Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-04-2013, 09:15 PM   #181
Veteran Member

I love the dials on this camera, and the homage to the FM series via the pentaprism, but the only thing that looks naff to me is the DOF & Function Button area; that raised silver area looks way wrong compared to the rest of the aesthetic.

Last edited by bossa; 11-04-2013 at 09:22 PM.
11-04-2013, 09:18 PM   #182
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
I'd think if this new DF camera lives up to its "simplicity", you should not need to operate any of those buttons on the back while your eye is glued to the viewfinder. Set your camera up with the dials on top, concentrate on composition and perhaps moving the focus point in the viewfinder for an off center composition among other minor things and shoot. Even today on a DSLR I only access those back buttons after the shot when in a moment of pause. It's not hard to find them then.
I hope with that price tag this camera can zoom to 100% with OK button, so the left buttons doesnt have to be accessed so often
11-05-2013, 08:10 AM   #183
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I love the control layout and the fact you can use the two "digital" control dials to still control aperture and shutter like on a conventional modern camera.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to own this camera. I am in love with the layout and design. I would buy a Fuji too if it wasn't for the fact I don't like range finders but love the dial setup.

I just think that at the end of the day this camera is priced way to high. I bet the margins on it see stupid. It brings nothing new to the table and just recycles parts from the other three FX Series cameras. It should be a $2000 kit at most.

I will wait for the sequel or for Pentax to follow suit. But I will not be buying a Df.

Cool camera. Stupid price.

11-05-2013, 08:20 AM   #184
Veteran Member

Looks like it could be good, to me, if they got the ergo right. Looks like it has plenty of dials and set-by-feel switches and such, details being pretty important there.

The kind of thing I'd have been looking for when going digital, myself: Canon seeming to have been in no hurry to put out an FD-mount digital, It was down to pairing some Nikon with like an FE or FE2, or Pentax with like an LX or something. It looks like the specs don't match the price, but if money weren't an object they might suffice for my own purposes.

I do wonder if they might not just as well have put a more full-sized foregrip on there for battery purposes, though.

QuoteOriginally posted by konraDarnok Quote
Supporting a cable release is flatly ridiculous, and the mess of anonymous switches is not indicative of good design.
I always considered that to be an omission I missed about moern cameras, actually, one reason I'm with Pentax in the first place is I don't want engineers telling me what basics I don't need. Like, say, a plain old fashioned pc jack for flash. Think double cable release on a bellows, or a bunch of old flash brackets one might have gotten used to in the old days. May not come up a lot, but what's the harm in having the threaded bit, really, can save a lot of elaborate workarounds.

11-05-2013, 08:25 AM   #185
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
It's a pity they retained a rear LCD and thus wimped out on the 'purist' notion.

Having a DSLR that didn't allow rear-LCD chimping would have been a genuine return to the days when photogs couldn't waste a shot. It would also have forced Nikon to re-think the control dials and switches.
For that experience, don't tape over your LCD: buy teeny tiny memory cards and put them in a pocketfull of film cans. (one pocket each, shot/unshot. )

(As for general complaints about Pentax not doing this, or the K-3 being 'instead' of something like this, well, nothing says they can't. The K-3 seems to have the stuff you'd probably want in a FF Pentax, I'm less concerned about them doing something first than getting it right. )

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 11-05-2013 at 08:36 AM.
11-05-2013, 08:50 AM   #186
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
Cool camera. Stupid price.
D600 esque firesale incoming? I hope not, I wish this camera success so that Pentax can get one going too at one point.

Regarding rear lcd, it just ocured to me that since nikon slr always comes with those ugly plastic LCD cover things, spraying black paint on it would be a relatively easy and cheap way to disable the LCD

Of course you can just disable instant preview but can you resist not chimping?
11-05-2013, 08:56 AM   #187
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
...nikon slr always comes with those ugly plastic LCD cover things...
You do realize those "stupid" covers are just protection for shipping. You are suppose to get a real optical one an put it there for protection and better visibility over the plastic ones . IMHO, that is a good thing. But I suppose you'd rather scratch up the real screen instead of a sacrificial one.

11-05-2013, 09:06 AM   #188
Veteran Member

You do realize those "stupid" covers are just protection for shipping. You are suppose to get a real optical one an put it there for protection and better visibility over the plastic ones . IMHO, that is a good thing. But I suppose you'd rather scratch up the real screen instead of a sacrificial one.
Seriously? I never knew that You're right, that's actually a great thing. Consider me enlightened

For the record I do put those plastic ones on mine except the D600 where I have the GGS. The scratches, water getting stuck, and reduced contrast of the plastic ones annoy me (hence my opinion on it); now that I know better I suppose it's my own fault

It just occurred to me that this is what pure photography looks like for me, far cry from the D600 back on the Df

Last edited by Andi Lo; 11-05-2013 at 09:27 AM.
11-05-2013, 09:16 AM - 3 Likes   #189
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In other news, Apple has just announced the new iPhone 6, with the tag line " Just talk."
11-05-2013, 11:29 AM - 1 Like   #190
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
You can't have buttons on a phone! That is way too digital.
How can you get the true sense of dialing your numbers with buttons?
11-05-2013, 12:02 PM   #191
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Or better yet a crank that you can spin and then tell Mabel the exchange you want.
(Or Siri)
11-05-2013, 04:23 PM   #192
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
As always, Steve foresaw this development as well.
He discussed and dismissed vintage gadgets during his legendary iPhone presentation

11-05-2013, 04:49 PM   #193
Veteran Member

Yes, vintage seems to be having it's day in cameras at the moment - the Fujifilms (X series etc), the recent Olympuses, even Pentax (the MX-1), now Nikon. And the return by young hipsters to old film ('analogue') cameras, the older and more beat-up the better, to be worn around the neck even if there is no film in them.

Fashion.
11-05-2013, 06:48 PM   #194
Veteran Member

I leave mine on. I'd rather have the screen get beat to crap than the LCD. So whatever.

P.S. the Nikon manual for my D800 states:

QuoteQuote:
A clear plastic cover is provided with the camera to keep the monitor clean and protect it when the camera is not in use.
Doesn't say anything about shipping. but thats nitpicking I know.
11-08-2013, 05:25 PM   #195
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
It looks great but it's way to expensive. Especially given the spec sheet. They should have priced it between the D7100 and D610
I think they're aiming it at Leica buyers...
It actually doesn't make a lot of sense (low MP chip but slow frame rates...no video, etc.)...seems like more a mishmash of spare parts they wanted to get rid of

Still...I think this kills Pentax's FF play for next year, though Pentax's offering will have a much more user-friendly UI and hopefully better support for old lens aperture reading that they took out a while back...