Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-05-2013, 06:22 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
You can do that with the A7 and an adapter, too.
but will the A7 provide auto diaphragm and open aperture metering?

11-05-2013, 07:52 AM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

11-05-2013, 09:01 PM - 2 Likes   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by twilight_samurai Quote
It's a proven sensor and since it's at a lower MP count, possibly kinder on older Nikkor lenses that the Df is able to utilise?

The D4 16mp sensor was the right choice for a number of reasons. First, for low light, high ISO shooting, it is probably the best sensor on the planet; second, it provides more resolution than is necessary for the overwhelming majority of users. (Have you ever seen the files that the D4 produces?) Unless you are making *very large* prints, the resolution of the D800 (or Sony A7r) is simply unnecessary; third, it doesn't burden the user with unnecessarily large files. I think that many people who bought D800s were shocked at how files from their 36mp cameras slowed down post processing (not to mention how quickly memory cards filled up). Finally, a 36 mega-pixel sensor requires (as mentioned above) both the best glass and very controlled technique if you are going to take advantage of its resolving power.

The potential purchaser of the Df is an experienced photographer who knows just how foolish the race for higher mega-pixels is. He also understands the ergonomic advantages of controlling basic camera functions with dials rather than menus.

This camera is not for everyone, to be sure. However, Nikon has produced something that, for many photographers, was long overdue. I think that--even at the current price point--the camera is going to be a success.

Last edited by Byrd-2020; 11-05-2013 at 11:03 PM. Reason: adding information
11-05-2013, 11:02 PM   #34
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Byrd-2020 Quote
The D4 16mp sensor was the right choice for a number of reasons. First, for low light, high ISO shooting, it is the best sensor on the planet; second, it provides more resolution than is necessary for the overwhelming majority of users. (Have you ever seen the files that the D4 produces?) Unless you are making *very large* prints, the resolution of the D800 (or Sony A7r) is simply unnecessary; third, it doesn't burden the user with unnecessarily large files. I think that many people who bought D800s were shocked at how files from their 36mp cameras slowed down post processing (not to mention how quickly memory cards filled up).

The potential purchaser of the Df is an experienced photographer who knows just how foolish the race for higher mega-pixels is. He also understands the ergonomic advantages of controlling basic camera functions with dials rather than menus.

This camera is not for everyone, to be sure. However, Nikon has produced something that, for many photographers, was long overdue. I think that--even at the current price point--the camera is going to be a success.
For High ISO shoot, if you view the images 1:1, of cause D4 sensor's output would be cleaner. But if normalize resolution to 8mp like DXO test, D800, D600 and D3x sensor are capable producing of better result.
D800 sensor is basically k-5 sensor but FF. Would you consider a 16 mp APS-c sensor to have too high of the pixel density.

The potential purchasers of this camera are the people fail to see through all the hype, marketing, style over substance. A D600 with less resolution selling $1000 more.

11-05-2013, 11:57 PM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by liam Quote
...The potential purchasers of this camera are the people fail to see through all the hype...
Everyone? Even someone knowledgeable about cameras and buys one anyway. You mean that kind of people?
11-06-2013, 12:17 AM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was looking for a Backup camera for my Nikon D4 - I was considering a D610. but now you can forget it...the DF is exactly what I have been looking for, and the manual controls are just a bonus.
11-06-2013, 12:33 AM   #37
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Everyone? Even someone knowledgeable about cameras and buys one anyway. You mean that kind of people?
someone knowledgeable about cameras should already work out what this camera is. Nikon DF, definitely fake.

either that or they couldnt care less about the $1000 price gap between this thing and the d600.

11-06-2013, 02:51 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by liam Quote
someone knowledgeable about cameras should already work out what this camera is. Nikon DF, definitely fake.

either that or they couldnt care less about the $1000 price gap between this thing and the d600.
Do you bash the Nikon Df simply because of the first release price tag?
Set aside the price tag, what else would you complain against the Df?
11-06-2013, 03:31 AM   #39
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by richard balonglong Quote
Do you bash the Nikon Df simply because of the first release price tag?
Set aside the price tag, what else would you complain against the Df?
I said this thing is a D600 in a retro shell. It is as good/bad as the D600.
200 bucks extra for some dials, "retro" style seems to be fair. 1000 more is a rip off.
But again people want to buy this, fine. I am sure the profit they make go to their marketing...
11-06-2013, 11:36 PM   #40

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I was looking for a Backup camera for my Nikon D4
And how does this Df fill that role better than a D610, manual knobs aside?
11-07-2013, 12:44 AM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by prime.partisan Quote
And how does this Df fill that role better than a D610, manual knobs aside?
It is smaller than the D610 and it works better with my Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 AI-S lens.