Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
10-21-2013, 10:02 PM   #76
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
It has put Leica and Fuji on the map, and back from dead. Retro look works in photographic industry.
It seems that is what people like — classic beauty with modern tech — but seldom get it, and that's exactly why it works.

For example, Fuji is now on the same level of market share as Pentax, and just 3 years ago they didn't have their own X mount and retros styles cameras. Do I need to mention Pentax was on the market with its own mount for decades and didn't move?

Nikon is addressing one important segment of its own market not catered for years. It may open up new possibilities for them too, as it did for Leica and Fuji.

K-01 project is abandoned. Whatever the reason, but now only 3 new cameras represent the entire K-mount offer.
I have stated repeatedly that K-3 alone, or three-only camera approach, cannot help Pentax brand, and that more K-mount bodies in different styles are needed to make it interesting in the crowd that likes slimmer cameras, retro cameras, etc.

This is not rant: just repeatedly iterated opinion that other companies are now taking advantage of.
Yes, I'm aware of this. But is there really need for it is another story. There must be a lot of people who want retrostyle camera and so. But there is nothing revolutionary with that.

I do think also that for example K-3 cannot be overlooked nor K-50, and they make a nice base for things with other things like MX, WG, GR cameras. Also there is still this 645D to be on the top.

What I also agree is that Ricoh/Pentax needs something bigger and flashier to make their brand more known. This will have to be seen, but with out good base and more importantly great up to date technique it is pointless to make a new shiny shell.

But that is another story. Let us see what will happen with this new shiny thing at the meanwhile.

10-21-2013, 11:10 PM   #77
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by snake Quote
It's pretty much impossible to overlook Nikon at this point, especially for prime shooters.

I'm not so big on the 800's cost and huge MP count, and would like a faster shutter that the 600 doesn't have, and the 600's prices, as I've illustrated, are retardedly low now. I'd give up 1/8000 to get that FF sensor, and high ISO capability. For lenses, fast 50, and a sigma 35 1.4. Nothing else needed for me.
I think you are onto something here, but neglecting the 85 1.8g is blasphemy.
10-22-2013, 04:44 AM   #78
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by azimuthal Quote
I think you are onto something here, but neglecting the 85 1.8g is blasphemy.
I'd almost certainly do the Sigma 85 1.4
10-22-2013, 07:24 AM   #79
Veteran Member

Apparently it's closer in looks to an F3, and may be bigger than we hoped... very interesting.

Announcement coming in two weeks time. So first week of November.

Let's hope Pentax beats them to the punch at the New York show. But I doubt it...

I need to know more about this camera! The life of my K3 pre-order hangs in the balance...

10-22-2013, 07:50 AM   #80
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
Apparently it's closer in looks to an F3, and may be bigger than we hoped... very interesting.

Announcement coming in two weeks time. So first week of November.

Let's hope Pentax beats them to the punch at the New York show. But I doubt it...

I need to know more about this camera! The life of my K3 pre-order hangs in the balance...
Back in the day I had a classic combo of FE2 with 28mm, 50mm and 135mm, eventually supplemented with a smokeh-bokeh fast 105mm. Almost sounds as if this will bring things full circle. If it does and is affordable and is absolutely non-bling in materials and build, I'd be very interested. No faux wood grip or Svarovski crystals on the dials thanks. I suppose this is a typical boomer response but why not? The K3 sounds a very good camera but it isn't an exciting one either.
10-22-2013, 09:10 AM   #81
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
Back in the day I had a classic combo of FE2 with 28mm, 50mm and 135mm, eventually supplemented with a smokeh-bokeh fast 105mm. Almost sounds as if this will bring things full circle. If it does and is affordable and is absolutely non-bling in materials and build, I'd be very interested. No faux wood grip or Svarovski crystals on the dials thanks. I suppose this is a typical boomer response but why not? The K3 sounds a very good camera but it isn't an exciting one either.
I totally agree. the K3 is exciting because it's Pentax and we finally got a new body, but thats about it. The new AF system is the big news there. I'll still get one either way, it just may be delayed as the Nikon could be the more exciting product.

