Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
11-01-2013, 11:59 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The A7r preorder thread

Okay, I gave up trying to hate this camera and placed my order (expected arrival early December).

I ordered the body, the grip, the quick battery charger, and the remote.

Considering the 55mm f1.8, but holding off for now. Don't think I'll order the 35mm - it's not my favourite focal length and f2.8 isn't awe inspiring.

Anyone else ordered and what did they get?

11-01-2013, 01:01 PM   #2
Forum Member

I'm on the fence, I am definitely interested in the A7R(not the A7) but I can't get excited about these overpriced slow lenses. It seems like Sony is just using sales of these lenses to cover the price of production for the body. I'm guessing if they came out with typical prime lenses like 50/1.4 and 35/2 at a reasonable price they wouldn't make any money from the combo, though maybe these will come later. I really like the design of the A7R and the RX1 too, carrying around a bulky dslr in public is not so appealing to me. I might buy one for that reason alone.

I'm curious to see what they are doing with the A-mount though, if they put the 36 MP sensor in one of their A-bodies I think I might be more excited, a better lens lineup with some third party support and IBIS. I would just buy a sigma trio(35 50 85) and have a stabilized full-frame setup.

Or I might get the D800/E, I'm not in love with Nikon but they have great autofocus and a strong lens lineup, I already own some Nikon lenses.

Or, if Pentax came out with a IBIS full-frame camera with 36MP I would have to consider that, for the same reasons that I consider the Sony a-mount. I don't think they will come out with a full-frame soon or maybe even ever, so I'm not waiting for this.

When you don't hold an allegiance to a specific brand it's difficult to choose, the A7R seems like an incredible value for the body, but very poor value for the lenses.
11-01-2013, 01:28 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by azimuthal Quote

When you don't hold an allegiance to a specific brand it's difficult to choose, the A7R seems like an incredible value for the body, but very poor value for the lenses.
I am used to buying Leica and Zeiss M mount lenses - so to me these Zeiss lenses are very reasonably priced.

For example, the Carl Zeiss 55mm f1.8 is priced somewhere between the Zeiss 50mm Sonnar f1.5 and Planar f2, which makes complete sense to me.

And Zeiss has announced (on Facebook) they are planning to re-release their M mount range for the E mount. Probably still manual focus though. That's okay because I prefer MF to AF.

Since the Zeiss M mount lenses are actually made by CV, it means we may also get Voigtlander E mount lenses (I have a Voigtlander M to E adapter).

It's still early to tell how successful these cameras will be. If they sell anything like the excitement they have generated, we will see lots of lenses.
11-01-2013, 01:34 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
There was a recent test with the Contax G 28/2.8 that showed bad color cast and smearing on the A7R. Have you read any tests on the M-mount glass? I suppose you can always return it if it doesn't work out. That would be a shame though.

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/phillip-reeve-a7r-and-manual-lens-test-conclu...d-and-samyang/

flickr album
http://www.flickr.com/photos/96189377@N08/sets/72157637023697534/

Last edited by kenafein; 11-01-2013 at 01:45 PM.
11-01-2013, 01:48 PM   #5

I went from a K200d, -> K01 -> fuji X-E1 -> K5. Having gone from dslr to mirror back to dslr i can say this. Its mildly embarrassing having a full body DSLR with vertical grip and big lens in public, with that said I didnt find the mirrorless system any better in public and to carry. It was so small that i didnt enjoy using it, but it was still too big for a pocket so i still had to carry a separate bag. If i am going to carry a camera for the intent of photography ill take the full size dslr. If i am traveling and want to snap a quick pic of something id rather use my smartphone (nokia 1020 or better) for that 95% of the time you see something cool but didnt plan on lugging a camera around with you.

with that said, im still very interested in an A7 -- curious if it will breath new life into some legacy primes.
11-01-2013, 01:48 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
There was a recent test with the Contax G 28/2.8 that showed bad color cast on the A7R. Have you read any tests on the M-mount glass?
I was going to wait for some real world results, but decided to take the plunge anyway. I don't normally shoot wides, but I am interested to see how my Voigtlander 15mm and 21mm, as well as my Zeiss Biogon 25mm will fare on it.
11-01-2013, 02:44 PM   #7
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
I am used to buying Leica and Zeiss M mount lenses - so to me these Zeiss lenses are very reasonably priced.
And you're certainly not alone there, but one of the more compelling things about the A7/R is the price. If we were talking about the M240, then lens prices wouldn't be a talking point. No doubt this camera will have quite a following with the manual focus adapter crowd.

If the lenses were somehow interesting, I would understand their high price, but if this is some indication of what lenses must cost for this type of design, it's not positive...

