Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-17-2013, 05:01 PM   #1

So what do you think of the new Sony camera killer?

The new A7 and A7R EVIL cameras are, in my opinion, what we've been lusting over at Pentax. Many of us have dreamed about a full-frame K-02, or the fabled full-frame K-3. This mirrorless beasts are everything everybody has desired [except maybe an optical viewfinder] ..and I still don't want one. Not that I could buy it anyway, but for some reason, it doesn't give me a good vibe. Maybe it's that I've always disliked Sony dSLRs, or that I'm more interested in getting a K-3, but the point is that it's "meh" for me at this point.

What do you think? About the camera, about Pentax ever going full-frame, about reviving the K-0x lineup, and about other brands going for full-frame EVILness?
I sure would love a K-02, a full-frame K-3 [K-1 maybe?], and whatever brand but preferably Pentax or Canon, a not-at-all fancy full-frame dSLR. Small, with nothing else but Aperture, Speed and ISO controls. A digital K-1000, or in my personal case, my Vivitar V3800n gone digital.

I think the photography industry can do this and has been able to for some time now, but for some rea$on, they've not done it. And I am glad they're finally getting there =]

10-17-2013, 05:12 PM   #2
Pentaxian

What do I think? The 2 new Sony models are cameras with large sensors. I haven't seen enough about their DR, ISO, AF, etc. to have much of an opinion on whether they are good. I think Sony erred a bit by not having more lenses at launch.
10-17-2013, 05:12 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
no interest
10-17-2013, 05:19 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Very intriguing, and Sony has a good track record with the NEX cameras. I'd still want to see some full reviews before purchase. I think Sony has enough lenses, within a few months of launch, but only high end, overpriced, Zeiss glass. They won't have any regular glass until 2015, according to their road-map. This camera is either for really rich guys or people who want to adapt legacy glass. Fortunately for Sony, there are a lot of both of those. I did read that many of the APS-C lenses will work with a 4:3 crop. Hopefully Sigma will take notice of the system and release some glass, and glass that can be used with the PDAF system. None of the 3rd party lenses work with Sony's hybrid AF. Not Sigma's, not Tamron's and not even Zeiss'.

10-17-2013, 05:37 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I think they are great for the industry. I'm really happy to see a company with some balls and who is willing to take a chance.

I think there will be some bugs and some growing pains and next year we will see a refined A9 and more glass.
10-17-2013, 05:40 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Way to expensive for me...just like all that Zeiss glass. It's nice to see someone other than Nikon or Canon making FF cameras as it's good for the competition. If I had the money I would NOT get a Sony DSLR, I don't like the layout at all.
10-17-2013, 05:48 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I am glad to see Sony coming out with a mirrorless FF camera. The release of these two cameras means to me that Sony has the FF sensor that perhaps Pentax will/may use in the upcoming release of Pentax FF in 2014. To be honest, I am also glad that the K-3 came out as the top-tier APS-C camera before Ricoh releases the half-baked and untested FF SLR. 2014 is going to be an exciting year for Pentax users as we are also hoping for more updates on lenses.

10-17-2013, 05:52 PM   #8
Veteran Member

if pentax does a FF with either of these censors I suspect we will have a much much better camera. I was tempted for about 30 seconds and then started thinking about all the crapping around to get pentax lenses onto it. Who wants a system with three lenses? Anything that provides an issue for me with pentax, this systems will have ten times the issues. My conclusion is I am pretty happy with what I have even if I do lust for more things that pentax does not provide.
10-17-2013, 06:01 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Smallish FF body with really big lenses.
10-17-2013, 06:21 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
Smallish FF body with really big lenses.
I bet that combo will get ALOT of attention!
10-17-2013, 07:11 PM   #11
Pentaxian

They look great to me.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5522/10337184266_b6f9a37751_o.jpg
10-17-2013, 07:29 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Not for me (no OVF & pricey), but they'll sell well.
10-17-2013, 08:06 PM   #13
Pentaxian

My initial response was very positive.
Its the answer to the long overdue Pentax LX that has been talked and talked about for ages here.
My 3 cabinets of Pentax lenses will now be able to be used on the FF format.
Its also the most inexpensive (for new) FF camera at this point.

Then the more I thought about it, questions came up and I was less enthusiastic.

1. The lenses - expensive, a tad slower. Slower not because they are small like on Pentax lenses. Slower because of edge issues? I have to wait and see.
2. The lenses - Not much choice. UWA will have to be adapted lenses. Might have edge issues with the real small RF wides (eg. CV 12mm; 15mm). Ok - I can adapt SLR wides, but there goes most of the size/weight benefits.
What about those time I am just lazy and want a decently priced AF fast 50mm or 35mm? (ie. none)
3. Does not AF my AF lenses. So I'd rather it be cheaper since its going to be an all MF digital platform (personally I'd wait for it to drop to $1300... perhaps).
4. Small camera, not too small lenses. - defeats the purpose
5. This camera is 'A'7 - yeah right, looks like Sony readily abandons their A-mount user base (with expensive CZ lenses ) and stuffs this 'solution' at them. I will certainly take note and not buy any FE lenses least they give up on it one fine day.
6. Sony users and Nex priests sort of put me off using Sony
7. I do think I can comfortably wait 5-6mths to see if Pentax responds since the chance of that is higher than ever.
8. If I am going to pay $1699, might as well pay a bit more if possible and get AF for the Af lenses when the Pentax one comes along.

Last edited by pinholecam; 10-17-2013 at 08:23 PM.
10-17-2013, 08:17 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FoTom Quote
The new A7 and A7R EVIL cameras are, in my opinion, what we've been lusting over at Pentax. Many of us have dreamed about a full-frame K-02, or the fabled full-frame K-3. This mirrorless beasts are everything everybody has desired [except maybe an optical viewfinder] ..and I still don't want one. Not that I could buy it anyway, but for some reason, it doesn't give me a good vibe. Maybe it's that I've always disliked Sony dSLRs, or that I'm more interested in getting a K-3, but the point is that it's "meh" for me at this point.

What do you think? About the camera, about Pentax ever going full-frame, about reviving the K-0x lineup, and about other brands going for full-frame EVILness?
I sure would love a K-02, a full-frame K-3 [K-1 maybe?], and whatever brand but preferably Pentax or Canon, a not-at-all fancy full-frame dSLR. Small, with nothing else but Aperture, Speed and ISO controls. A digital K-1000, or in my personal case, my Vivitar V3800n gone digital.

I think the photography industry can do this and has been able to for some time now, but for some rea$on, they've not done it. And I am glad they're finally getting there =]
So ... why do you ask ?

JP
10-17-2013, 08:42 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I also agree that the Sony A7 series is where large sensor camera gear is going. The mechanically "complex" mirror box gives way to an electrically "complex" electronic viewfinder. A lot of people want this but some people will still go for the unrivaled clarity of a OVF and hence traditional DSLR cameras will remain. I would love to see some sort of HUD overlaid on a traditional optical viewfinder system and that's what I would choose for myself.

As long as Pentax uses Sony sensors I don't think we'll ever see a large sensor mirrorless Pentax. I bet Pentax and Sony signed a do-not-compete agreement. Sony will provide Pentax sensors as long as Pentax doesn't tread on Sony's mirror less-only camera lineup.