Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-21-2013, 05:35 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
Here lies the key. Pentax is a small concern which has to target specific developments - if they turn out to be wrong then it's adios.
Come on, some of the items on the consumers whishlists were so highly probably to succeed that I find that excuse unsatisfactory. The longer they wait, the more of the whishlist items will be fullfilled by the competition, the harder they will make it for themselves.

10-21-2013, 05:40 AM   #32
Veteran Member

If Pentax can't release a full line of FF products then their last shot in the gun this year MUST be a limited edition LX-D with a revitalized trio of HD FA limiteds. If that's not it then it must be a 645D MKII (mirrorless) with at least a 60MP sensor and with a FF crop mode allowing connection of legacy lenses via an adapter.

I was going to buy a K-3 but I'm starting to feel like I'd be better off selling my Pentax gear and just finishing off my Nikon system. I have no emotional attachment to Nikon, unlike Pentax, but that's probably a good thing.

Sooner, rather than later, you have to release something that sparks the imagination of the punters or you may as well go home and smoke your pipe. The *brand* identity must be fed.
10-21-2013, 05:43 AM   #33
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
That's so completely wrong.
I expect Ricoh Imaging to have a strategy and to follow it relentlessly (of course, adapting to the ever-changing market conditions). I don't expect Ricoh Imaging to jump in all directions, as soon as the next market fad starts being rumored.
Well, I don't think remarks were wrong as you say. First of all, users are defining the brand too, not just the legal owner, and users were literally crawling on the floor begging for years for a K-mount body DSLR in retro style. Instead, they were given the K-01 — a quirky half-product.

There is another problem too: a company like Sony and Nikon can churn out any kind of offer and see what works for them. In such a spray and pray marketing model, they can stomp on fertile ground of some other smaller camera maker too. The market has come to such a state of saturation that there are literally dozens of approaches and still a rare few not yet explored. Retro DSLR wasn't explored, and Pentax users thought Pentax could thrive there for a while (alongside the more conventional DSLR line) before others come. Pentax could grow deeper roots before the storm. That was years ago.

Now feel the storm coming and no other root system for the K-mount:

– no retro DSLR for Pentax (even APS-C) to expand the offer,
– conventional DSLR line is merely catching up,
– the K-01 project is abandoned.
– no FF either.

So you see, there was nothing wrong with that original idea, but it's wrong to call it wrong simply because the legal owner of the brand has overseen it, or is coming too late to it. What is true in Ricoh's case exactly, we'll most likely never know, but is pointless to say that the legal brand owner is always right.

Last edited by Uluru; 10-21-2013 at 06:03 AM.
10-21-2013, 05:43 AM   #34
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
I was going to buy a K-3 but I'm starting to feel like I'd be better off selling my Pentax gear and just finishing off my Nikon system. I have no emotional attachment to Nikon, unlike Pentax, but that's probably a good thing.
It's pretty much impossible to overlook Nikon at this point, especially for prime shooters.

I'm not so big on the 800's cost and huge MP count, and would like a faster shutter that the 600 doesn't have, and the 600's prices, as I've illustrated, are retardedly low now. I'd give up 1/8000 to get that FF sensor, and high ISO capability. For lenses, fast 50, and a sigma 35 1.4. Nothing else needed for me.

10-21-2013, 05:52 AM   #35
Veteran Member

The D800E is a great camera but there are still holes in the Nikon lens offerings. There's no cheap 400mm and the 24-70 isn't all that great on a D800e for starters. I find myself spending a lot of time trying to get my K-5 to focus the way I want with my remaining lenses whereas I set and forget my Nikon stuff and just get on with taking pictures. As much as I love what the K-3 appears to be, I don't really need it because I have two D800E's. My Pentax connection is an emotional one that I need to get over, and move on from, if I am to enjoy this activity.
10-21-2013, 06:02 AM   #36
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by snake Quote
especially for prime shooters.
Which is why I said that. Pentax prides itself on the primes, but Nikon's offerings are quite a bit more compelling.
10-21-2013, 06:07 AM   #37
Banned

Which is why I said that. Pentax prides itself on the primes, but Nikon's offerings are quite a bit more compelling.
Exactly, and which is paradoxical, because that is indeed what Pentax users were pointing out to the company for years and years.
Ricoh has literally allowed — better to say, openly invited — others to graze on their turf and claim the game. Unfortunately, they didn't act in time, and didn't act with a full responsibility and excitement for its users.

