Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
03-12-2016, 06:33 AM   #136
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Helios 84-5 Quote
I think Pentax should try to be more visible, they have competitive products and yet they are barely seen. I was at Walmart (A Canadian one) yesterday, I noticed that Pentax are nowhere to be found, It seems like their 'de facto' dSLR brands are Canon & Nikon (I never noticed that before :-\). There is a truckload of consumers purchasing entry LvL dSLR in retail stores, it's time for Pentax to make a move.
I think the new Richo WG-M2 and Theta are the products that make money this and the coming year, and their name is Richo, and I think they can promote Pentax cameras (and they also promote Richo).

03-12-2016, 07:49 AM   #137
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bophoto Quote
I think the new Richo WG-M2 and Theta are the products that make money this and the coming year, and their name is Richo, and I think they can promote Pentax cameras (and they also promote Richo).

Do you think they'll eventually phase out the Pentax name and replace with Ricoh ?

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
My impression with Best Buy is that folks go in there to try stuff out and then go online and purchase it for cheaper (and without sales tax). It is a really tough market to be in right now.

Very true, however they'll go online to purchase either a D3200, a SL1 or a T5i, since that's what they've seen at the retail store. Nevermind the dSLRs, there's not even a Pentax Point-to-shoot on the displays (well Pentax don't manufacture PTS, maybe they should).
03-12-2016, 09:12 AM   #138
Veteran Member

Do you think they'll eventually phase out the Pentax name and replace with Ricoh ?

No, they have done it with the compact cameras, done. But Q, K and 645 lines are to remain Pentax for years I think.

Very true, however they'll go online to purchase either a D3200, a SL1 or a T5i, since that's what they've seen at the retail store. Nevermind the dSLRs, there's not even a Pentax Point-to-shoot on the displays (well Pentax don't manufacture PTS, maybe they should).
Were I live, we have a population of ~4500, and we have a Radio/TV shop that have one or two Pentax....
At the Hoya years Pentax scandinavia was closing and a big importer take over Pentax, so you can find Pentax in small shops.
But that dosen´t mean that Pentax are big in Sweden, Photo shops have bean closing down the last 10-15 years because some looking after the cheapest cost.
I use to go to a big city 50 minutes from home and by some lenses or a camera and one or two lenses, and get it for the same prise as online.
I want to have some local business left.
03-12-2016, 11:34 AM   #139
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
(well Pentax don't manufacture PTS, maybe they should).
P&S has been destroyed by phones! ☺

03-12-2016, 12:15 PM   #140
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ricoh has stated several times that they intend to keep "Pentax" as a brand. I think that it was the K3 that came out with "Ricoh" on the bottom of the rear screen. LaurenOS made a post here on PF, that she had "fixed" that problem with a black sticker - ain't no Ricoh on my Pentax body. With the release of the K3II there is no Ricoh to be found (other than on the manufacturers label). Ricoh use to make 35mm SLRs, but really never had the name or presence of Pentax. I think that it's a case of leaving well enough alone.

03-12-2016, 12:43 PM   #141
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
Ricoh has stated several times that they intend to keep "Pentax" as a brand. I think that it was the K3 that came out with "Ricoh" on the bottom of the rear screen. LaurenOS made a post here on PF, that she had "fixed" that problem with a black sticker - ain't no Ricoh on my Pentax body. With the release of the K3II there is no Ricoh to be found (other than on the manufacturers label). Ricoh use to make 35mm SLRs, but really never had the name or presence of Pentax. I think that it's a case of leaving well enough alone.
I bought a K-50 from KEH, about a week ago, I was confused when I saw the black PENTAX lettering on a black body. I can't even advertise the brand, you have to be maximum 2 feets away to have a chance to notice the name, and that is only IF you are paying attention lolll

03-12-2016, 08:02 PM   #142
Pentaxian

Pentax/Ricoh should not make those ugly pure back cameras.Black and silver YES!....Red,blue,white and lenses to match!

03-12-2016, 08:54 PM - 2 Likes   #143
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Pentax/Ricoh should not make those ugly pure back cameras.Black and silver YES!....Red,blue,white and lenses to match!
Why black when you can go FABULOUS ?

03-12-2016, 08:57 PM   #144
Veteran Member

I was confused when I saw the black PENTAX lettering on a black body.
I don't think it came out of the factory that way.
Pentax K-50 custom color chooser

More likely, a previous owner got out a Sharpie and darkened the Pentax lettering.
03-12-2016, 09:21 PM   #145
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I don't think it came out of the factory that way.
Pentax K-50 custom color chooser

More likely, a previous owner got out a Sharpie and darkened the Pentax lettering.
Nah I think it's a factory mistake, I tried to lightly rub it and it won't come off .
03-12-2016, 09:34 PM   #146
Pentaxian

Thought Nikon was one of the Mitsubishi companies.
03-12-2016, 10:32 PM   #147
Pentaxian

FABulous,is in the eye of the beholder,I love the colour,but some are overdone....

It would be good if Ricoh/Pentax didn't do BLACK or variations, then eventually when someone sees a coloured can they would recognise it immediately as a PENTAX!
03-13-2016, 04:21 AM   #148
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
It is indeed. One of many Mitsubishi companies.
03-13-2016, 07:50 AM   #149
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
FABulous,is in the eye of the beholder,I love the colour,but some are overdone....

It would be good if Ricoh/Pentax didn't do BLACK or variations, then eventually when someone sees a coloured can they would recognise it immediately as a PENTAX!

I understand your point. Nikon has the red stripe on the grip, Olympus their Silver\Black body, Canon...well everybody thinks you have a Canon even when it's not one. I like black bodies but they all look the same, maybe do the PENTAX lettering in red or bring back the Asahi logo?
03-13-2016, 07:51 AM   #150
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Yes it is. I wouldn't worry.

Chris