Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-04-2013, 09:40 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Re: "Pure Photography"

It's the marketing slogan Nikon's been using with the teasers for this camera: Nikon | Imaging Products | Pure Photography

And as for the D4 sensor, it's known to be one of the best on the planet, though I admit I'm slightly confused as to why it was chosen for this camera.

11-04-2013, 09:40 PM   #17
Veteran Member

The real question is why buy any Nikon FF DSLR over the Sony A7?
11-04-2013, 09:56 PM   #18
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
OVF still counts for a lot, and the A7 is plastic bodied unlike the A7r and D610 (CMIIW.) and if you're already infested in Nikons it is more difficult to jump.

The real question is still why DF over other Nikons.

Wow, I don't know why I get hung up over a brand I don't use, even a "rival" brand, coming up with a camera that I feel disappointing. Guess I just want everybody to come up with good products.
11-04-2013, 10:02 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wahid_satu Quote
OVF still counts for a lot, and the A7 is plastic bodied unlike the A7r and D610 (CMIIW.) and if you're already infested in Nikons it is more difficult to jump.

The real question is still why DF over other Nikons.

Wow, I don't know why I get hung up over a brand I don't use, even a "rival" brand, coming up with a camera that I feel disappointing. Guess I just want everybody to come up with good products.
The A7 is at least partially mag alloy, but the whole thing feels like it is. As for the EVF—I used to be a hater, but the recent crop from the RX1/A99/A7 (as well as the E-P5 and E-M1) have really turned my opinion around. In another generation there will be no real advantage to an OVF, and it's already quite close. The EVF already gives you all kinds of things an OVF can't, like focus peaking, live picture effects (especially helpful when composing in B&W), and live histograms. It also provides a usable image in extremely dim scenes where an OVF just shows you blackness.

11-04-2013, 10:05 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Some whys:

1. Why's the Nikon logo not printed directly on the chassis like pentaxes? It looks like printed on a different plate, even plastic.
2. Why's there leathery insert on the pentaprism plate?
3. Why No video? (not confirmed yet)
4. Why 2700 bucks?
5. Why buy this over the D610, D800?

I hope they have good answers for those questions.
1: You're right, it's printed on a different plate, but I think it's metal. I don't know why, but surely the engineers has a reason behind it.
2: Well, the concept of the camera is based from the old Nikon FM2, which it's exactly has a leather insert.
3: "Pure Photography" means it's purely for stills. The concept of this camera is for stills people and maybe for the purists.
4: The price is just a first release price. Every new camera released in the market by any company has a high price. If I remember, when the Nikon D700 was first released, the price was similar to that. Just give it a time and the price will go down for sure. And besides from first release price, by the looks of it, the camera is a solidly made one with a great sensor (one that D4 uses).
5: This camera is not for all. This is well suited for purists, retro/classic lovers, folks who loves analog controls, folks who loves using analog film cameras who may want to switch to digital but still enjoy the classic feel, and folks who loves no more than stills...

11-04-2013, 10:12 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
One basic answer to that is the Nikon Df is a true Single Lens Reflex camera, thus using optical view finder and still has the benefit of enjoying using old Nikkor glasses without using any adapters. The Sony A7 is a mirror-less camera, and everything is digital. Both cameras are great, but both of them is not a camera for all.
11-04-2013, 11:09 PM   #22

Smaller...OK but still not that light at 750g.

Not sold.
at least this full frame is lighter K-3 (800g)

11-04-2013, 11:38 PM   #23

Re: "Pure Photography"

It's the marketing slogan Nikon's been using with the teasers for this camera: Nikon | Imaging Products | Pure Photography

And as for the D4 sensor, it's known to be one of the best on the planet, though I admit I'm slightly confused as to why it was chosen for this camera.
It's a proven sensor and since it's at a lower MP count, possibly kinder on older Nikkor lenses that the Df is able to utilise?
11-04-2013, 11:55 PM   #24
Forum Member

LOL, it's being grilled up by commenters at DPR. Even the reviewer said it is silly. The best one is this comment:

"By Zvonimir Tosic (2 hours ago)

So I presume that in the DPR final score it will have negative points for not having a dedicated video button, as is usual DPR's punishment to DSLR designs?"

Really made my day.
11-05-2013, 12:04 AM   #25
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sunnycamera Quote
at least this full frame is lighter K-3 (800g)
Indeed it is puzzling at first how it can be lighter than the K-3 given its bigger VF and extra control dials. But then when I look at this picture again:

Isn't it strange the angle which this picture is taken? Now, notice that the middle part of the frame is black colored. The top, bottom plate and the mount has silvery metal look, but the middle portion actually look plastic. Or is it black colored metal?
11-05-2013, 12:12 AM   #26
Veteran Member

You can use every single Nikon lens created since 1959 and it will just work.

Would be the equivalent of Pentax finally releasing a DSLR with an aperture control lever (uncrippled mount).
11-05-2013, 12:32 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ohh yes, let us all buy A7's and call it a fluffy day.

Last edited by Digitalis; 11-05-2013 at 06:03 PM.
11-05-2013, 01:56 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Omg look that historical style manual remote control cable in page one
11-05-2013, 04:06 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Publishers clearing house is offering a chance for $7K a week for life. Should I win I would buy one of these. And a K3. And quit my job so I could use both.
11-05-2013, 05:12 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Vylen Quote
You can use every single Nikon lens created since 1959 and it will just work.
You can do that with the A7 and an adapter, too.