For example, Fuji's market share is at about the same level right now. However, only three years ago Fuji didn't have its X-mount system at all, and the K-mount was already on the market for decades.

Last edited by Uluru; 10-21-2013 at 06:19 AM.
10-21-2013, 06:18 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Pentax doesn't pride itself on the primes, Pentaxians with all the nice discontinued fast primes do. Recently Pentax has been mainly focussing on slow zooms. The newest fast prime is the DA* 55 F1.4. And from the roadmap I assume that they will continue focussing on slow zooms. There's even a ltd zoom comming up.
10-21-2013, 06:19 AM   #39
Veteran Member

I must say I'm beginning to enjoy the mixed metaphors in this thread.

Is Nikon a football-loving Aberdeen Angus bull which has skated over thin ice, broken into someone's garden and is now taking a shot at the roses while the owners are inside boiling everything down to a hand of bridge? Discuss.

If anyone from Japan is reading this thread they must be completely and utterly baffled.
10-21-2013, 06:30 AM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
If anyone from Japan is reading this thread they must be completely and utterly baffled.
That's the key. Maybe we should translate the entire "Dear Pentax..."-thread into Japanese?!

All joking aside, I'm afraid that it is now 100% clear that Pentax does not read these forums at all.
10-21-2013, 06:45 AM   #41
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
All joking aside, I'm afraid that it is now 100% clear that Pentax does not read these forums at all.
I think they admitted that when asked more directly some time ago.
10-21-2013, 06:56 AM   #42
Veteran Member

The K-3 excitement..... apparently only lasted less than 2 weeks, the sensor-based AA filter certainly make a huge splash in the camera news. Then A7, A7R bring more excitement, less than a week, Nikon come.

Really feel bad for PENTAX.. K-3 is really a solid camera, with exciting new features, but when everyone is headed to smaller camera with FF sensor, we still only house a APSC sensor.

The market is tough, that's for sure. K-3, so much to love, but then again so many other options out there. I don't think PENTAX can have a flagship product cycle of 3 yrs like the K5.

edit: but... we already have a retro camera, in MX-1...

Last edited by LFLee; 10-21-2013 at 07:11 AM.
10-21-2013, 07:01 AM   #43
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
It's always been the case and I'm glad, in fact, that they made this clarification.
10-21-2013, 07:07 AM - 1 Like   #44
JPT
Pentaxian

Some commenters are very quick to dismiss the K-3. I'm sitting here with the brochure for the K-3 in front of me and I'm astounded by all the new and improved features in it. Almost every critical system is improved. I've also browsed several reviews in Japanese magazines and the sensor performance looks very close to the D600 and 6D and sometimes better. Just wait until some users get hold of it to see what it can really do. It also gives Ricoh an excellent platform to build an FF system on if that's the way they are going to go.

This rumoured Nikon camera sounded interesting until I saw the 765g weight. How similar to the 540g FM2 can it really be if it weighs that much? It sounds like a standard FF DSLR with cosmetic changes and maybe old-school control dials. Then think about the size of Nikon's FF lenses.
10-21-2013, 07:22 AM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
Some commenters are very quick to dismiss the K-3. I'm sitting here with the brochure for the K-3 in front of me and I'm astounded by all the new and improved features in it. Almost every critical system is improved. I've also browsed several reviews in Japanese magazines and the sensor performance looks very close to the D600 and 6D and sometimes better. Just wait until some users get hold of it to see what it can really do. It also gives Ricoh an excellent platform to build an FF system on if that's the way they are going to go.

This rumoured Nikon camera sounded interesting until I saw the 765g weight. How similar to the 540g FM2 can it really be if it weighs that much? It sounds like a standard FF DSLR with cosmetic changes and maybe old-school control dials. Then think about the size of Nikon's FF lenses.
The K-3 will be great for sure, as we pentaxians know it. I think it is the fact that the market now heading to the smaller FF camera and Ricoh/Pentax seem to be slow again - and again failed to 'do-it-first' that has some disappointed. If K-3 is FF, imagine how it will rock the camera world?

I personally think Ricoh will bring something exciting product in coming years, it is a company that bring out GXR system - that take a lot of guts to do so.