Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-17-2013, 11:05 PM   #76
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
I agree mostly. Sony has some great innovation but is failing in the marketplace, mostly for the reasons you mention. If you read the financial news, Sony is in serious trouble and many consider the company's stock as a terrible investment. Are they going to be the next Kodak? Too bad.
Really? Which financial news did you read?

Sony's stock price (TYO:6758 on Google Finance) has doubled since beginning of year.

Sony's annual report for 2013 says they generated 6.8 trillion yen of revenue (up from 6.5 in 2012) and made 230.1 billion yen (before adjustment, 323.1 after) of operating income.

Most of the news I read (and I am a "professional" investor since I'm retired and I make all my money from the financial markets) says Sony is a big comeback story this year, with the PS4 and now the new cameras.

10-18-2013, 12:01 AM   #77
Forum Member

Psssh read? This is the internet.
10-18-2013, 12:25 AM   #78
Veteran Member

Christine - you might be interested in reading LuLa's review of the A7 cameras:

Sony A7R Hands-On

QuoteQuote:
The world-wide trend is toward smaller cameras. Maybe it's the aging population, or maybe just a Japanese trend that is slowing spreading around the world. (Apparently more than 50% of new DSLR style camera sales in Japan are now Compact System Cameras rather than larger cameras with optical finders).

With the A7R and A7 Sony has leapt over the product category chasm in a very cleaver way. They have introduced large sensor, high-resolution cameras but made them the size of Compact Systems. They have provided a migration path for those who own Alpha lenses, and also a migration path for those who own NEX E-mount lenses. The former requires the use of a lens adaptor, while the latter means an APS-C sized image rather than full frame, but it's a clever solution to be sure.
The body prices seem OK to me, but the lens prices seem crazy high to me, after being used to Pentax type prices. I hope that Ricoh continues to hone the Pentax system into what it could be. But i like specific qualities of my Nex cameras as well. Guess i'll continue to straddle both systems.
10-18-2013, 04:32 AM - 4 Likes   #79
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I will preface this by stating for the record: I don't hate the new sony cameras - i'm sure they will be good tools in the hands of capable artists.

What I don't like is how pentaxforums has been turned in to another marketing tentacle for SONY equipment. Pentax isn't good at marketing, they need all the help they can get - so why is pentax forums smattering the new sony cameras all over the front page like this:

In what way is this a productive marketing strategy for pentax?

I think the people who manage Pentaxforums should be ashamed.

Last edited by Digitalis; 10-18-2013 at 04:37 AM.
10-18-2013, 06:51 AM   #80
Veteran Member

It's those fat affiliate referrals.
10-18-2013, 07:34 AM   #81
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote

Because there are many PF members who have a strange fetish for FF. This could be an outlet for them with the right adapter.

Showcasing this Sony could also highlight what technology could trickle down to Ricoh one day.

PF has done this with other makes/models of cameras. I'm ok with this.
10-18-2013, 09:56 AM   #82
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
It's those fat affiliate referrals.
this...just like all Ken Rockwell's feeding their children with ads/referrals. This forum is probably profitable and I'm not sure a lot of people don't realize that, but anyway, I disagree that it is really harmful here.

What is more harmful is the influential photography bloggers/reviewers that plaster their sites with images, photographers are often more swayed by good images and praises than technical stats. The distinction between equipment and skill can get really blurred even to people who have a decent understanding of photography.

Check out this new camera, I took these photos, it's the greatest thing ever, you need this camera, p.s buy it here or here or here or here or here.

I mean harmful is still the wrong word, I should say it is really beneficial for these other companies to have this kind of free marketing/exposure, and I don't know of anyone that does this for Pentax. Also when people see professionals at a wedding or sports event they see Nikon/Canon. Who doesn't want to have just as good of equipment? Photography classes often make use of Nikon/Canon as well. I'm sure there are other examples that don't specifically relate to Canon/Nikon/Sony ad campaigns. People that complain about Pentax's marketing ability or availability sometimes miss the point I think, a lot of cameras are bought online -- few are Pentax.

