Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
11-04-2013, 04:36 PM   #166
Pentaxian

For nearly $3K, I'd expect more than their consumer DX focus system.

You might not think you need fast, accurate AF with all these manual controls. But really, for me, I still would want it. When you walk into a scene, there usually is plenty of time to set the primary controls. It's when you hold it up to eye, see the expression someone is making and want to snap the shot now!

11-04-2013, 05:55 PM   #167
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
It looks great but it's way to expensive. Especially given the spec sheet. They should have priced it between the D7100 and D610
Too expensive? It's a retro full frame listed at $1296.95 on snapsort.
http://snapsort.com/compare/Nikon-D610-vs-Nikon-DF That is exactly the path I remember one member here exhorting Pentax to go down during his phone interview with the North America CEO.

Sounds like they beat Pentax to the punch again. Doomed.

Apparently no weather sealing though, at least that is the listed claimed here: http://snapsort.com/cameras/Nikon-DF

More info: http://fullym.com/progress-nikon-df-photos-leak/

Last edited by bigrex; 11-04-2013 at 06:02 PM.
11-04-2013, 06:00 PM   #168
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pretty sure I saw its going to be 2750$ body only

11-04-2013, 06:02 PM   #169
Forum Member

Pretty sure I saw its going to be 2750$ body only

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
I guess we shall see tomorrow, apparently they might reveal it then.

11-04-2013, 06:03 PM   #170
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bigrex Quote
I guess we shall see tomorrow, apparently they might reveal it then.
I noticed on your website link if you click it you are brought to the Nikon A

11-04-2013, 06:03 PM   #171
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bigrex Quote
Too expensive? It's a retro full frame listed at $1296.95 on snapsort.
Nikon D610 vs DF - Our Analysis
Strange, when I go to Adorama and search for Nikon DF, nothing shows up. And Amazon had at one point listed it for nearly $3K
11-04-2013, 06:04 PM   #172
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
I don't think the design is clean enough for a 2014 retro camera.
I agree.

It looks like the last model in an end of a line where there was a need to add yet more extras but without any natural space left to put controls.

To me that's the "Nikon Adenoids".

Its a bit of a Nikon style, I think -- their P7700 has more controls than you'd ever think you'd need as well -- but I don't find it appealing.

11-04-2013, 06:09 PM   #173
Forum Member

I noticed on your website link if you click it you are brought to the Nikon A

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Which link? I posted three.
11-04-2013, 06:17 PM   #174
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Guys, forget the snapsort link. It has an automagically generated link to Nikon DF-... which used to be an add on viewfinder. Just ignore it.

Amazon had the real thing online for 20 min or so.

It is $ 2750 body only. I've seen and clicked the page myself. That's the list price abd nothing new wrt price is keft to be learned.
11-04-2013, 06:24 PM   #175
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nikon rumors says Nikon Df body only price: $2,746.95, kit: $2,996.95 (kit being with the 50 1.8 lens)
11-04-2013, 07:17 PM   #176
Veteran Member

As myself and many others have been saying for a few years now, "Where's the LX-D?"

They could have designed a FF at the same time as the K-3 and released a "Limited" kit with 3 FA limited primes in Silver or black.

Great artists, scientists, designers, teachers (ANYONE who's great within their field) have finely tuned INTUITION that they've learned to listen to - Ignore your intuition at your peril. It seems down at Ricohville they have a Vulcan mind suppression mode for that.

Clowns!

Last edited by bossa; 11-04-2013 at 07:48 PM.
11-04-2013, 08:02 PM   #177
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
As myself and many others have been saying for a few years now, "Where's the LX-D?"

They could have designed a FF at the same time as the K-3 and released a "Limited" kit with 3 FA limited primes in Silver or black.

Great artists, scientists, designers, teachers (ANYONE who's great within their field) have finely tuned INTUITION that they've learned to listen to - Ignore your intuition at your peril. It seems down at Ricohville they have a Vulcan mind suppression mode for that.

Clowns!
What if their intuition is to stick to APSC? I'd say it's actually not a bad bet at the moment. All camera sales are dropping but Ricoh is expecting profits, that means they're doing just great.

I know it's not a perfect solution but if you really want to shoot FA lims on FF, you actually have four options today, they're just not labeled Ricoh (Pentax film, Sony A800/900, Sony A7, and Canon 5D)

Although I really like the Df I think it's a solution looking for a problem. One of the joys of shooting film body is that they're lightweight and cheap, not something I get from this Nikon Df. I'd love to be proven wrong though, and see the product line expand. I will really welcome a lightweight version of Nikon Df with a good bright VF.

What is the info button doing in the bottom left? That's the easiest button to access on the left side and info is the most useless function. I really hope it's customizable.

Last edited by Andi Lo; 11-04-2013 at 08:10 PM.
11-04-2013, 08:29 PM   #178
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
What if their intuition is to stick to APSC? I'd say it's actually not a bad bet at the moment. All camera sales are dropping but Ricoh is expecting profits, that means they're doing just great.

I know it's not a perfect solution but if you really want to shoot FA lims on FF, you actually have four options today, they're just not labeled Ricoh (Pentax film, Sony A800/900, Sony A7, and Canon 5D)

Although I really like the Df I think it's a solution looking for a problem. One of the joys of shooting film body is that they're lightweight and cheap, not something I get from this Nikon Df. I'd love to be proven wrong though, and see the product line expand. I will really welcome a lightweight version of Nikon Df with a good bright VF.

What is the info button doing in the bottom left? That's the easiest button to access on the left side and info is the most useless function. I really hope it's customizable.
I thought it was on the right, went back and looked. There is an "i" button on the bottom left, and an "info" button next to the live view button on the right. Hmm... maybe it is customizable? Or different functions depending shooting mode?
11-04-2013, 08:40 PM   #179
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentikonian Quote
I thought it was on the right, went back and looked. There is an "i" button on the bottom left, and an "info" button next to the live view button on the right. Hmm... maybe it is customizable? Or different functions depending shooting mode?
Ah, apparently my head is still stuck in pentaxland and thought the button on the right is called Fn button. The button on bottom left is called "i" button, and the one on the right is "info" button. What an inspiring and totally not-confusing button name.

D7100 is positioned the same way (item 2 on this site)
Nikon D7100 tips and tricks

It's a new button (not present on D600/D7000) that seems to be somewhat useful for movies, but if the rest is the same as D7100, this will be a completely useless button on prime button real estate, like the capslock key is for most typists. I complain about ISO button being hard to reach on D600, but this is even worse. I can't find info on this button being customizable on D7100.

If my suspicions are correct I'd say Nikon really need to be bought by Ricoh as well at some point, maybe then they can learn how to place buttons from Pentax Engineers ==; (four way arrow on K-x is pure genius)

Last edited by Andi Lo; 11-04-2013 at 08:47 PM.
11-04-2013, 09:02 PM   #180
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote

... but if the rest is the same as D7100, this will be a completely useless button on prime button real estate, ...
I'd think if this new DF camera lives up to its "simplicity", you should not need to operate any of those buttons on the back while your eye is glued to the viewfinder. Set your camera up with the dials on top, concentrate on composition and perhaps moving the focus point in the viewfinder for an off center composition among other minor things and shoot. Even today on a DSLR I only access those back buttons after the shot when in a moment of pause. It's not hard to find them then.