Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
10-23-2013, 09:57 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Who will get the Nikon 'FM2' like FF???

It seems Nikon is coming with a retro FF like the old FM2, to compete with Sony A7.. who would buy this if it comes out?? seems it would make a Pentax FF irrelevant!! as Nikon has the glass

First Nikon retro camera teaser: "it's in my hands again" | Nikon Rumors

10-23-2013, 10:03 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Shanti Quote
seems it would make a Pentax FF irrelevant!! as Nikon has the glass
That's ridiculous. Who wants to buy all new glass? Not to mention that with Nikon's recent track record, they'll find a way to screw this one up, too.
10-23-2013, 10:07 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
If its true then who will buy a Pentax FF,besides the loyal ones...not many new customers I would think..the D800 was ok so 3rd time lucky for Nikon maybe
10-23-2013, 10:22 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It seems Nikon is coming with a retro FF like the old FM2, to compete with Sony A7.. who would buy this if it comes out?? seems it would make a Pentax FF irrelevant!! as Nikon has the glass

Well, I'll need to see it before doing anything, but I had been thinking about buying an FM2 or FM3a from KEH, but if I could get that camera in a FF digital instead of film, I'd do it in a heartbeat. Even if it will likely cost much, much more than a used FM2. I'd love to have a camera as basic as an FM but not have to deal with film. It'd still be a heck of a lot cheaper than a Leica.

10-23-2013, 10:33 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Nikon has a lot of great legacy glass, but you're out of luck if you want to shoot anything else. Pentax has access to all the old M42 lenses, aside from K mount glass, and it at least has some potential for modified lenses. The new camera is also rumored to come out at 3k. That's heading a bit too close towards Leica land. I'd much rather have a D800e, at that price.
10-23-2013, 11:00 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

3K for the new FM2 Nikon FF digital is still 1/2 the price of a new Leica FF digital (or less.) I had a Leica M8.2 which I loved, but I sold to KEH with the lens I had for it because the price of additional lenses was so insane. Since there was a real shortage of new glass for Leica cameras, even the used prices were stratospheric. I just couldn't get my head around spending upwards of 12 to 15 thousand dollars for the Leica system I really would have liked. Right now I just have 2 Pentax K-01s (bought last Thanksgiving) with a couple of DA* limiteds, and a couple of used lenses. Oh, and 2 Q bodies with 3 lenses. All that was just a fraction of what I would have spent to continue with Leica. But I loved the mostly manual Leica camera and if the Nikon FM2 digital coming out is what it sounds like, I could easily go for that regardless of whether or not it would work with anything but Nikon glass. It's be fun to pick up some good older Nikon lenses, just like it's been fun using the older Pentax glass with the K-01.
10-23-2013, 11:59 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I would rather get the A7 if I had to choose.
It takes more lens types so I easily mix and match for the best performing and/or smallest lens combos.
I have 0 Nikon lenses.

Sony also tends to give a bit more than Nikon feature wise.

However, I'd rather wait a bit more to see what Pentax comes up with.

Btw, this should be in the non pentax section

Last edited by pinholecam; 10-24-2013 at 12:39 AM.
10-24-2013, 12:15 AM   #8
Veteran Member

wow... the ad is really a teasing. Looks like it is no longer a rumor.... "pure photography" matches the rumor of no video function.

Depending on how this is priced, and the lenses, this could be a huge for old time Nikon user (they are probably at a stage of the life where they can afford such camera). Will see.... Full frame era is here.
10-24-2013, 12:42 AM   #9
Pentaxian

While I'm still struggling to see why this is under pentax FF index, I must say that this camera is aimed for old photographers with some money. Their promotion video is quite an example of that.
10-24-2013, 12:58 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
wow... the ad is really a teasing. Looks like it is no longer a rumor.... "pure photography" matches the rumor of no video function.

Depending on how this is priced, and the lenses, this could be a huge for old time Nikon user (they are probably at a stage of the life where they can afford such camera). Will see.... Full frame era is here.
Nice ad; I'm probably right in their demographic - owned an F2AS years ago; last Nikon I owned was an F4S. Brands I've owned in the past 40 years include Nikon, Contax, Bronica, Rollei, Leica and Pentax. Went from 35mm to medium format and back (after getting tired of lugging that equipment around) and finally to digital. Never owned Canon, and the only Olympus I owned was the XA (small rangefinder 35mm.) It was all good.
10-24-2013, 07:02 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
I would rather get the A7 if I had to choose.
It takes more lens types so I easily mix and match for the best performing and/or smallest lens combos.
I have 0 Nikon lenses.

Sony also tends to give a bit more than Nikon feature wise.

However, I'd rather wait a bit more to see what Pentax comes up with.

Btw, this should be in the non pentax section
where is the non pentax section??

I thought most lenses can be adapted for Nikon? also Pentax primes? is that not so
10-24-2013, 07:25 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

where is the non pentax section??

I thought most lenses can be adapted for Nikon? also Pentax primes? is that not so
Nikon is considere a universal donor when it comes to adapting lenses. Only Leica R has a longer focal flanges distance than Nikon among the popular non-MF formats. Adapting any other mount to Nikon requires corrective optics and the adapter becomes a short tele-converter.

The non pentax section is in the Off Topic sub forum.

Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. - PentaxForums.com

Adam also has an entire site dedicated to Nikon...

NikonForums.com - Premier Nikon Community

Last edited by boriscleto; 10-24-2013 at 07:56 AM.
10-24-2013, 01:15 PM   #13
Veteran Member

The rumour first opined that the camera would be the size and shape of the FM. I got excited. Then it grew to be like an F3, which is not too bad. Now the latest gen suggests it will be the size of the D610. I could have gone for an FM-alike (I have quite a bit of new and legacy Nikon glass), but something that big won't interest me much, as it's not a lot smaller than the D800. I'll wait to see what transpires, but in any case I'll hold off buying for six months or more to see what Ricoh/Pentax come up with
10-28-2013, 07:52 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Well, I guess I am an old photographer with too much money. I will definitely check the Nikon out if/when it appears. I have been asking for a "traditional" K-mount dSLR for well-nigh half a decade. If Nikon is willing to make it, then Pentax might be the loser.

Steve
11-01-2013, 03:24 PM   #15

i would seriously consider it.