I think the influential technology crowd was a huge part of Sony's camera success.

10-18-2013, 11:14 AM   #83
Banned

It's a Sony, not even a descent brand like Samsung!
10-18-2013, 11:52 AM   #84
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
Christine - you might be interested in reading LuLa's review of the A7 cameras:

Sony A7R Hands-On

The body prices seem OK to me, but the lens prices seem crazy high to me, after being used to Pentax type prices. I hope that Ricoh continues to hone the Pentax system into what it could be. But i like specific qualities of my Nex cameras as well. Guess i'll continue to straddle both systems.
I plan on getting the Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* FE 24-70mm F4 ZA OSS for my full frame NEX-VG900 that is a good price for $1,198 since it's a great Zeiss super wide-telephoto full frame zoom that is weather sealed.
10-18-2013, 12:20 PM   #85
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I will preface this by stating for the record: I don't hate the new sony cameras - i'm sure they will be good tools in the hands of capable artists.

What I don't like is how pentaxforums has been turned in to another marketing tentacle for SONY equipment. Pentax isn't good at marketing, they need all the help they can get - so why is pentax forums smattering the new sony cameras all over the front page like this:

It's a camera on which Pentax lenses can be put to good use. Pentax = APS-C the A7(r) is full frame. They're not competing cameras. They both fit in the same toolbox. The A7(r) only adds something which Pentax themselves doesn't.

I'm sure if Pentax came out with their own FF right now, that would be plastered all over the frontpage instead.
10-18-2013, 12:25 PM   #86
Veteran Member

Original Poster
This forum is about "Pentax" cameras???

Never heard of them ...

PS - I love it when Diana Krall sings "How come you always load your Pentax when I am in the nude" (Popsicle Toes)
10-18-2013, 02:00 PM   #87
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
Really? Which financial news did you read?

Sony's stock price (TYO:6758 on Google Finance) has doubled since beginning of year.

Sony's annual report for 2013 says they generated 6.8 trillion yen of revenue (up from 6.5 in 2012) and made 230.1 billion yen (before adjustment, 323.1 after) of operating income.

Most of the news I read (and I am a "professional" investor since I'm retired and I make all my money from the financial markets) says Sony is a big comeback story this year, with the PS4 and now the new cameras.
This was from last year. I'll admit I haven't looked at them in the past few month and they have improved some this year but I'm retiring also and will also be living off my pension and investments in a few months and I would be reluctant to buy into them.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/11/business/global/sony-revises-expected-loss...4-billion.html
10-18-2013, 02:13 PM   #88
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by azimuthal Quote
Check out this new camera, I took these photos, it's the greatest thing ever, you need this camera, p.s buy it here or here or here or here or here.
In a lot of these sites, it's usually something like this:

Monday: "Check out this new camera X, I took these photos, it's the greatest thing ever!!!, you need this camera, p.s buy it here or here or here or here or here."

Wednesday: "Check out this new camera Y, I took these photos, it's the greatest thing ever!!!, you need this camera, p.s buy it here or here or here or here or here."

Friday: "Check out this new camera Z, I took these photos, it's the greatest thing ever!!!, you need this camera, p.s buy it here or here or here or here or here."

Then start afresh next week. It's very tiring.
10-18-2013, 02:39 PM   #89
Pentaxian

I don't know if this was already mentioned:
The Online Photographer: Two Reasons...
10-18-2013, 03:33 PM   #90
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
This was from last year. I'll admit I haven't looked at them in the past few month and they have improved some this year but I'm retiring also and will also be living off my pension and investments in a few months and I would be reluctant to buy into them.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/11/business/global/sony-revises-expected-loss...4-billion.html
Last year Sony was a basket case.

I wouldn't invest in any tech company. Anyone who bought Apple last year would be feeling the pain.