 AM   #8
Veteran Member

The Sony Full Frame Mirror Less 7 Series Camera is path breaking based on technology, price, size, weight etc. And the legendary Zeiss lenses used on this camera is simply superb - snob value too.
I have had very good experience with Sony Nex cameras and Pentax lenses, and wish Sony all the best.
Now this is going to be a world standard aped by all the other manufacturers. I believe Leica and one another manufacturer already have compact full frame digital cameras.
10-16-2013, 08:52 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

There is zero evidence, beyond speculation, that a Pentax ff camera is in the works. As with every new release, the k-3 proved to be just another aps-c surrounded by rumor and speculation. What on earth would lead you to believe otherwise after so many years?
10-16-2013, 09:10 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
You posted "They also seemed to have housed the DVF in something that looks like a pentaprisim housing. I thought that part was silly. " Exactly why do you think it was silly to have it look like a DSLR ? What should it look like ?
A smartphone?

The price is certainly reasonable, $1699 for the 24mp model. It's weather sealed and very,very compact. It's the cheapest FF body yet and will probably drop a little in a few months. One of the things that has caused me to not seriously look at the current FF cameras is the size and weight (arthritis and stenosis in my neck). This could be some very disruptive technology.
10-16-2013, 10:07 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Having been a Minolta /Sony user for over 3 decades, i just think its odd that the housing shape they chose for the DVF look exactly like the old Minolta pentaprisims. It just makes me wonder what the DVF unit is really shaped like. Thats all i was saying.
By the way the a7000 was not a mirrorless camera.
10-17-2013, 12:27 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Having been a Minolta /Sony user for over 3 decades, i just think its odd that the housing shape they chose for the DVF look exactly like the old Minolta pentaprisims. It just makes me wonder what the DVF unit is really shaped like. Thats all i was saying.
By the way the a7000 was not a mirrorless camera.
The SLR look is intentional.
As Sony has found out from the NEX line, there is a group of people who are turned off by the fact that NEX looks like a big compact rather than a DSLR alternative. And that's why they have the A3000 - a mirrorless in a DSLR skin. Some customers, for one reason or another, wants their camera to look like a "real camera" (DSLR) when they are paying so much more than a compact.

So Sony is taking a less risky approach here, so that it can appeal to both the mirrorless crowd and also those who wants a DSLR-like camera.
10-17-2013, 12:31 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
There are a number of issues with using Pentax lenses on Sony Cameras. One being that they'd work better on a Pentax camera and native mount. I mean really, a Pentax FF is coming, what's the rush?
First, Pentax FF is still vaporware.
Even if it is true, who knows when it will come out. The rumor has it sometime next year - but as with any project, it can slip and may not come out until 2015 or later (see Watch Dog). Or it can even be cancelled (say like redesign to be a mirrorless)

And when it comes out, I bet that it is going to be quite a bit more expensive than A7, more like in the $2000 range.

Native Pentax camera may work better with Pentax lenses, but Sony would open up your options of using Canon and Nikon or whatever lens you may want.
10-17-2013, 12:50 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This A7(r) is the camera for people who want perfect control & full frame. I do a lot of product and model photography in my studio, and I can't comprehend how camera makers think of getting away without important features like peak focussing and focus zooming in the viewfinder. All but one of them make their clients resort to the back LCD, which is clumsy shooting.
10-17-2013, 01:02 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
The SLR look is intentional.
As Sony has found out from the NEX line, there is a group of people who are turned off by the fact that NEX looks like a big compact rather than a DSLR alternative. And that's why they have the A3000 - a mirrorless in a DSLR skin. Some customers, for one reason or another, wants their camera to look like a "real camera" (DSLR) when they are paying so much more than a compact.

So Sony is taking a less risky approach here, so that it can appeal to both the mirrorless crowd and also those who wants a DSLR-like camera.
I was wondering the same thing myself - assuming form follows function why not simply a FF NEX?