Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-28-2013, 03:58 AM   #121
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This second 'teasing' video is so funny. They seem to build a character little more at here. It is so funny. In first one they did not show how he got there where he was. I presume that this is continuing after first one. This urban guy is wandering through forest. He ends up at river, out of blue. He gets surprised and obiously is excited of what he sees. Then he points and shoots. I just wonder if they had some other vantage point in mind instead of this little river, since he is not pictured in this scene, just half portrait... Really entertaining. Thank you!

10-28-2013, 08:18 AM   #122
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
This camera makes less sense for a Nikon user base than it would a FF-less one like Pentax.

If I had ~$1.6K to spend, would I spend it on a fully functional camera (ie. creature comfort of AF, A-everthing; whiz-bang metering, etc) like a D610 or do I waste it on a manual camera that only takes Nikon lenses?
Not to mention that modern Nikon lenses are 'bleh' as a visual compliment mounted on a FM2 looking camera with loosy focusing ring and all.

If its aimed at the fashionista, its a gamble, as to how big the market is that and how many of these will actually buy into the system (ie. lenses).

For the camera enthusiast, I'd rather put my money with the A7/r since that is able to play around with more lens types/brands.
10-28-2013, 08:32 AM   #123
Veteran Member

Hmm. There's a lot to be said for auto diaphragm and open diaphragm metering. AFAIK only Pentax and Nikon do that.
10-28-2013, 09:51 AM   #124
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
like a D610 or do I waste it on a manual camera that only takes Nikon lenses?.
When I see cameras like these, I think of them as your 2nd or 3rd camera in your lineup. If you can only afford one camera and it has to do everything, naturally the versatility of a conventional DSLR is hard to beat.

10-28-2013, 08:30 PM   #125
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
Who else thinks this was going to be Pentax's FF "play" next year?
I do! I do!

Perhaps they will pull a rabbit out of their hat and "out Nikon" Nikon with a better camera in the same category?

Steve
10-28-2013, 08:31 PM   #126
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
No video in "low power mode" .... What the hell does that mean?
It means that the onboard battery is small? Bigger battery in accessory grip?

Steve
10-28-2013, 08:32 PM   #127
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
nikon has a teaser video now:

Nikon - Pure Photography #1 - YouTube
I watched all three videos.

I want the camera...

Steve

10-29-2013, 08:12 AM - 1 Like   #128
Veteran Member

Nasim Mansurov is excited like a child too :)

Nikon DF - a remarkable Digital Fusion

I looked at the specs again and I changed my mind. No longer I see an interchangeable viewfinder.

It now seems to me the Nikon DF is positioned BELOW the D610:

- Same FX, fps, 39pt AF module, single SD
- Same 2k rather than 91k metering system
- 16MP rather than 24MP
- no video, audio, no AV plugs, maybe no HDMI
- no shoulder LCD
- weather-sealed or not?
- but: dials with click noise
- but: sturdy metal construction 765g
- but: large pentapsrim housing, maybe 100% 0.8x with MF matte screen

It may fill the price gap between D5300 and D610 and may sit right where Pentax tries the K-3 to position.

I now feel the DF may be $1800 (or less) list price proposationwith street prices more like $1500. Former territory of enthusiast APSC dSLRs.

Moreover, with reference to focus on photography again, the fun and art aspects of it, it is directly steered towards the core values of the Pentaxian community. It could be the camera looking exactly the way Pentaxians always hoped Pentax would made: Full frame, but small, fun and affordable.
10-29-2013, 08:32 AM   #129
Pentaxian

I weighed my Spotmatic F. It is pretty close to the reported mass of this retro DF. And that Sportmatic feels VERY solid.
10-29-2013, 08:55 AM   #130
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Moreover, with reference to focus on photography again, the fun and art aspects of it, it is directly steered towards the core values of the Pentaxian community. It could be the camera looking exactly the way Pentaxians always hoped Pentax would made: Full frame, but small, fun and affordable.
That's the third time in a very short period that other brands are introducing cameras that we would have hoped and expected Pentax to introduce. Seems like Nikon and Sony are doing a better job at using PF for research then Pentax.
10-29-2013, 12:53 PM   #131
Forum Member

D4 sensor, meh, why?