If Voigtlander starts producing for this mount I would like to pick up the 35 1.2 -- it is a unique lens that would be really fun to use on a very good full-frame sensor. The 35 2.8 is not unique, a 55 1.8 is not unique either. These are not particularly interesting lenses whether they are m4/3 APS-C or full-frame.

Would it really have been that difficult to make a 50/1.4 and a 35/2

Time to take advantage of my sweet new full-frame camera with a 35/2.8!!

11-01-2013, 03:10 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Price isn't really an issue for me. I would happily pay for a Leica M, but it's not the camera I want.

As it so happens, I am getting my A7r (actually Sony officially calls it the Alpha ILCE7r) at a very good price - I won't disclose it but there are certain advantages to being an "official" accredited Sony fangrrl. I am buying it directly from Sony, and they made me an offer I simply could not refuse. I would have bought it at twice the price, but I would have waited till next year. Sony obviously wants me to use one immediately, and willing to make it worth my while. Not complaining!

The 55mm f1.8 is pretty interesting to me. Reminds me of the Takumar 55mm f1.8 - which was one of the best lenses in the "normal" focal length I have ever used.

I have the 35mm f1.2 - it's not as interesting as you think, but can produce some interesting images. It's kind of soft at f1.2, which means it's actually a f1.4 or f2 lens, and a rather heavy one at that.

My conclusion after owning various M mount lenses is that it is best to stick with Summicron. They consistently deliver the best "wow" in terms of images, and very usable wide open. Everything else is one compromise after another. The Voigtlanders are good "budget" lenses, but you get what you pay for - they are best used slightly stopped, and are very heavy.

I am very close to owning the entire Summicron range of lenses - missing two. Nearly grabbed the 28mm the other day, but someone beat me to it. Grrr!

Last edited by Christine Tham; 11-01-2013 at 03:17 PM.
11-01-2013, 05:37 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I like everything about it, but I'm going to wait for Sony to get a few lenses out ant see how responsive Sony is to firmware fixes.
11-03-2013, 11:08 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
OK, I decided to order the SEL 35mm f2.8 as well, even though I said I didn't like it. I need at least one native lens I can play around with on day one, and I do not like zooms.
11-04-2013, 08:47 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by buttons Quote
I went from a K200d, -> K01 -> fuji X-E1 -> K5. Having gone from dslr to mirror back to dslr i can say this. Its mildly embarrassing having a full body DSLR with vertical grip and big lens in public, with that said I didnt find the mirrorless system any better in public and to carry. It was so small that i didnt enjoy using it, but it was still too big for a pocket so i still had to carry a separate bag. If i am going to carry a camera for the intent of photography ill take the full size dslr. If i am traveling and want to snap a quick pic of something id rather use my smartphone (nokia 1020 or better) for that 95% of the time you see something cool but didnt plan on lugging a camera around with you.

Funny I was waiting all of this time for the A7 to come out that I'm now thinking of jumping on a used RX1 instead just for size.
11-04-2013, 02:35 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Any opinion on the kit zoom that comes only with A7? I see somewhere that the kit zoom in 28-70mm can't be bought alone, Steve Huff doesn't recommend the kit zoom but as bad as it may turn out to be, I actually love the kit zoom in NEX and this kit zoom is in all back color that seems like a good match for A7. Any link to how well the zoom work can be appreciated.

And Christine, do you plan on LA-EA3/4 adapter if if you pick one, which one makes more sense, please share your thoughts on the kit zoom and the two LA-EA3/4 adapters as well as the Leica-M adapters that you recommend.

Cheers,
Hin
11-05-2013, 09:16 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I might do the 7 and a 35 that said since getting the NEX 6 i've probably only used that once
11-05-2013, 12:29 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clicker Quote
I might do the 7 and a 35 that said since getting the NEX 6 i've probably only used that once
I can't say that my D600 produces dramatically better images than my NEX 6, and the Contax G lenses that I wanted the A7R for don't work well. Lenses for the D600 are so much cheaper, I guess I'm happy with having one full frame DSLR and one APS-C MILC. Are you still happy with your X camera?
11-05-2013, 06:00 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
I can't say that my D600 produces dramatically better images than my NEX 6, and the Contax G lenses that I wanted the A7R for don't work well. Lenses for the D600 are so much cheaper, I guess I'm happy with having one full frame DSLR and one APS-C MILC. Are you still happy with your X camera?
yes i am still very happy with my gear BUT i really need to get out and use them...i have G.A.S like anyone else in here but i'll be the first to admit i am neither brand nor format biased...i just like to shoot with whatever is in my hands at that moment; i don't particularly favour any technical aspect of the activity...i just see it and shoot it hence my pseudonym "Clicker"

*yes i will shoot on Auto any time also.