Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-27-2013, 05:23 PM   #121
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
If you were using the Summicron 30mm f/2 on a Leica M camera
I wasn't using them on the M9 either. I don't use the distance scales because I am either focusing using the rangefinder or locking to infinity. I don't use the DOF scale because I have shot enough photos that I can guess what the DOF is likely to be based on aperture, focal length and distance.

On a DSLR I don't use the DOF preview because it makes the image too dim for me to see clearly.

There is a DOF simulator out there that graphically shows the impact of DOF on a range of 3D models as you alter various shooting parameters. Great fun for getting familiar with the concept. A lot easier than what I did when I started - I shot a whole bunch of photos of various objects with different parameters and created an image chart so that I can compare them.

Edit - found the DOF simulator I was referring to:
http://www.liquidsculpture.com/dof.htm

10-27-2013, 05:36 PM   #122
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
**though this depends on whether you are using a poor quality adapter which may introduce inaccuracies with the mount flange, which is most likely the case since your lens is focusing past infinity.
I think you are confusing between my Summaron 35mm and my Summicron 35mm - yes I have both.

The Summicron 35mm doesn't focus past infinity - I have a Voigtlander M to E adapter - not the new one with the helicoid, but the old one. They are very good, but rather expensive. I buy them from Mainline Photographics as Scott is a CV dealer.

I was referring to my Summaron - as I said - the reason it focuses past infinity is that it used to have eyes but they were taken out so it doesn't quite sit correctly. I can adjust out the difference using my Hawk helicoid adapter, but I mainly keep the Summaron for sentimental reasons - I tend to use the Summicron these days.
10-27-2013, 05:52 PM   #123
Veteran Member

For those who are old school like me and prefer to calculate DOF on first principles, I wrote a DOF calculator in Google Spreadsheet:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ahto5-ljsK44dDFYazFpVmhFSHg4RUY...3c&usp=sharing

Mine is a bit bare bones, but I like it because it allows me to specify my own Circle of Confusion (which is different for different sensors/cameras and can be empirically derived) and it calculates the front/back ratio as well as the hyperfocal distance.
10-29-2013, 12:28 PM   #124

Nikon! My Nikon Monarch Rifle scopes rival leupold, and surpass most other brands!

10-29-2013, 10:28 PM   #125
Veteran Member

Nikon Germany Goes FX | byThom | Thom Hogan

QuoteQuote:
The messages I'm getting today from Europe are things like "Nikon Germany is saying forget DX, buy FX." Well, yes, to a degree that's what they're saying.

But I think people are trying to read a bit too much into this. Without DX DSLRs, Nikon would be effectively dead within months. Coolpix is dying and probably doesn't make Nikon any real money any more, Nikon 1 is tenuous at best, and FX DSLRs at the very best case ever hit a peak of significantly less than 20% of Nikon's DSLR sales. Nikon needs DX to continue to drive sales and profits. But they also need more than DX to succeed.
This quote from Thom Hogan essay apparently derives from some German message which encourages the Nikon sales offices to sell FF cameras via some suggested strategies. Hogan says its really no more than aggressive action on German Nikon's part to sell what they have.

What i found interesting is that even at Nikon, who has a great deal invested in FF, the FF sales have been significantly less than 20% of total DSLR sales. From some threads, its been sounding like FF are going to quickly take over DSLR sales, and it doesn't look like thats currently happening.

(Mod, if this duplicates other discussion on PF, feel free to delete)
10-30-2013, 04:42 AM   #126
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
What i found interesting is that even at Nikon, who has a great deal invested in FF, the FF sales have been significantly less than 20% of total DSLR sales.
I think this 20% is a speculation. Even if true, it would mean 50% turnover and almost all profit would be FF.

Despite a huge price gap between a D5300 and D610 ($1200), or D7100 and D800 ($1500) resp. This price gap may go away some day, just like the one between FourThird and APSC went away. But it has not happened yet.

Recently, Nikon said in an interview they wanted to focus on higher margin products. Some interpreted this to mean less aggressive pricing for new cameras, others to mean more emphasis on FF.

