Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 27 Likes Search this Thread
02-23-2014, 05:16 PM   #91
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Sample #3 taken yesterday for the sensor reflection problem.
This time its with a Voigtlander 12/5.6, so its certainly not isolated to lenses.

However, its fixable in post with about 5 mins of cloning.
Doable, but certainly an irritation and dependant on being able to find similar textured/lighting/items to clone into.

02-24-2014, 07:38 PM   #92
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote

Good to hear about the 5D Mk III and its quiet shutter. I wonder if that is a benefit to video work. I believe i read that the D600 camera wasn't much quieter in its quiet mode than the non-quiet mode. If its important to one's work, quiet shutters should be checked out personally or thoroughly researched.
My friend thinks the 5D3's shutter, in quiet mode, is essential to his birding. He likes to brag how close he can get to humming birds, and the pictures don't lie. The shutter is much quieter than the 1DX.
05-04-2014, 05:15 PM   #93
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi, are there any advantage on using Novaflex or Voigthlander adapter over the Fotodiox? Do they all focus to infinity?
I just ordered a A7 and want to try my Pentax Lenses on it.

Thanks
05-04-2014, 11:25 PM   #94
osv
Veteran Member

they should all focus beyond infinity.

you might want to get a tripod mount adapter for the heavy lenses.

05-06-2014, 04:38 AM   #95
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by dltorre Quote
Hi, are there any advantage on using Novaflex or Voigthlander adapter over the Fotodiox? Do they all focus to infinity?
I just ordered a A7 and want to try my Pentax Lenses on it.

Thanks
I use the Fotodiox Pentax- E mount adapter on my full frame VG900 without any problems and it does focus to infinity.

---------- Post added 05-06-14 at 07:53 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
Sample #3 taken yesterday for the sensor reflection problem.
This time its with a Voigtlander 12/5.6, so its certainly not isolated to lenses.

However, its fixable in post with about 5 mins of cloning.
Doable, but certainly an irritation and dependant on being able to find similar textured/lighting/items to clone into.

Ultra-wide M mount lenses don't work as well as ultra-wide DSLR lenses on the full frame E mount mirrorless cameras and I bet the 12-24mm Sigma would not have the same issues.
Sigma 12-24mm f/4.5-5.6 EX DG ASP HSM II Wide-Angle Zoom 204205
05-06-2014, 08:49 AM - 3 Likes   #96

Hello Gents, First post here. Ever since I bought my A7R and then the A6000 Sonys I have not touched my DSLRs. I am very interested in adopting a new eco system with a more mature Lens selection. Currently Fuji and Pentax are both under consideration. Anyway here is a recent shot and a 100 percent crop with the Sony A6000 and Zeiss MF glass. Just my way of saying hello.

05-06-2014, 04:53 PM   #97
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lens Pirate Quote
Hello Gents, First post here. Ever since I bought my A7R and then the A6000 Sonys I have not touched my DSLRs. I am very interested in adopting a new eco system with a more mature Lens selection. Currently Fuji and Pentax are both under consideration. Anyway here is a recent shot and a 100 percent crop with the Sony A6000 and Zeiss MF glass. Just my way of saying hello.

Adopting a new ecosystem? Would you drop the Sony line or would you keep this in addition? The PDAF adapter would open you up to a the alpha glass and a lot of the old Minolta stuff. Nice image, keep posting.

05-08-2014, 07:37 AM - 1 Like   #98
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
Ultra-wide M mount lenses don't work as well as ultra-wide DSLR lenses on the full frame E mount mirrorless cameras and I bet the 12-24mm Sigma would not have the same issues.
Sigma 12-24mm f/4.5-5.6 EX DG ASP HSM II Wide-Angle Zoom 204205
Its well documented that it happens even with the native FE35.

Here's one with the FD20/2.8 (a SLR lens)

Did you bet with any money on the table.
05-08-2014, 08:20 AM   #99
Veteran Member

That is unfortunate. It does look much more controlled with the FD lens, and almost desirable, but I wouldn't be happy with that. It happens with the 24-70 too, it seems. Supposedly it does not affect the A7R. I guess the R is the way to go, or wait until the next release of the A7.
05-08-2014, 09:26 AM   #100
Banned

