Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
11-05-2013, 06:09 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
Okay, I gave up trying to hate this camera and placed my order (expected arrival early December).

I ordered the body, the grip, the quick battery charger, and the remote.

Considering the 55mm f1.8, but holding off for now. Don't think I'll order the 35mm - it's not my favourite focal length and f2.8 isn't awe inspiring.

Anyone else ordered and what did they get?
I just perused the Imaging Resources comparison images and I was completely blown away by the IQ of this camera. Which incidentally sits between the D800E and 645D in terms of pixel detail.

That being said, I don't think I'm going to jump on the first generation mirrorless camera just yet given that there is likely ample room for product improvements as the technology continues to mature. Though I must add, that from what I can see, things are looking very very good for the mirorless FF market.

11-21-2013, 04:04 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Apparently stocks have just arrived, and Sony will be shipping out preorders shortly.

Mine still hasn't shipped because some of the accessories I included in my order are not in yet :-(
11-21-2013, 04:08 PM   #18
Veteran Member

My friend switched his preorder to the A7, but at least I'll be able to get my hands on one of these cameras.
11-21-2013, 09:26 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Surprise surprise - the courier just dropped a box with the A7r, quick battery charger and remote control.

Still waiting on the grip, the case, the SEL35F28Z lens, and the LCD protector.

11-21-2013, 09:29 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Surprise surprise - the courier just dropped a box with the A7r, quick battery charger and remote control.

Still waiting on the grip, the case, the SEL35F28Z lens, and the LCD protector.
Great, can't wait to see some images. Get to work .
11-21-2013, 09:42 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
Great, can't wait to see some images. Get to work .
LOL - I was just wondering whether I have sufficient control to wait until the other stuff have arrived, but I suspect I do not.

I am also thinking of buying the Voigtlander close focusing adapter, even though I have the Hawk adapter already. It's quite expensive, and due to arrive sometime in December.
11-22-2013, 12:04 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
First impressions - significantly heavier than my NEX6, but very solid feel. Somehow, it's almost retro looking but the design is not retro.

The menu is confusing - a lot of sub pages - I am missing my NEX menus.

I don't like the location of the EVF - too easy to smudge the LCD with my nose. The solution is to use my left eye - which is my better eye anyway.

I haven't found a min shutter speed for Auto ISO yet - I will be disappointed if this is not implemented in the camera.

On the plus side, I really like the shutter sound. Dare I say it sounds sexy? :-) I don't find it annoying at all.

So far, I have tested Summicron 35 and Summicron 50 on the camera. No problems with either, but I detect slight vignetting on the Summicron 35 on the EVF.

11-22-2013, 01:47 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Bad news - I have read through the manual now - no min shutter speed in Auto ISO. Some amazing customisation options though - almost every button (except for Menu, Play, Rec) is customisable! Very nice defaults if you are not into customisation.

For MF shooters, C1 by default turns on focus magnification - but the default is only 2 seconds which is too fast for me - I am a slow and hesitant focuser. So I have changed it to no limit.

The front/back dials are not as configurable as on Pentax cameras. Pity.

AF is very quick - on APS-C E mount lenses. Will be interesting to see what AF performance is like on FE lenses.

Looking forward to trying the camera out on the weekend.
11-22-2013, 09:50 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Bad news - I have read through the manual now - no min shutter speed in Auto ISO. Some amazing customisation options though - almost every button (except for Menu, Play, Rec) is customisable! Very nice defaults if you are not into customisation.

For MF shooters, C1 by default turns on focus magnification - but the default is only 2 seconds which is too fast for me - I am a slow and hesitant focuser. So I have changed it to no limit.

The front/back dials are not as configurable as on Pentax cameras. Pity.

AF is very quick - on APS-C E mount lenses. Will be interesting to see what AF performance is like on FE lenses.

Looking forward to trying the camera out on the weekend.
Thanks for the report. I hope the A7 is as customizable. I'll make note of the focus speed, accuracy and tracking when my friend's A7 arrives.
11-22-2013, 10:01 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Anyone know if Sigma is likely to make the 35mm f/1.4 Art lens available in E-mount?

Would make a great combo with the A7/r.
11-22-2013, 12:25 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parry Quote
Anyone know if Sigma is likely to make the 35mm f/1.4 Art lens available in E-mount?

Would make a great combo with the A7/r.
I doubt it, but you can always use the LAEA3(no AF) or 4(with translucent mirror) adapter.
11-22-2013, 02:16 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Some unboxing pics.

This is what the courier delivered:

The new quick battery charger:

Redeem code for the adapter of one's choice - which one should I pick? I am leaning towards either the Sony A-mount or Canon EF mount adapters ...

Inside the box - camera and strap:

The camera in all its glory:

Last edited by Christine Tham; 11-22-2013 at 02:46 PM.
11-22-2013, 02:20 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Some unboxing pics.

This is what the courier delivered:

The new quick battery charger:

Redeem code for the adapter of one's choice - which one should I pick? I am leaning towards either the Sony A-mount or Canon EF mount adapters ...

Inside the box - camera and strap:

The camera in all its glory:
What? Does that mean you can get a free LAEA4?
11-22-2013, 02:22 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The α7r with Summicron lenses.

Leitz Summicron 1:2/35

The smallest Summicron in my collection - Leitz Wetzlar Summicron-C 1:2/40:

Leica Summicron-M 1:2/50 - probably my favourite lens:

My biggest M-mount lens - Leitz Canada Summicron 1:2/90:
11-22-2013, 02:28 PM - 1 Like   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The other Leica lenses in my collection.

Leitz Wetzlar Summilux 1.4/50

Leitz Wetzlar Summaron 1.28/35

Leitz Wetzlar Elmarit 1:2.8/90

Leitz Wetzlar Elmar 1:4/135