I rather see another danger for Nikon: They can focus on FF and this buys them some time. And may deviate them on their route to design a post-SLR future for Nikon. It is kind of a trap.
10-30-2013, 06:38 AM   #127
Veteran Member

The two meet?

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote

I rather see another danger for Nikon: They can focus on FF and this buys them some time. And may deviate them on their route to design a post-SLR future for Nikon. It is kind of a trap.
Unless 'FF' and 'post-DSLR' are not mutually exclusive and are on a convergent course within Nikon. Maybe a few product iterations out, but on the internal roadmap.

10-30-2013, 06:47 AM   #128
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Unless 'FF' and 'post-DSLR' are not mutually exclusive and are on a convergent course within Nikon. Maybe a few product iterations out, but on the internal roadmap.
It will converge. Both roads (the milc one, the ff one) lead to a common junction point. But travelling speed on one or another are not the same ...
10-30-2013, 12:34 PM   #129
Veteran Member

At times we seem to get stuck over equipment acronyms when photography is really about the end result: the image.

Equipment terms like FF or APS or m43 - why does it have to be any of these. As Falk recently discussed - we may see arrays of sensors of any size - purpose to be specialized or not. Another controversy, dslr or milc. as far as i can understand, the only thing distinguishing a dslr is the mirror-box and the phase focusing it enables. ( Also a legion of lenses ) Nikon, Canon and Sony have already found ways to make hybrid focusing systems faster.

I'm confident that consumers and mfrs will find their way thru this mess of acronyms and we will continue to take fine images.

Last edited by philbaum; 10-30-2013 at 12:44 PM.
10-30-2013, 01:29 PM   #130
Veteran Member

I was perusing a JB Hi Fi catalogue the other day.

Nikon AW1 (New model!) with kit lens: A$1099

Nikon D3200 with kit lens: $665

Sony ILCE3000 (New model!) with kit lens: $385

Now I do admit being slightly interested in the AW1, but not at that price.
03-11-2016, 07:33 AM   #131
Veteran Member

I think Pentax should try to be more visible, they have competitive products and yet they are barely seen. I was at Walmart (A Canadian one) yesterday, I noticed that Pentax are nowhere to be found, It seems like their 'de facto' dSLR brands are Canon & Nikon (I never noticed that before :-\). There is a truckload of consumers purchasing entry LvL dSLR in retail stores, it's time for Pentax to make a move.

Last edited by Helios 1984; 03-11-2016 at 10:37 AM.
03-11-2016, 04:42 PM   #132
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Helios 84-5 Quote
There is a truckload of consumers purchasing entry LvL dSLR in retail stores, it's time for Pentax to make a move.
That's not where you want to be - supermarket style high volume, low end, next-to-no-margin in a savagely declining market.

Canon and Nikon are in real trouble.
03-11-2016, 10:52 PM   #133
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Helios 84-5 Quote
I think Pentax should try to be more visible, they have competitive products and yet they are barely seen. I was at Walmart (A Canadian one) yesterday, I noticed that Pentax are nowhere to be found, It seems like their 'de facto' dSLR brands are Canon & Nikon (I never noticed that before :-\). There is a truckload of consumers purchasing entry LvL dSLR in retail stores, it's time for Pentax to make a move.
Sadly, SLR camera shelves at Best Buy in my area get very little attention - its all tablets and smart phones. Nikon has a display of FF, Sony has had some aps cameras at times, but no A7XX. Its a specialty product, i.e. large sensor cameras. Costco is much the same, mostly Nikon, they have way more display area for tablets and smart phones.
03-12-2016, 04:28 AM   #134
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My impression with Best Buy is that folks go in there to try stuff out and then go online and purchase it for cheaper (and without sales tax). It is a really tough market to be in right now.
03-12-2016, 04:42 AM   #135
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
Sadly, SLR camera shelves at Best Buy in my area get very little attention
For a very good reason - for their purposes most Best Buy customers don't need a SLR.