Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-20-2013, 05:49 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Another new nikon FF?

Nikonrumors says an announcement could come in the next 3 weeks!

Retro style
Standard F-mount
Pentaprism viewfinder (meaning the camera will not be mirrorless)
The camera will meter even with non-AI lenses down to full aperture
The camera will ship with a new special edition Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G lens to match the look/design of the body
The camera will have physical controls and excellent build quality (which explains the 765g weight)
Expeed 3 processor
Same sensor as in the Nikon D4
Nikon calls it a "hybrid" camera - not sure what exactly they mean with that
The announcement most likely will take place in the next 1-3 weeks

10-20-2013, 07:39 PM   #2
Veteran Member

It looks interesting. We will have to see how Nikon prices it and how it performs.
10-20-2013, 07:41 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PBandJ Quote

Retro style
Standard F-mount
The camera will ship with a new special edition Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G lens to match the look/design of the body
The camera will have physical controls and excellent build quality (which explains the 765g weight)
Expeed 3 processor
If this is similar in style to the FM2, which the Nikon Rumors site implies, that will be very interesting...
10-20-2013, 08:01 PM - 1 Like   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Retro style
Standard F-mount
Expeed 3 processor
This camera (just like a retro-styled Pentax DSLR) sounds like it would be a winner!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-20-2013, 11:43 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Nikon FM2-Style Full Frame

Well, here's more of the rumor of Nikon's answer to Sony's new A7/7r full frame camera...
LINK

Sony shook things up last week when it announced the its A7 and A7R full frame cameras. However, new rumors point to what could be a massive response from Nikon – a full frame digital camera with a design similar to the FM2.

Nikon Hybrid Full Frame Camera Specs

Nikon FM2 like design
Nikon F-mount
16.2MP 36×23,9 full frame sensor (same as Nikon D4)
Pentaprism Viewfinder
Expeed 3 processor
SD card slot
2016-pixel RGB image sensor
9-cell framing grid display
3D color matrix metering II
Native ISO range: 100-12800 (incl. ISO 50 and ISO 108,200)
5.5 fps for up to 100 shots
3.2″ LCD screen
Battery:EN-EL14
Dimensions: 143,5 x 110 x 66,5mm
Weight: 765g
Includes special edition AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G lens that matches design of new camera
Meters with non-AI lenses down to full aperture
Physical controls and excellent build quality

Holy cow if this is true.

If Nikon keeps the price reasonable, I think it will have a major hit on its hands. Other than the D4 sensor and the retro design, these specs seem pretty mellow in that they don’t scream high-end pricing.

Nikon Rumors says that it will be announced in the next 1-3 weeks; however, with PhotoPlus being next week, I would be surprised if Nikon doesn’t announce it next Tuesday night. If so, we’ll have some hands-on time with the new camera next week.

---------------
Now, Imagine this old tank camera made into full frame digital SLR...

Well,with all this news and rumors of wonderful full frame cameras, what would Pentax-Ricoh going to do about it???
10-21-2013, 02:11 AM - 1 Like   #6
Banned

That is exactly the like of a camera Pentax users were literally begging Pentax to make, for yearrrs!
As a model for it, Pentax could use any classic Pentax SLR.
And as I predicted earlier this year, if Pentax / Ricoh won't make it, Nikon will first.

Kudos to Nikon. Booo to Pentax / Ricoh — always too late, always catching up.

Seriously Ricoh / Pentax — can't you be a leader in something refreshingly new, at least for once? Or you're even catching up with that thought?

Last edited by Uluru; 10-21-2013 at 02:23 AM.
10-21-2013, 02:18 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I think that if Pentax has anything to release in the next 4 months, they need to make an announcement ASAP

10-21-2013, 02:22 AM   #8
Banned

I think that if Pentax has anything to release in the next 4 months, they need to make an announcement ASAP
Don't expect too much. They have postponed:
  • TC (for the third time!)
  • 18-70/2.8

and gave us repacked 55-300 which we already have, but now with extra few seals.
10-21-2013, 02:28 AM   #9
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by richard balonglong Quote
Well,with all this news and rumors of wonderful full frame cameras, what would Pentax-Ricoh going to do about it???
As usual. Nothing.
10-21-2013, 02:36 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Don't expect too much. They have postponed:
  • TC (for the third time!)
  • 18-70/2.8

and gave us repacked 55-300 which we already have, but now with extra few seals.
I'm just saying it from a marketing point of view- we have Sony, fuji and nikon making announcements. The dollars are going to flow somewhere. Both canon and pentax need to let their customers know they have something in the works. Silence makes it an easy decision for buyers not to consider pentax. And if the new nikon and to a lesser extent fuji can price their FF in the k-3 range, I think that will cut into k-3 sales.
10-21-2013, 02:59 AM   #11
Banned