I will have to test my SMC Pentax-M 20mm F4 with my full frame VG900 camcorder at night to see if it shows that.
05-09-2014, 02:26 AM   #101
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
That is unfortunate. It does look much more controlled with the FD lens, and almost desirable, but I wouldn't be happy with that. It happens with the 24-70 too, it seems. Supposedly it does not affect the A7R. I guess the R is the way to go, or wait until the next release of the A7.
QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
I will have to test my SMC Pentax-M 20mm F4 with my full frame VG900 camcorder at night to see if it shows that.
To be fair, I am putting all this behind me.
Its not a nice problem to have, but to me, its liveable and for most of my other uses, its a fine enough camera.
Personal conclusions :

1. It does suck
2. It mainly happens with cityscape type light sources and is not noticeable for far/small light sources.
3. Most of the time, it can be cloned off, but it does mean more work and if there is nothing to use to clone, then its a problem.
4. CV12 is the smallest, widest UWA that is out there and it performs as well on the A7 as does any 12mm on a FF.
5. A7R basically writes off lots of small RF lenses from 35mm down and many legacy lenses too (not worth the trouble and less the fun w/o access to these lenses)

I'd be interested to see how that M20/4 matches up against the other 20mm options out there.
The FD20/2.8 is pretty good.
On the A7, its as sharp on the sides as the K24/2.8 is sides (so its a 20mm against a 24mm)
K24 does have better micro-contrast though.

Last edited by pinholecam; 05-09-2014 at 02:56 AM.
05-09-2014, 01:12 PM   #102
Veteran Member

5. A7R basically writes off lots of small RF lenses from 35mm down and many legacy lenses too (not worth the trouble and less the fun w/o access to these lenses)
Most of those RF lenses don't interest me, but that is certainly a good point. There are trade offs between the two versions of the camera. I would mostly shoot it with DSLR lenses, however. The 15mm looks usable with Cornerfix; and there seems to be a few other wide angle RF lenses that play well with the A7R, granted they are mostly expensive Leica lenses.

I have played with my friend's A7 quite a bit, and I do love the camera. You are right, it's kind of a niche problem. Has there been no official acknowledgement from Sony?
05-11-2014, 07:35 AM   #103
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
Most of those RF lenses don't interest me, but that is certainly a good point. There are trade offs between the two versions of the camera. I would mostly shoot it with DSLR lenses, however. The 15mm looks usable with Cornerfix; and there seems to be a few other wide angle RF lenses that play well with the A7R, granted they are mostly expensive Leica lenses.

I have played with my friend's A7 quite a bit, and I do love the camera. You are right, it's kind of a niche problem. Has there been no official acknowledgement from Sony?

There are a few RF lenses which imo is 'worth it'.
The Voigtlander 12mm, as small as a DA15, but 12mm FF and not much issues on the A7 (different story on the A7r)
Voigtlander 35/1.4, again a super small lens that gives f1.4 though it does have its problems on the A7/r (not too good edges)
Sonnar lens designs in the 50mm focal lengths (uncommon on SLR lenses)

The Voigtlander 15mm Heliar is problematic on the A7/r (smeared corners and colour cast) .
I've tried a friend's copy as well as looked at many samples on the web.

AFAIK, Sony's answer to the sensor reflection issue is that 'its also a problem on much more expensive video cameras used for newsrooms'
IIRC, that answer came from Sony HK.
05-11-2014, 09:03 AM   #104
Veteran Member

AFAIK, Sony's answer to the sensor reflection issue is that 'its also a problem on much more expensive video cameras used for newsrooms'
LOL
Typical stupid Sony. Hope to see mirrorless FFs from other companies, esp from Panasonic, whose GX7 is the the way how mirrorless cameras must look nowdays.
05-12-2014, 10:43 AM   #105
osv
Veteran Member

I'd be interested to see how that M20/4 matches up against the other 20mm options out there.
The FD20/2.8 is pretty good.
On the A7, its as sharp on the sides as the K24/2.8 is sides (so its a 20mm against a 24mm)
K24 does have better micro-contrast though.
fred miranda likes the fd20/2.8, which is a good sign:
Canon FDn 20mm f/2.8 and 24mm f/2.8 on A7R - FM Forums

i want one!

the k24 is one of my favorites, but not for full-frame use, it has serious field curvature issues... killer piece of glass for aps-c tho.

going from 24mm to 28mm is a huge step up on the a7r, even the throwaway albinar adg lens has potential when stopped down:

28mm lens comparison on Sony a7R

on the a7r, i don't shoot wider than 28mm unless there is an absolute need for it, and then only with the fd24/2.8, which as you and digitalis pointed out, has weak contrast, even tho it's plenty sharp.

maybe when my ship comes in, i can get one of those fd20/2.8's... i tried the rokinon/bower/ect. 14mm, but sent it back due to serious decentering.