Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-04-2013, 06:11 AM   #1

Need a nudgy-nudge (for the Samsung Nx300)

Anyone interested in helping to push me over the cliff for a Samsung nx300? My second camera at the moment is a Canon S100. (Coincidentally my third is the old A610 series cams. Anyone "amember dose?" I would love to see an update of this lovely piece) but I digress...

Since a year I had considered the Fuji x100, GRII and other boutiquey models, but put them off because they didn't grab me.
After reading about the Samsung nx300 reviews from various sources I think I'm ready to bite. I just need a nudgey nudge. Anyone?
Any discussion is appreciated o/

11-04-2013, 08:00 AM   #2
bvg
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I push you for Canon EOS M
11-04-2013, 08:59 AM   #3

Original Poster
C'mon. Surely, you jest.
I have kids and NEED SPEED.
11-04-2013, 09:53 AM   #4
bvg
Veteran Member

Hm, I believe DSLRs are quicker than NX300. And it does not have VF.

11-04-2013, 12:07 PM   #5

Original Poster
Ok, your version of strong points of the eos m?
11-05-2013, 03:29 AM   #6
bvg
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Iksobarg Quote
Ok, your version of strong points of the eos m?
Good IQ and good video. And compact and has official adapter for Canon lenses.
11-05-2013, 04:41 AM   #7

Original Poster
oh well...(realized I'll keep looking,waiting)

This was meant to replace my second camera, a Canon S100.
After some more intensive review and forums reading... I'm gonna keep waiting.
I need quick-start up, -shutter speed performance and great resolution...
I once considered the Olympus XZ-1 but it fell a bit short on IQ.
I'll keep looking. Thanks!

11-05-2013, 05:11 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I love the NX300. One of my favorite cameras I tested this year. It's by no means the fastest camera out there, but it's got great IQ, the best touch interface I've used on a camera, and fantastic ergonomics for a rangefinder-style mirrorless body.

I wrote a review here: Samsung NX300 Digital Camera Review - Reviewed.com Cameras
11-05-2013, 11:43 AM   #9

Samsung has a couple lenses that really tempted me - their 30mm and 16mm pancakes. Quite inexpensive with good quality. Their 20-50mm zoom appears to be great too.
I the end I went with a NEX-5R, mainly for Sony's 16mm + UWA and fish-eye adapters. This is my first experience with ultra wide angle, and I quickly fell in love with it. The Sigma 30mm for NEX is very sharp too.
11-20-2013, 09:52 AM   #10

Original Poster
Thanks for sharing prime and others.
I'm tracking some NX300s atm. I'll keep reading and watching about them til I get the urge to bite or something more attractive comes along.
Not sure I'll ever get a Sony. Well, actually a lot of us use Sony (sensors) heheh
11-24-2013, 05:43 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I bought a Samsung NX1000 a few months back and have just added a NX 30mm F2 pancake to it to create my personal take on a Ricoh GR like camera setup, the 18mm focal length of the GR and also the Nikon A not appealing to me as a do-everything lens.

Very happy so far and I have written a bit of a review and posted a bunch of sample photos onto my photo blog: First Impressions - NX1000 + 30mm Pancake

I don't intend to use the NX1000 for moving subjects - I'll use a dSLR for that. So I can't comment on auto-focus speed for tracking and I'll leave that for others to comment on. And the NX300 is meant to be superior to the NX1000 on that front anyway, so any comments I could make on that topic are probably irrelevant.
11-25-2013, 02:57 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Iksobarg Quote
Thanks for sharing prime and others.
I'm tracking some NX300s atm. I'll keep reading and watching about them til I get the urge to bite or something more attractive comes along.
Not sure I'll ever get a Sony. Well, actually a lot of us use Sony (sensors) heheh
Here's a DXOmark comparison of NX300, Nex 6, Pentax K50 - K50 is only one that is WR :-)

Side by side - DxOMark

I saw the Samsung NX300 for sale somewhere - maybe Costco, but didn't really look at, now i will.

For the Dynamic Range, SNR and tonal comparison, it looks like the NX300 tracks with the Nex 6, but just a tiny amount lower on the charts. The K50 does better than either, particularly at higher iso's, but its less compact and probably about 1/2 lb heavier.

I have the Nex 6, and one of its best features is the electronic VF, built-in. On sunny days, my old Nex 5n was many times a squint procedure. You may have that problem with the Nx, i don't know.

On the other hand, the NX looks like a more packable solution than the K50 for sure, and maybe the Nex 6 depending on what lenses you pick for the 6. Lens selections for the Nex is a bit of mish mash, with some of the better lenses costing a bunch. I have to say for the price of a $20 adapter, i've had tons of fun using some Pentax macro lenses on the Nex 6. So i assume you've had some bad experience with Sony to prefer another make - well that happens :-)

Enjoy the Samsung, it looks like it would be compact and should have dynamic range far ahead of the Canon. Cheap lenses - whats not to like.