Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-04-2013, 02:20 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wombat2go Quote
I would appreciate any info on the adaptors to the K mount for K, -M , & -A lenses.
Also any info on the charger that comes in the box, is it multi national?
Thanks
Not sure about mount adapters - I bought a few from ebay - they seem pretty good - the cheap ones are plastic though.

I think it's USB charging, so the camera comes with a USB charger and cable. I prefer to charge the battery out of the camera using a separate battery charger. You can also buy a separate A/C adaptor to allow the camera to be operated from mains.

12-04-2013, 03:18 AM   #47
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wombat2go Quote
I would appreciate any info on the adaptors to the K mount for K, -M , & -A lenses.
Also any info on the charger that comes in the box, is it multi national?
Thanks
Novoflex are supposed to be one of the best adapters. For PK the adapter includes an aperture control ring so you can change aperture on the new lenses which don't have manual aperture control.

Use their adapter finder tool here . . .

Novoflex - Adapter Finder
12-05-2013, 03:39 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
My friend's A7 arrived. You can definitely feel the plastic, but it's a great little camera.
12-06-2013, 04:36 AM   #49
Veteran Member

Bought A7. Now selling it, because for me it is a piece of crap.
It can take nice photos, sure, but I very dislike the way it can take it.
I hate fixed EVF. I too used to tiltable. And I always use it angled between 45°-90° on 5n.
I hate when I can't choose magnification zone by tapping it with my finger. And I'm using back LCD more and more.
So, taking a photo with A7 turned to be much slower compared to 5n.
Plus, the body is too large and it prevents from rotating focus ring (I used to Leica's focus ring lever on wider lenses).
It's wheels just don't feel good, they are unergonomic.
Buttons are too tiny and sometimes placed in bad places, especially C2.
For me it is just a bad camera. Personally, I found it to be rather a small unergonomic DSLR with EVF and slow AF than a mirrorless.
So, my experience was disgusting and I will wait for something better. Hopefully, not from Sony, I lost any credibility to them, because even Lux 50 ASPH doesn't work well. And I like GX7, so I hope for something like GX7 with organic FF sensor.

12-06-2013, 11:11 AM   #50
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Emacs Quote
Bought A7. Now selling it, because for me it is a piece of crap.
Go on, tell us what you really think, please don't hold back

Seriously though, I agree with some of your points. I miss the touchscreen on the 5n, and I also miss the tiltable EVF, although I don't use it as much - clearly not as often as you seem to.

I also agree the front and back "wheels" don't feel nice - I am hoping they will loosen up with use but they just don't feel as intuitive or as smooth as on Pentax cameras.

However, I have no issues using the rotating focus ring on any of my lenses. Nor do I have any issues with any of the buttons - C2 is a bit hard to reach but I only use it to magnify photos in image playback mode so it's not a big deal.

I'm surprised you found AF to be slow. My experience is that AF is really fast on the SEL35F28Z.

Glad that you liked the GX7 - makes me keen to try out that camera.
12-06-2013, 03:16 PM   #51
Veteran Member

Well, I like the A7. It's my friend's camera so I haven't played with customization, but I enjoy the 3 dials. The Fn button is perfectly placed. I can change just about anything without having to remove my eye from the finder. The touchscreen is missed, but I didn't have it on my 6 either. The rumor is Fuji will be next out with the full frame mirrorless, maybe you'll like their offering. I hate that I have to press the c2 button before i can zoom in and out on the review, but I expect that can be changed. I used it with my Contax G today, with my metabones adapter. I think they are a perfect match. I will probably wait until the next iteration. I am hoping for something that handles wide RF glass better.
12-18-2013, 05:37 PM   #52

Has anyone bought the A7 with the kit zoom? I'm pretty much sold on moving to the A7 but am wondering whether to get the kit zoom or not. You can see my current gear in my sig. At this stage I'm planning on selling the K-30 and the zooms.

From my current lens collection I'll have the FA43 and a couple of 28's in K mount, then I've got a few Alpa lenses (35, 50 and 135) that I already have an adapter to E mount for. These would be enough to keep me happy I think except that I do want something to make a WR kit and it would be good to have something with AF. So either the kit zoom now, or I'd have to save up a bit more and get the Zeiss 35mm. Or I guess wait longer and save more to get the Zeiss zoom when it comes out.

12-18-2013, 11:57 PM   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by camerons Quote
Has anyone bought the A7 with the kit zoom? I'm pretty much sold on moving to the A7 but am wondering whether to get the kit zoom or not. You can see my current gear in my sig. At this stage I'm planning on selling the K-30 and the zooms.

