Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
10-26-2013, 05:20 PM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
That's better than me. I probably get about 400 - 450 with no flash use. Do you turn off the LCD? Awesome picture by the way.
Thanks (as you can see - the camera really "got in the way" of that shot - NOT! I deliberately used a dense filter to get the motion blur - it was actually quite bright in the early afternoon - and I was manually tracking focus on the Summicron)

I don't turn off the LCD, but I do turn off the camera when I am not taking shots. Generally 600 is normal when I am taking a lot of shots - I get less if I am taking shots sporadically, but I would still get over 500. And I am using cheap imitation batteries from Ebay.

I do carry a second battery, but in the years that I have owned a NEX, I can only remember swapping batteries less than a dozen times. And you know how trigger happy I am.

10-26-2013, 05:21 PM   #62
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
I'm totally dumbfounded by that. A DSLR can take a blurry picture as well as any other camera.
The DSLR would have focused on the girl in front. That is NOT what I wanted.
10-26-2013, 05:25 PM   #63
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
The DSLR would have focused on the girl in front. That is NOT what I wanted.
How?

You have 3/4 of the view finder to move your focus point around and snap! Done.
10-26-2013, 05:28 PM   #64
Veteran Member

How?

You have 3/4 of the view finder to move your focus point around and snap! Done.
It's not as easy as you think. Remember, I was focusing midway between the three people - where there is empty space - nothing for the DSLR to lock focus on.

It's not about moving focus points.

10-26-2013, 05:29 PM   #65
Pentaxian

It's not as easy as you think. Remember, I was focusing midway between the three people - where there is empty space - nothing for the DSLR to lock focus on.

Look, just because its hard for you doesn't mean its hard for everyone. That shot is a piece of cake for a DSLR, seriously.
10-26-2013, 05:30 PM   #66
Veteran Member

Look, just because its hard for you doesn't mean its hard for everyone. That shot is a piece of cake for a DSLR, seriously.
Look forward to seeing your shot. By the way the girl was sitting there only for a few seconds.
10-26-2013, 05:33 PM   #67
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It is easy, I would have simply switched the camera to manual focus and take the shot*.

* when shooting manually I have a habit of visually estimating distance and pre-focusing my lenses - because sometimes even the fastest AF systems in the world aren't fast enough.

10-26-2013, 05:35 PM   #68
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
It is easy, I would have simply switched the camera to manual focus and take the shot*.

* when shooting manually I have a habit of pre-focusing my lenses - because sometimes even the fastest AF systems in the world aren't fast enough.
By the time you have switched to manual focus, the girl would have gone.

And if you habitually leave the camera in manual focus, well, you not really using it as a DSLR, are you?
10-26-2013, 05:37 PM   #69
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums

It's often much easier to focus and compose with focus peaking than using AF. It also works great for setting up zones on grass.
10-26-2013, 05:41 PM   #70
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
It's often much easier to focus and compose with focus peaking than using AF. It also works great for setting up zones on grass.
That's exactly what I did. Used focus peaking to focus between the 3 people. On a DSLR it would have been a nightmare trying to find an appropriate focus point, or to switch to manual focus and rely on instinct. Often, DSLR lenses also have long focusing movement so I wouldn't have been able to manually focus in time.
10-26-2013, 05:44 PM   #71
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

By the time you have switched to manual focus, the girl would have gone.
Highly unlikely, on a pentax DSLR it only takes a split second to flip that switch, people sitting in public places on their mobile phones typically aren't moving all that fast.

And if you habitually leave the camera in manual focus, well, you not really using it as a DSLR, are you?
What do you mean by "using it as a DSLR" are you suggesting that i'm not using a DSLR properly because i'm choosing not to use AF? Sometimes I use manual focus only lenses from Zeiss and pentax.
10-26-2013, 05:48 PM   #72
Veteran Member

What do you mean by "using it as a DSLR" are you suggesting that i'm not using a DSLR because i'm choosing not to use AF?
Tuco's original comment was "You have 3/4 of the view finder to move your focus point around and snap! Done." I am suggesting by reverting to manual focus, Tuco wouldn't be supporting his/her original statement.
10-26-2013, 05:51 PM   #73
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tuco's original comment was "You have 3/4 of the view finder to move your focus point around and snap! Done." I am suggesting by reverting to manual focus, Tuco wouldn't be supporting his/her original statement
We all have our ways of doing things, I was merely suggesting an alternate technique that could have been used with a DSLR to get that image. I agree with Tuco's AF technique, I wasn't undermining it. In experienced hands: just about any camera could have been used to make that image. Though some cameras require more skill and experience to get the most out of them.
10-26-2013, 05:55 PM   #74
Veteran Member

was merely suggesting an alternate technique that could have been used with a DSLR to get that image.
What alternate suggestion did you put forward? Couldn't find it in your post.

You made a comment about it taking only a "split second" on a Pentax. Yeah, right. Did you include thinking time, and moving your finger to the control?

You also asked for clarification.

Didn't see any "alternate suggestion" for focusing in the space between three people, where one of them was only in the position for a few seconds.
10-26-2013, 05:56 PM   #75
Pentaxian

Perhaps if you don't assume your experience translates to other people's ability to use their camera, you might not come to such sweeping generalizations.