I'm just saying it from a marketing point of view- we have Sony, fuji and nikon making announcements. The dollars are going to flow somewhere. Both canon and pentax need to let their customers know they have something in the works. Silence makes it an easy decision for buyers not to consider pentax. And if the new nikon and to a lesser extent fuji can price their FF in the k-3 range, I think that will cut into k-3 sales.

Weeks before the K-3 announcement I was very excited because of the 18-70/2.8 and TC as well. And I though that was kind of news people would love to hear, that at a major new camera release we'll finally see some major new lens designs and a TC that makes people stick with the mount and expand the usability of all current lenses.

But alas, nothing! TC postponed again! I can't actually believe it; an optics company isn't capable of designing a TC after all these years and really excite its customers during the major camera release?!

Ricoh is playing some weird game here, announce one major new camera and a rehashed, minor issue consumer zoom with it? That kind of old song lens is supposed to be announced with K500 or K50, which both were rehashes too.

K-3 alone can't do much to stand out as exciting news; this new Nikon will simply run over it and be most likely the camera of the year. This is what millions of SLR users were begging the entire imaging industry to make for a decade! The user response for this Nikon will be overwhelming, not only in Nikon camp, but everywhere.

Well, good for Nikon — at least they do care.

Last edited by Uluru; 10-21-2013 at 03:10 AM.
10-21-2013, 02:59 AM   #12
Veteran Member

That's why I'm so sceptic about the whole Pentax FF unicorn. If they were really actually serious about it, then they wouldn't let all these oppertunities slip through their fingers so easily. They should at least start with teasers yesterday, even if the actual announcement will be as far back as September 2014. All the silence about this topic is hurting them and is going to hurt much more. Even if they won't be developing an FF after all, that would be OK too. It's the silence that's frustating people.
10-21-2013, 03:06 AM   #13
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
That's why I'm so sceptic about the whole Pentax FF unicorn. If they were really actually serious about it, then they wouldn't let all these oppertunities slip through their fingers so easily.
The most unbelievable fact in all this is that users have had a much better nose than the company itself. I believe almost everyone believed retro styled DSLR would be something a company like Pentax will venture into, and indeed, users were begging Pentax for it for years.
In vain.
10-21-2013, 03:09 AM   #14
Banned

If this entire rumor is true, and provided this portion is, we might have a winner in the middle of all this.
10-21-2013, 03:37 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
That is exactly the like of a camera Pentax users were literally begging Pentax to make, for yearrrs!
As a model for it, Pentax could use any classic Pentax SLR.
And as I predicted earlier this year, if Pentax / Ricoh won't make it, Nikon will first.

Kudos to Nikon. Booo to Pentax / Ricoh — always too late, always catching up.

Seriously Ricoh / Pentax — can't you be a leader in something refreshingly new, at least for once? Or you're even catching up with that thought?
Some Pentax users. I definitely don't want it - I prefer a modern grip, and the well-thought Pentax modern interface. I must admit that the retro looks has a certain charm...

Unfortunately for some Pentax users, Ricoh cannot outdo every other camera manufacturer on the planet at everything (including having real products to beat rumors), a mere 2 years after they took over the weakened Pentax.
They did it with the K-3, which appears to be an amazing APS-C high end camera. The next time might be at CP+...

Clavius is of course wrong; Pentax Ricoh and now Ricoh Imaging are very secretive (not much was known about the K-3 except it's existence, until close to the release date). I'm amazed that Kitazawa-san was talking so openly about working on a full frame; however, that's all we'll (publicly) know for now.
But even if they weren't secretive, starting a teaser campaign almost an year before the supposed launch date? That would be a major FAIL; it would make the actual announcement a "meh" event while killing K-3 sales.