Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
10-18-2013, 04:38 PM   #91
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
Last year Sony was a basket case.

I wouldn't invest in any tech company. Anyone who bought Apple last year would be feeling the pain.
A year ago Facebook was $18 a share and today it is over $54.

10-18-2013, 06:54 PM   #92
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I don't know if this was already mentioned:
The Online Photographer: Two Reasons...
Having read this article and the numerous corroborating comments that follow it, I would definitely want to see some examples of how K-mount lenses perform on the A7 cameras before ordering. It seems very premature to recommend this camera as a solution for Pentax users. Thanks for the link.
10-18-2013, 08:38 PM   #93
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
It seems very premature to recommend this camera as a solution for Pentax users.
Indeed.
Maybe that's the reason Sony is not interested in K-mount users buying the A7.

As seen on one of the ads for a local camera store (CameraPro) offering pre-orders of the A7:

QuoteQuote:
"Pre-order now to receive a FREE Metabones Lens Adaptor - use your A7/A7r with your existing lens system. Via redemption from Sony.com.au. Adaptors available: Canon EF, Nikon G, Leica M, Sony A Mount to NEX".
So no Pentax love from Sony, despite all the Sony love from some Pentaxians. Maybe there are technical reasons for this.
10-18-2013, 08:41 PM   #94
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
A year ago Facebook was $18 a share and today it is over $54.
I need stocks that actually pay dividend - Facebook hasn't paid a single dividend yet. I can't live on paper profits.

10-18-2013, 08:45 PM   #95
Veteran Member

Facebook hasn't paid a single dividend yet.
If it goes like Microsoft, you might have to wait 15 years or so before anyone sees a dividend from FB.
10-18-2013, 08:46 PM   #96
Veteran Member

Facebook hasn't paid a single dividend yet.
If it goes like Microsoft, you might have to wait 15 years or so before anyone sees a dividend from FB.
10-18-2013, 11:18 PM   #97
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
That's the problem with tech stocks - little or no yield, high volatility, and once they go down, it takes a while (maybe never) for them to rise again. I have been burnt by tech stocks.

Comeback stories like Sony (even Facebook) are really rare. Great if you can spot the upwards trend, but who would have bought Sony a year ago?

If you like a volatility play, mining is great - they go up and down with such regularity a simple strategy is buy whenever they dip, and sell whenever they rise. I did that for about a year just after the GFC, and made 100% return on my investment.

But I can't do risky strategies anymore, since I need to live on my investments. Can't afford to have a bad call ruin my life.

10-19-2013, 01:28 AM   #98
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
Having read this article and the numerous corroborating comments that follow it, I would definitely want to see some examples of how K-mount lenses perform on the A7 cameras before ordering. It seems very premature to recommend this camera as a solution for Pentax users. Thanks for the link.
You're welcome.
Even if they're right, Leica/rangefinder lenses might be a special case.

Me, I recommend Pentax users who want to remains Pentax users to have patience for just a little while - otherwise they might regret it There are 2 major shows next year, I bet both will be interesting.
10-19-2013, 04:20 AM   #99
Veteran Member

Let me share my hate too...

I hate this Sony A7/7r because it doesn't have a K-mount version... =D
10-19-2013, 04:46 AM   #100
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by richard balonglong Quote
Let me share my hate too...

I hate this Sony A7/7r because it doesn't have a K-mount version... =D
Sony should just go ahead and develop an Autofocus Pentax K to E adapter. If the Pentax legal department is as small as its marketing department, then it will be a piece of cake for Sony.
10-19-2013, 05:38 AM   #101
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Sony should just go ahead and develop an Autofocus Pentax K to E adapter. If the Pentax legal department is as small as its marketing department, then it will be a piece of cake for Sony.
But why would they? Sony is about the only company out there right now that prices glass in such a way as to make Pentax lenses look like a steal. Certainly they aren't going to want to increase k mount sales at the price of their own lenses.
10-19-2013, 05:49 AM   #102
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
But why would they? Sony is about the only company out there right now that prices glass in such a way as to make Pentax lenses look like a steal. Certainly they aren't going to want to increase k mount sales at the price of their own lenses.
Will get more people into buying their cameras.
10-19-2013, 06:08 AM   #103
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Will get more people into buying their cameras.
I guarantee they make more money on their glass than on their cameras. They will release adapters for the NEX line to shoot other brands glass, but they will always be dumb adapters. They could even release adapters that would auto focus manual glass, but they won't. Whereas the adapter for alpha glass has the ability to auto focus -- mainly because it helps to sell A mount lenses, which no longer have a body that will natively mount them.
10-19-2013, 06:13 AM   #104
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I am ordering the new Sony Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* FE 24-70mm F4 ZA OSS and it's not any higher priced than the Canon EF 24-70mm f/4L IS .
Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 24-70mm f/4 ZA OSS Lens SEL2470F4Z B&H
10-19-2013, 07:29 AM   #105
Veteran Member

The Sony CZ glass is price in line with the Pentax FA LTD glass. If it performs as well then it will probably sell better. I realize no Pentax apologist will admit any lens from any company can be as good as a FA LTD, but there are a lot (most) other buyers don't agree.