Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
10-16-2013, 06:36 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
Judging by the comments re' the audio level of the shutter you wouldn't want to go on safari with it either.
No need to shoot pictures. Just take video.

10-16-2013, 06:48 PM   #47
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
Judging by the comments re' the audio level of the shutter you wouldn't want to go on safari with it either.
If I had the time to go on a safari I'd hire a photographer.......
10-16-2013, 07:18 PM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
She's the first shooter and she usually gives about 500 photos in the end. She shoots RAW and culls photos very quickly after the fact. But, she is very compulsive and gets about ten shots of every pose/situation because she is afraid that she will miss a big moment. Since she is the one reviewing the photos after the fact, it doesn't end up bothering anyone else. But, I understand your criticism of my wife and I'll mention it to her when I get a chance.
No criticism. Just shocked that anyone would hit the 1600 mark for a single wedding.

We have a really big revival of MF film in my wedding market, so hitting anything close to 1600 is staggering. I can only image the film and processing costs (scanning), and the editing of the TIFF files. I would have to out source my editing.

The people who are seriously considering buying the A7r are probably not high volume shooters. There are a lot of Leica people who are very interested in this camera. A lot of people with manual focus glass who are slow and methodical when it comes to capturing images.
10-16-2013, 07:36 PM   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Corto-PA Quote
If I had the time to go on a safari I'd hire a photographer.......
Lol, I doubt the lion would even notice eating a camera as small as the A7 together with the photographer and that expensive leather camera pouch. Isn't that the problem with the new Sony? This is a ladies' camera. Chaps, if you want a camera for yourselves you need to man up and give it a miss. Get a proper camera, hefty, solid enough to swat aside the odd lion or three, OVF, old school, clockwork lenses and none of this namby-pamby new motorized stuff. Whoops, I've just described the K3.

10-16-2013, 07:51 PM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Corto-PA Quote
Ok, So I guess we established that the new Sony's are not for Wedding photographers that need to present their clients with 500 pictures of that special moment.
I had an instructor who while giving me advice on my portfolio said "The better you photographs the fewer of them you need." Quality will get you farther than quantity. I typically present an entire printed album (Blurb Books) with around 300, but that would be for 2 shooters and a guy running a photo-booth in a 100 guest wedding. The photo-booth images are all ran through a LR preset as they are shot and prints handed out to guests, so I don't have to edit those.

For 'togs who shoot MF film, the 36MP A7r with 4fps and "only" 340 shots per charge is a welcome addition..... and think of the weight reduction.
10-17-2013, 05:37 AM   #51
Veteran Member

One additional reason to hate the A7r - it is kind of sad how excited everyone in Pentax land got over this camera, Pentax and the legacy manual focus crew, and this is a Sony after all.

With luck Ricoh won't do a Minolta on Pentax
10-17-2013, 06:52 AM   #52
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Don't hate Sony, they have finally made the sensor that will take the spot of the dummy wafer in the Pentax FF that has been developed.

I now fully expect the Pentax FF to be released when the exclusivity period elapses on the 36 MP sensor.

Sometime mid 2014?

10-17-2013, 06:57 AM   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
I now fully expect the Pentax FF to be released when the exclusivity period elapses on the 36 MP sensor.
Exactly what I was thinking. The lag time will also provide Ricoh (and others) valuable feedback about the Sony form factor and interface.

M
10-17-2013, 07:30 AM   #54
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I don't hate the A7 but I do think it is very expensive. Maybe I'm one of those being left behind in the current economic environment.

I can't use my AF K-mount glass.

Does the A7 have focus peaking?

DNG files?
10-17-2013, 07:51 AM   #55
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Don't hate Sony, they have finally made the sensor that will take the spot of the dummy wafer in the Pentax FF that has been developed.

Sometime mid 2014?
My guess is that the exclusive period is over now. Sony wasn't even able to use it in their own cameras until the D800 had been out a certain length of time. I don't see Sony seeing full frame SLRs as a competitor to this camera.
10-17-2013, 08:09 AM   #56
Veteran Member

... I don't see Sony seeing full frame SLRs as a competitor to this camera.
Yes they tried that with their own SLRs for several years and it didn't work. They couldn't make headway against the big two. So I guess they have nothing to lose by trying a different approach. Lesson here for Ricoh, perhaps. They have little to lose either, imho. Panasonic GM1 to Q, D5300 to K30, the Sony A7 line, new lenses from others with motors et al to ye olde screw-driven 55-300mm - it's not been a good week for Ricoh really. Also, Sony have produced two new cameras, not one. It's been a long while since FF could mean just one camera. You need at least two bodies, I would guess, pitched for different uses and different pockets.
10-17-2013, 08:12 AM   #57
Veteran Member

My guess is that the exclusive period is over now. Sony wasn't even able to use it in their own cameras until the D800 had been out a certain length of time. I don't see Sony seeing full frame SLRs as a competitor to this camera.
I wish someone would post a copy of this mysterious "exclusivity" agreement that Nikon has with Sony. I have never seen anything other than speculation about this.

Sony tested the 36MP for the A99, but because of the focus on speed (high frame rates) and higher ISO (because of light loss with SLT) they chose the 24MP to get faster frame rates and better high ISO. Sony execs answered this question after the A99 was released. The 36MP sensor is a Sony design that Nikon had nothing to do with.

If you have a link to something other than a rumor website that shows that an exclusivity agreement existed between Sony and Nikon I would really like to see it.
10-17-2013, 08:19 AM   #58
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
I wish someone would post a copy of this mysterious "exclusivity" agreement that Nikon has with Sony. I have never seen anything other than speculation about this.

Sony tested the 36MP for the A99, but because of the focus on speed (high frame rates) and higher ISO (because of light loss with SLT) they chose the 24MP to get faster frame rates and better high ISO. Sony execs answered this question after the A99 was released. The 36MP sensor is a Sony design that Nikon had nothing to do with.

If you have a link to something other than a rumor website that shows that an exclusivity agreement existed between Sony and Nikon I would really like to see it.
I think we see the results of these agreements. Even Sony doesn't always seem to get access to the newest sensors. I'm convinced that is a major reason why the K3 release was delayed so long. But obviously things done behind closed doors aren't necessarily made public.
10-17-2013, 08:46 AM   #59
Veteran Member

I think we see the results of these agreements. Even Sony doesn't always seem to get access to the newest sensors. I'm convinced that is a major reason why the K3 release was delayed so long. But obviously things done behind closed doors aren't necessarily made public.
Maybe Adam can confirm, but I believe Pentax had a K-3 close to release and Ricoh pulled it back to wait on better technology. Probably from Fujitsu who makes the new image processor. I think it was Adam who mentioned it in one of the other posts talking about seeing the pre-production K-3 (with Pentax on the back) at Photokina last Spring. It might have been a different reviewer, but the K-3 was shown to people behind closed doors almost a year ago and now that it has been announces people are talking about it.
10-17-2013, 08:56 AM   #60
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That sample image of a girl, taken by a pre-production model in really bad lighting at the launch is horrible.
Sony A7R Sample Images | PhotographyBLOG