From my current lens collection I'll have the FA43 and a couple of 28's in K mount, then I've got a few Alpa lenses (35, 50 and 135) that I already have an adapter to E mount for. These would be enough to keep me happy I think except that I do want something to make a WR kit and it would be good to have something with AF. So either the kit zoom now, or I'd have to save up a bit more and get the Zeiss 35mm. Or I guess wait longer and save more to get the Zeiss zoom when it comes out.
I've played with the kit zoom. It's not very impressive, but I suppose it's not a terrible deal. The 35/2.8 is quite the little gem. Sharp, with a great rendering and It weighs next to nothing.
12-19-2013, 12:04 PM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
I've played with the kit zoom. It's not very impressive, but I suppose it's not a terrible deal. The 35/2.8 is quite the little gem. Sharp, with a great rendering and It weighs next to nothing.
Brent, I actually find the lens quite good as a kit lens to use. It is very lightweight and though it does not look cosmetically appealing, it is quite small and with OSS, the slower apertures is offset with the auto-iso 6400 in A7. Center sharpness is reported quite good from viking79 in dpreview. I trust his reviews and suggestions quite a bit. When I played with it, the manual focus ring and focus throw are very good in this lens. I love the MF ring in this kit lens, one can use DMF very nicely.

Sony FE 28-70mm f/3.5-5.6 OSS SEL2870 on 3N : ERPhotoReview

And there are bunch of users using it on NEX camera. Imagine an outing with 16mm + wide-angle converter + this kit from 28-70. The two lens combo is larger than the 18-55 kit but reaching to 70mm in aps-c brings more versatility in the mix. With the lack of FE lenses, I have no hesitation to recommend it. For $300 combined price in US, it is a no brainer for me as the resale should be easy if it happens that you don't like it.
12-19-2013, 07:29 PM   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
Brent, I actually find the lens quite good as a kit lens to use. It is very lightweight and though it does not look cosmetically appealing, it is quite small and with OSS, the slower apertures is offset with the auto-iso 6400 in A7. Center sharpness is reported quite good from viking79 in dpreview. I trust his reviews and suggestions quite a bit. When I played with it, the manual focus ring and focus throw are very good in this lens. I love the MF ring in this kit lens, one can use DMF very nicely.

Sony FE 28-70mm f/3.5-5.6 OSS SEL2870 on 3N : ERPhotoReview

And there are bunch of users using it on NEX camera. Imagine an outing with 16mm + wide-angle converter + this kit from 28-70. The two lens combo is larger than the 18-55 kit but reaching to 70mm in aps-c brings more versatility in the mix. With the lack of FE lenses, I have no hesitation to recommend it. For $300 combined price in US, it is a no brainer for me as the resale should be easy if it happens that you don't like it.
I just think it's a pretty average and unremarkable offering(my sel 18-55 was decent too), but I did say it's not a bad deal, at $300. However, with lenses like the Tamron 28-75/2.8 around(Or the Nikon 24-85 VR), this lens seems like a dog to me. This lens should have been 3.5-4.5. The A7 and A7r are lovely cameras, but the lenses are no value, in my opinion. I just can't afford this camera, other than for legacy glass. The 35/2.8 is awesome, but expensive. I hope Sigma comes to the rescue. As you indicated previously, many of their lenses already work for FF, with minor modification. I hope that they can quickly turn out some FF versions of those and make the system affordable.
01-14-2014, 08:52 PM   #56
Veteran Member

Original Poster
New toy - very different construction to the 35mm - bulkier, heavier, more solid feel and comes with bag and lens hood

01-15-2014, 12:50 PM   #57
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
New toy - very different construction to the 35mm - bulkier, heavier, more solid feel and comes with bag and lens hood

Congrats, I had the good fortune of playing with my friend's 55/1.8 and his 35/2.8. I am jealous, to say the least.
01-16-2014, 09:36 PM   #58
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Looks like I was captured in someone's video during a recent photowalk. I can be seen from about 6:39 onwards explaining Eye AF on the A7r and SEL55F18Z:
01-26-2014, 02:36 PM   #59
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Testing a new toy - the Voigtländer close focusing M to E adapter - just arrived in countrhy.

This version of the adapter is missing the dark ring around the mount (on the original Voigtländer M to E adapter) that some have speculated is responsible for causing vignetting and smearing at corners.

I torture tested it with the Carl Zeiss Biogon 25 f2.8.

I think this image proves that it is possible to capture an image that is sharp corner to corner with very little sign of colour casting:
01-26-2014, 05:28 PM   #60
Banned

Cool Sony A7r video :