As for this Nikon, I'm hoping for a mag body/plastic shell, 1/8000" shutter (but would live with 1/4000), a 3-5 exposure HDR, and a pretty quick buffer (judging from the 16mp vs processor to be powering this thing I would expect a quick clear time), maybe some basic weather sealing, and I'm hoping for $1500 or so price point. I'm willing to give up "pro" features for a lower priced FF camera thats more compact. I doubt it will be Sony A7 compact, but even if its K5 size or smaller it will be hard to resist. I think if it's K5 sized, and is priced right it will be near impossible to resist. And I think with a 16mp sensor that they are going for a sub D600 price point
10-22-2013, 09:29 AM   #82
Pentaxian

... and is priced right it will be near impossible to resist.
I think it's going to be on the expensive side. It might take a year to come down in price. With the reported weight, it doesn't sound like much carbon fiber or plastic is being used in its construction.

10-22-2013, 05:32 PM   #83
Veteran Member

Nikon's retro full frame camera coming in two weeks | Nikon Rumors
10-22-2013, 06:00 PM   #84
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
I think it's going to be on the expensive side. It might take a year to come down in price. With the reported weight, it doesn't sound like much carbon fiber or plastic is being used in its construction.
depends on how badly they "cripple" it. I could see them stripping features (like video) left right and centre. This isn't going to be a product to replace the D4, D800, or D600. This is going to be an alternative product aimed at style oriented photographers, nostalgic shooters, and visual shoppers. In a sea of black standard "modern" DSLR's a retro camera will stick out like a sore thumb. The OMD EM5 already does when I look at the line of cameras on the shelf at my local stores. The sea of Nikon, Canon, and Pentax DSLR's just blends in with itself... so by throwing something different in the mix it will grab the attention of new buyers. If they price it right they will pickup a lot of shooters. I think the 16mp sensor, no video, and retro are the triggers for this being the lowest priced Nikon FF.

Of course it could go the other way and be a $2000+ kit with this new 50mm lens. And really...the fact they are packaging it with a prime is incredibly interesting, and could foreshadow the complete opposite of my theory above...it could mean that this kit is luxury item for enthusiasts slotted between the D600 and D800.
10-22-2013, 06:57 PM   #85
Veteran Member

Without HD video and at 16MP is won't be targeted at the gear junkie so much as at the pure still image photographer who knows exactly what they want. No MP overload, no HD video, and no zoomy kit lens.

The 50mm F/1.8 G is a really good lens for the money, but not a lens you would expect in a high dollar kit. Its a lens for the beginner enthusiast. This could be like the K-1000/50mm F/2 kits that sold by the boat loads in photography schools around the country.
10-22-2013, 06:58 PM   #86
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Who else thinks this was going to be Pentax's FF "play" next year? Pentax's design engineers are probably really bummed out right about now :-P

I'm guessing Nikon's body will be around $1600-1700...a bit less than the Sony A7..
10-22-2013, 07:26 PM   #87
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Without HD video and at 16MP is won't be targeted at the gear junkie so much as at the pure still image photographer who knows exactly what they want. No MP overload, no HD video, and no zoomy kit lens.

The 50mm F/1.8 G is a really good lens for the money, but not a lens you would expect in a high dollar kit. Its a lens for the beginner enthusiast. This could be like the K-1000/50mm F/2 kits that sold by the boat loads in photography schools around the country.
The 50 f1.8 G is actually under rated, I love it. But yes, I agree, I think this is for the still image photographer...but I think many of them are gear junkies
10-23-2013, 10:12 AM   #88
Veteran Member

The new rumor is $3000 body only. My K3 pre-order is safe

10-23-2013, 11:00 AM   #89
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As much as I like the rendition of many Nikon glasses, this isn't at least for me something that would entice me to buy into another system altogether. I have more compelling reasons to get A7r than this one I would say . . . . Very interesting time though.
10-23-2013, 02:14 PM   #90
Veteran Member

The new rumor is $3000 body only. My K3 pre-order is safe
The new rumor has some questionable specs.

16MP FF without AA filter? That would be a bad idea.
No video in "low power mode" .... What the hell does that mean?
hybrid mechanical shutter?

The the new rumor is from an unknown source:
Today I received another list of specifications from a new source (take them with a grain of salt) ...