Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
11-05-2013, 01:43 AM   #46

Just showed up on my FB feed from BH. Very nice.... Now where's the Pentax dLX version?

11-05-2013, 01:52 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Personally i like more Pentax retro style ( this nikon is ugly no class) all lenses made still fit, buildin flash for fill and SR. Silver K3 is more usable retro than this...even this have FF but after using pentax i do not want camera without SR. Actually i did fall in love IS in Canon Powershot model long time ago after noticed how much IS helps to take sharp shots in low light. DSRL like without SR is terrible idea for me, I would not love this nikon cam same as pentax cams.
11-05-2013, 03:29 AM - 1 Like   #48
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
Here's my hands-on with the Nikon Df: Nikon Df First Impressions Review - Reviewed.com Cameras
Sorry, but this is not a review in my eyes.

When every shortcoming and missing feature (with the exception of the fixed focussing screen) is portrayed in a positive light then we are talking "marketing brochure".
A review should be critical. That does not mean that it has to find faults where there are none. But it has to call a spade a spade.

I'm happy for anyone who is enthusiastic about the camera and it is certainly everyone's right to express their enthusiasm in writing. But I disagree with referring to a glorification as a "review".
11-05-2013, 04:06 AM   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
While the amount of switches and buttons might seem overkill and a step back from a usability perspective, i'm musing that for an experienced photographer, the set it and take the shot approach might actually be more favorable in that it will make you think about the shot and get in the zone. Its an interesting take, I think I like it.

11-05-2013, 04:12 AM   #50
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
The question is who it is aimed at. The immediate assumption here seems to be that it's aimed at the Baby Boom generation (after all, they're to blame for everything bad, aren't they?) but I'm not so sure. Having been around for a while, I suspect I know a nostalgia movement when I see one, and in my experience they're usually arranged to give a new generation a sense of received heritage, rather than help the older members of society relive their pasts. Take a close look at the man in the video "teasers" – that designer stubble isn't aimed at the over-55s. IMO it's squarely aimed at the aspirant 40-year-olds who are contemplating their first Audi or Jaguar, and who want to be seen to be expressing solid, conservative values anchored in appreciation of the finest things of the past. To some of us, that writes the words "pretentious, self-absorbed prat" all over it, and makes us run a mile from it. Nice body, shame about the face.
just like boomers, the hipsters are growing old and becoming caricatures of themselves & revealing just how materialistic they are? that's a new one... but decent aim on Nikon's part.
11-05-2013, 05:13 AM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Sorry, but this is not a review in my eyes.

When every shortcoming and missing feature (with the exception of the fixed focussing screen) is portrayed in a positive light then we are talking "marketing brochure".
A review should be critical. That does not mean that it has to find faults where there are none. But it has to call a spade a spade.

I'm happy for anyone who is enthusiastic about the camera and it is certainly everyone's right to express their enthusiasm in writing. But I disagree with referring to a glorification as a "review".
You're welcome to your opinion.
11-05-2013, 06:39 AM   #52
Pentaxian

You're welcome to your opinion.
Thanks.

Do you know whether the Nikon Df supports "Auto ISO" in M mode?

The reason I'm asking is because I wonder whether it offers the equivalent of "TAv" mode.

I find TAv mode one of the most useful features of my K-5 II for certain applications.

11-05-2013, 07:01 AM   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Thanks.

Do you know whether the Nikon Df supports "Auto ISO" in M mode?

The reason I'm asking is because I wonder whether it offers the equivalent of "TAv" mode.

I find TAv mode one of the most useful features of my K-5 II for certain applications.
To be honest, I didn't have a chance to fully explore the menus (spent most of my time with the camera shooting in Manual), but the spec sheet doesn't show the slightest hint of an Auto ISO mode, period. Since the ISO dial doesn't have an Auto position, I guess that makes sense. :/
11-05-2013, 07:39 AM   #54
Pentaxian

To be honest, I didn't have a chance to fully explore the menus (spent most of my time with the camera shooting in Manual), but the spec sheet doesn't show the slightest hint of an Auto ISO mode, period. Since the ISO dial doesn't have an Auto position, I guess that makes sense. :/
Thanks.

Do you think TAv is a useful mode?
11-05-2013, 07:48 AM   #55
Veteran Member

Can't make up my mind whether this is a Frankencam or the start of something. It does seem a bit of a parts bin special wrapped in an alluring skin but still missing some fairly important things which the skin suggests it might have, like interchangeable focusing screens and a full VF. It's festooned with knobs and switches which isn't at all retro but all rather over the top. On the other hand, on the other hand ... it has a look which cannot be ignored and anything which puts the experience and tactility back into photography is to be welcomed, imho. An interesting one, so kudos to Nikon. I wonder whether this is a one-off or the start of a similar product line.

It's a hard sell rather than a statement, I suppose. If Nikon wanted to make a statement, they could have produced this with the knobs and warts removed but with a kickass monochrome-only sensor and a focus-peaking overlay in the VF. No sale to me, though. The UK price is eyewatering. The same money would buy me a K3 and 18-135mm plus a fully loaded MacBook Pro.

Anyway, I guess the camera prize for combining elegant classic lines with the best of modern tech a la Ferrari is still up for grabs.
11-05-2013, 07:52 AM   #56
Veteran Member

Nikon | Imaging Products | Specifications - Nikon Df

Per Nikon, Auto ISO is there. So yes, you can put the camera in M, pick your aperture and shutter speed, and the camera will set ISO.
11-05-2013, 08:21 AM   #57
Pentaxian

I wonder if removing the video contributed to the 1700 shots per battery charge. That's pretty good. Remove more video on still cameras then. The price is a bummer. Maybe they are targeting an initial high price so then can come down to the $2.2K range in 9 months.

BTW, I heard from a friend who heard from a friend why it costs so much. Photographers were telling the Nikon design team less is more. Use the K.I.S.S. principle. People from the Marketing department overheard the engineers talking about less is more on the new camera. When it came time to price the camera, the words less is more reverberated in their heads and that's just what they did. They charged more for less.
11-05-2013, 08:46 AM   #58
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Nikon | Imaging Products | Specifications - Nikon Df

Per Nikon, Auto ISO is there. So yes, you can put the camera in M, pick your aperture and shutter speed, and the camera will set ISO.
Ah, great to hear. The spec sheet I was sent before the announcement didn't include it.
11-05-2013, 08:54 AM   #59
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thom Hogan has added his thoughts to the Df launch

Digital (con)Fusion with the Nikon Df | byThom | Thom Hogan

I like the Df and would consider buying it at around $1600 as earlier rumors speculated the price would be.

Had I kept my Non Ai glass maybe I'd be all in at $2750 ?

I replaced my Non Ai lenses with newer Ai & AiS a few years ago so I don't actually need Df.

D700 remains my favorite dslr & it works great with Ai & AiS mounts
11-05-2013, 09:04 AM   #60
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
As a former Nikon F2 (my favorite 35mm SLR) owner, all I can say is drooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool..... I'm not gonna buy one, because I'm not up to my moobs in money and I no longer have any Nikon glass, but if it performs as good as it looks... Yowza!

That said, I'd still rather have a K-3. Better specs, video, etc...

Last edited by GibbyTheMole; 11-05-2013 at 09:11 AM.