Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-01-2013, 07:16 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What We’re Finding Wrong With the Sony A7 and A7r So Far

I found it an interesting read. Somewhat along the line of be careful of what you wish for. His comments on focus peaking, auto focus - accuracy vs. speed, and items that may need some thought. They might be worth considering if / when Pentax has a full frame.

11-01-2013, 08:20 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Also color cast and smudging on some wide angle rangefinder glass. Even on the A7R, which has micro lenses. I am a bit surprised by the focus peaking. It's pretty good on the aps-c bodies.
11-01-2013, 09:20 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
I am a bit surprised by the focus peaking. It's pretty good on the aps-c bodies.
I've always found the K-01 focus peaking to be more accurate (at least to me) than the NEX - there seems to be some slop with the NEX focus peaking.

On another note, I am surprised by the article saying "However, the cameras that we’ve been dealing with for a while have had APS-C and Micro Four Thirds sensors." in relation to focus peaking.

As far as I know, focus peaking hasn't been available on u4/3 cameras until very recently (on the newest models which are just coming out). Which leads me to doubt whether to trust the article or not.
11-01-2013, 09:26 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
I've always found the K-01 focus peaking to be more accurate (at least to me) than the NEX - there seems to be some slop with the NEX focus peaking.

On another note, I am surprised by the article saying "However, the cameras that we’ve been dealing with for a while have had APS-C and Micro Four Thirds sensors." in relation to focus peaking.

As far as I know, focus peaking hasn't been available on u4/3 cameras until very recently (on the newest models which are just coming out). Which leads me to doubt whether to trust the article or not.
It could very well be more accurate, but I never took to the focus peaking on the Q or the K-01. I like my peaking red. The Ricoh peaking is too subtle for me. It wasn't quite perfect but I had a very acceptable keeper rate, with 1.2 lenses, using the NEX. I suppose thinner DOF can confound it more. There was a bit of a learning curve to it with thicker DOF. where in the range to position the target for optimal focus.

11-02-2013, 01:57 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Anyway its grazy idea tobuy sony FF just to use pentax lenses on FF camera...omg
11-02-2013, 08:32 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Joojoo2010 Quote
Anyway its grazy idea tobuy sony FF just to use pentax lenses on FF camera...omg
No crazier than buying a Pentax FF cam... uh, nevermind.
11-02-2013, 08:37 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

As soon as he typed this sentence: "Sony’s NEX camera system has always been able to boast blazing fast autofocusing speeds." he lost anybody who has ever used a NEX camera.

11-02-2013, 11:05 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bimjo Quote
As soon as he typed this sentence: "Sony’s NEX camera system has always been able to boast blazing fast autofocusing speeds." he lost anybody who has ever used a NEX camera.
Yeah, it's competent with the latest cameras, and improved with the latest firmwares on the older ones, but nobody who has one would call it blazing.
11-02-2013, 02:29 PM   #9
Veteran Member

The thing about the 36mp sensor magnifying blur is one of the dumbest things I've ever read.
11-02-2013, 04:16 PM   #10
Veteran Member

The morons at PetaPixel have also weighed in:
Out on the Road: Getting to Know the Sony a7 and a7R

I love how fauxtographers blame the camera for their MF mistakes.

Hey, if you can't focus properly, look in the mirror for the cause. Focus peaking is a guide, nothing more. :-)
11-03-2013, 08:59 AM - 6 Likes   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
Hey, if you can't focus properly, look in the mirror for the cause.
But there is no mirror
11-03-2013, 12:42 PM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
But there is no mirror
LOL - that's gold!
11-30-2013, 10:50 AM - 7 Likes   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Joojoo2010 Quote
Reasons why Im not crazy
-Sony A7 is the least expensive FF on the market
-the brilliant digital viewfinder paired with magnified focus takes away any overlap that the focus peaking may present on fast lenses
-99% of pentax lenses k and m42, new and used are ff and are built for a ff camera
-When ever I feel nostalgic or have a DA lens I can put my a7 in aps-c mode.
-I can put more than just pentax lenses on it
-When I put my Lenses on my ff pentax camera I have to make sure I load film into it.
- iso-50
- ooh it looks soo good
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
NEX-5N  Photo 
12-07-2013, 03:35 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sliver-Surfer Quote
Reasons why Im not crazy
-Sony A7 is the least expensive FF on the market
-the brilliant digital viewfinder paired with magnified focus takes away any overlap that the focus peaking may present on fast lenses
-99% of pentax lenses k and m42, new and used are ff and are built for a ff camera
-When ever I feel nostalgic or have a DA lens I can put my a7 in aps-c mode.
-I can put more than just pentax lenses on it
-When I put my Lenses on my ff pentax camera I have to make sure I load film into it.
- iso-50
- ooh it looks soo good
Hello,
The Sony A7 is getting my interest. I have a lot of questions:
How do you control the aperture?
Can you use aperture-ring-less Pentax lenses on it?
How to use a Pentax lens with this body?
What kind of adapter that is suitable for this kind of setup?
When using Pentax lenses on it, are the images produced sharp?

Thanks in advance!
12-07-2013, 04:29 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by richard balonglong Quote
Hello,
The Sony A7 is getting my interest. I have a lot of questions:
How do you control the aperture?
Can you use aperture-ring-less Pentax lenses on it?
How to use a Pentax lens with this body?
What kind of adapter that is suitable for this kind of setup?
When using Pentax lenses on it, are the images produced sharp?

Thanks in advance!
Novoflex's PK to E-mount adapter has an aperture control ring so you can use the likes of the 100/2.8 Macro WR and wotnot, you know the new lenses without manual aperture control.

Novoflex - _info

From what I've seen folks are getting good results with the FA Limiteds and A 50mm f/1.2. There's just so many possibilities with this thing, like Contax G and Minolta lenses too. Thanks to Christine and Michele and Silver Surfer for being brave enough to lead the way.