Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-04-2013, 09:40 AM   #1
Veteran Member

First Nikon Df images up at SteveHuff

I want to get me a RetroD700.

This will use Non Ai lenses thru current 2013 glass.
Nikon offers up a full frame dslr that uses Nikon glass back to 1959.

Amazing.

Very 1st official images of the Nikon Df | STEVE HUFF PHOTOS

11-04-2013, 09:52 AM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
That's awesome. I've always hoped one of the big manufacturers would get around to producing one of these. If Nikon's doing it, then you better hope that the other companies will follow, and they likely will depending on how well this thing sells. I'd buy one in a heartbeat if I had the money. In fact, if I ever switched to the Nikon system, I'd get a DF as my body. This is very exciting news in my opinion.
11-04-2013, 09:53 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Marketing manipulation at it's highest form. It isn't as ugly as other nikon's at least.
11-04-2013, 09:57 AM   #4
Forum Member

I have a few Nikon-mount lenses and I am drooling over this camera.

11-04-2013, 09:57 AM   #5
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by borno Quote
Marketing manipulation at it's highest form. It isn't as ugly as other nikon's at least.
I have a strong weakness for vintage looking things. Not that it's any better of a camera, but dang...
11-04-2013, 10:30 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
This reminds me of the limited editions of Pentax DSLRs--not only the retro look, but the product is aimed at existing Nikon users whose memories are rosy. Personally I think both models are not very good looking cameras from the front--all those dials and knobs make it look like it's on steroids. Fuji's retro-designs are more subtle and artful. This is more the design team trying to convince the world about something,

M
11-04-2013, 10:35 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hmmm. I think they're missing the mark a bit with this. Looks cool, I think, but it's big and chunky. Viewfinder and traditional DSLR is nice, but it still just seems like a normal Nikon DSLR turned into a fashion accessory. What advantages will this have over similar cameras? Styling and nothing else? No doubt they'll get a lot of sales just from that. Either strip it down even further to make it cheaper and more compact, or pull the SLR design and go mirrorless FX. Keep the retro styling and put a nice EVF where you would expect, but make the body more like an old F series or smaller, made of metal and super durable. Make it more like what the K-01 was trying to be-- retro, flagship sensor in a stripped and small body, and for half the price. Just don't leave out a viewfinder... Maybe even make a short flange to focal length mount and have an adapter with all electronic contacts for all the existing lenses, and design a line of tiny superior FX primes to pair with it. Anyone that designs a MILC FX camera with a set of tiny primes but electric contacts through adapters to make full use of SLR lenses.

Also, anyone know if they will they be keeping up the tradition of the lack of metering for older lenses on their more affordable bodies with this?

11-04-2013, 10:41 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by fretlessdavis Quote
... or pull the SLR design and go mirrorless FX.
Perhaps they don't want to make a new line of FX lenses to go mirrorless with a thinner body.
11-04-2013, 10:44 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Shaped more like a boxy Pentax K-7/5/3 minus the ergonomic grip, rear side looks like a regular Nikon dslr and the top looks retro but in a exaggerated way.

This is the equivalence of Porsche Cayenne for me. Expensive and tasteless.
11-04-2013, 10:51 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Perhaps they don't want to make a new line of FX lenses to go mirrorless with a thinner body.
Besides styling what advantages would this camera *really* offer? Even if they kept the F mount and stripped out the mirror box and a few other things, they could definitely slim down the bulges, height, and make it overall more compact. They might not want to make a new mount, but high-end mirrorless is gaining a lot of traction with the enthusiast market... And as far as I've seen the Nikon 1 doesn't stack up to Sony or Fuji in terms of performance or popularity. It might be wise to capture more of the market, and with a well designed adapter, tempting people into nicer F mount lenses and eventually an FX DSLR in the future.

Maybe it's just me, but even the tiny Pentax DSLRs seem a bit big and unwieldy in my hands compared to my old film cameras, and I'd want something inspired by old cameras to feel more like an old camera in my hands-- Small and bulletproof.
11-04-2013, 10:53 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by fretlessdavis Quote
Besides styling what advantages would this camera *really* offer?
What advantage does any second camera people have to offer? Perhaps a D4 sensor at, hopefully, a more affordable price.
11-04-2013, 10:59 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
What advantage does any second camera people have to offer?
Should've kept my mouth shut until I read up on the specs more. Well refined lower MP FX sensor, no video, looks like a threaded cable release even? Some things I've been wishing for in a camera. I guess the advantage is that it's 'stripped out'. Just wish they could've done the same thing with the size....

Can't find info on pricing or size/weight. Anyone know?
11-04-2013, 11:03 AM   #13
Pentaxian

No price info out until tomorrow, I believe.
11-04-2013, 02:13 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Looks awesome!

11-04-2013, 03:23 PM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

Amazon Accidentally Publishes Nikon Df Page, Reveals a $2,750 Price Tag

Maybe a little on the expensive side.