Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-03-2013, 10:03 AM   #1
Forum Member

new Nikon

Well Nikon have done what Pentax should have...

Their latest SLR is classically styled with shutter speed dial etc. It was a wide open goal for someone with real 35mm heritage and Pentax missed the chance... It's the first time I've ever wanted a camera other than a Pentax - just why has it taken 20 years of digital photography for people to realise that the ergonomics evolved over 100 odd years actually had some validity - just look at Fuji cleaning up for a start.

Come on guys it's not too late - a new Spotmatic please;-)

11-03-2013, 02:50 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
it still looks huge! If it isnīt getting any smaller, thereīs no doubt the modern design is much more versatile...
A k-5 without grip, pop up flash, top LCD, one or two fewer buttons, and smaller battery, (less functions to power up) would be nice... But how smaller, lighter would it be?
11-03-2013, 03:50 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The classic 35mm rangefinder inspired design of the Fuji X100 created a sensation when introduced.
Frankly I am surprised that it has taken years for one of the big SLR manufacturers to follow suit.

Chris
11-04-2013, 01:54 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by carrrlangas Quote
it still looks huge! If it isnīt getting any smaller, thereīs no doubt the modern design is much more versatile...
A k-5 without grip, pop up flash, top LCD, one or two fewer buttons, and smaller battery, (less functions to power up) would be nice... But how smaller, lighter would it be?
Don't get me started about size! The one reason these things are so massive is because 'bulk' = professional - there's no need for it. A clockwork MX had to find space for a film cartridge and equally a space for the wound out film. It also had to have all the mechanism for winding that film on and the space for the clockwork shutter and mechanical links. I simply do not believe that it's impossible to get a modern full-frame SLR down to the same size. The pressure plate and film lid holder on the back must take as much space as the whole sensor system alone. A quality camera has to be the size of a Twin-lens reflex to be taken seriously in the market - or does it?

It's time someone did what Olympus did with the OM-1 and turned the world upside down.

As for the modern design being more versatile - well yes, but is it just me that keeps moving dials and buttons inadvertently as I move the camera around in my hands or as I walk along? I spend more time looking at the bloody display in the viewfinder than I do the subject. I want f-stop round the lens throat, shutter dial on the top. Both with 'A' stops so you can get aperture/shutter/program there instantly and it'll stay put. Those are the fundamentals of shooting - just about every other parameter can be fiddled with after the shot is taken so you don't need a mass of buttons and dials and menus. Bury most of it in menus for those that want to play rather than take pictures and just have metering/focus/drive options on little dials as present. It could all be so much cleaner and more sexy.

I know I sound like a luddite, but cameras are becoming increasingly full of features that I don't want and which get in the way of the job in hand.

Last edited by Geoff H; 11-04-2013 at 02:21 AM.
11-05-2013, 01:03 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I'm a little perplexed. The Nikon Df has less functionality than the D610 (and shares the AF system), but is the price of a D800. And it doesn't have a fully metal body, like the D800, either, so I'm not sure if it could stand up to pro use. OK, it has the sensor of the D4, but just how more expensive is that sensor than the one in the D610? I can understand the desire for a camera without all the bells and whistles one has come to expect, (though one doesn't have to use them, and they rarely get in the way) and I think it looks fabulous, but I fail to see how it justifies its price I terms of functionality. It seems that with the Df, less is really more! If Ricoh issues a back-to-basics Pentax, with nice retro styling, I hope they will price it realistically. For Ģ1,500-ish, I would have bought the Nikon, but for Ģ2,500, no way!
11-05-2013, 05:41 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
I'd also like to see them ditch all but a couple of buttons from the back and instead have a fold out and twist display as on my old Samsung EX-1 - much of the time this will be folded back so the back of the camera is metal and not a distraction - then make it touch sensitive and you can have as many pointless bells and whistles via that in a much more user friendly (and modern) form - after all your i-Phone dropped buttons and dials long ago...
11-05-2013, 08:50 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Geoff H Quote
Don't get me started about size!
One thing that surprised me is that it weighs 760grs! vs 740 for the K-5.. Thatīs not bad at all... Although the layout is very bad. Too crowded.

Another thing that amazed me is that the aperture coupling is compatible with any lens ever made by nikon including non Ai lenses... Pentax should support aperture ring control!