Put the 36MP sensor in that bad boy, it's more in line with the methodical ultimate image quality shit they are trying to push.

Am I crazy?
10-29-2013, 01:24 PM   #132

I for one would welcome a new Nikon FX body with the D4 sensor.. not everyone wants to deal with 24-36MP images that they would get in a D600/D800. Plus you get the clean high ISO performance with it..

Reminds me of when Nikon came out with the D3 and then released the D700 using the same sensor. So perhaps this new Nikon DF is the true successor to the D700.. a rugged compact FX body utilising the sensor from their large pro body.
10-29-2013, 01:46 PM   #133
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
... or do I waste it on a manual camera that only takes Nikon lenses?
Not to mention that modern Nikon lenses are 'bleh' as a visual compliment mounted on a FM2 looking camera with loosy focusing ring and all.
If you wanted a retro camera and manual focus lenses that visually fit the part, there are actually quite a few lenses without "loosy" focusing rings

afaik the following are still being produced in F-mount:

samyang 14 2.8
zeiss distagon 15 2.8
zeiss distagon 18 3.5
nikon ais 20 2.8
voigtlander 20 3.5
zeiss distagon 21 2.8
nikon ais 24 2.8
samyang 24 1.4
samyang 24 3.5
zeiss distagon 25 2.0
zeiss distagon 25 2.8
zeiss distagon 28 2.0
nikon ais 28 2.8
voigtlander 28 2.8
nikon ais 35 1.4
zeiss distagon 35 1.4
samyang 35 1.4
zeiss distagon 35 2
voigtlander 40 2
nikon ais 50 1.2
nikon ais 50 1.4
zeiss planar 50 1.4
zeiss makro-planar 50 2
zeiss otus 55 1.4
nikon ais 55 2.8
voigtlander 58 1.4
zeiss planar 85 1.4
samyang 85 1.4
zeiss makro-planar 100 2
nikon ais 105 2.8
zeiss apo sonnar 135 2

obviously all share the same caveat, manual focus only.

Nikon also has a great autofocus lineup but you're absolutely right about their appearance, they would look strange on a retro body...
10-29-2013, 02:14 PM   #134
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by twilight_samurai Quote
I for one would welcome a new Nikon FX body with the D4 sensor.. not everyone wants to deal with 24-36MP images that they would get in a D600/D800. Plus you get the clean high ISO performance with it..

Reminds me of when Nikon came out with the D3 and then released the D700 using the same sensor. So perhaps this new Nikon DF is the true successor to the D700.. a rugged compact FX body utilising the sensor from their large pro body.
Yes, I think a lot of people were reminded of the D3/D700.
The issue for me is that the high-iso performance between the higher and lower MP sensors isn't nearly as striking as before, and this camera doesn't seem to be marketed towards people who want high fps, so if the only benefits are slightly better high-iso and easier to manage files, meh.

I saw this the other day and was really surprised...
D4 vs D800E high ISO: Nikon FX SLR (D1-D4, D600-D800) Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

There are certainly real-world situations where the extra DR in high iso with the D4 sensor will pay off but I think I would prefer better DR at base sensitivity and higher resolution on a camera like this...

I suppose it acts as a better companion to a D800 if it has a D4 sensor, and providing the option for this sensor to people who can't afford the D4 is a great move by Nikon, the D800 isn't unreasonably priced anyway.
10-30-2013, 05:15 AM   #135
Pentaxian

I will admit that I'm partial to a well executed retro look, but I don't get the excitement about a camera that appears to look like a film camera from the 80's.

Again, a high standard of manufacturing and mechanical precision appeals to me, but isn't it the case that modern DSLRs have a pronounced grip for ergonomic reasons, not just to house a battery?

Was there no progress in industrial design since the 80's?

I consider myself "old-fashioned" but I don't see the point in moving backwards in terms of ergonomics and flexibility just to make something look like its from the "good old days".