Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-05-2013, 12:00 PM   #16

Is there any manual focus assist feature? I read that there isn't a split screen. Kinda pointless to mount old manual lenses and not be able to reliably focus. But maybe that's intentional - they want the retro look but don't want to hurt modern lens sale.
I guess people who bash it see through the retro smoke and mirror, to an overpriced camera with no real innovations. They judge it as a tool to take photos. OTOH people who love it will likely use it as a time machine, or as jewelry - something with more sentimental value, which comes with a bonus feature of taking great quality images.

11-05-2013, 12:28 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
There's the Nikon electronic "view finder" thingie, plus live view. And our Pentaxes haven't had officially replaceable screens either, yet there's a good aftermarket for them. That said, yeah, Nikon should have an alternate screen. They could make another $124 off it.
11-05-2013, 01:17 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Take a D600's (not even a D610's) guts (and D4 sensor which I highly doubt makes a huge difference in manufacturing cost), take away video, cram it in a faux-retro body, jack up the price $1000. Is this where things are going? Less functionality and "retro" looks = 50% increase in price?

If you're gonna offer a stripped down "pure photography" camera, it should at least cost less not more. Until that changes, please bash away.
11-05-2013, 01:20 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cannikin Quote
Take a D600's (not even a D610's) guts (and D4 sensor which I highly doubt makes a huge difference in manufacturing cost), take away video, cram it in a faux-retro body, jack up the price $1000. Is this where things are going? Less functionality and "retro" looks = 50% increase in price?

If you're gonna offer a stripped down "pure photography" camera, it should at least cost less not more. Until that changes, please bash away.
This.

Seems like a waste of money to me. Cool idea but definitely way too expensive.

11-05-2013, 02:21 PM   #20
Pentaxian

I really like the looks of it....but then the old Nikon F from the '60's, early '70's really appealed to me.

Nostalgia usually only sells to a limited market. Considering this Df doesn't do video and the full frame sensor...is quite a few MP's less than the D800....which is close in price....well I think it maybe a hard sell.

I'm a bit of a nostalgia fan....back in '78 I bought a new Yamaha SR 500 single...which was a really good, nostalgic copy of old British big single cylinder motorcycles of the '50's/'60's....so I understand the appeal of Nikon retro.

If I was Nikonian rather than a Pentaxian would I get it ? Maybe...if I had the budget as I'm primarily a still photographer.
11-05-2013, 02:32 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Nikonrumors website has a number of hands-on videos of the camera. Worth looking at if you're interested. Also, the battery is rated for 1400 shots per charge. That's impressive.
11-05-2013, 02:53 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Apparently, Nikon does not want to sell a lot of these based on their price. I don't what their reasoning is. But to advertise a retro camera for old MF glass and not give a proper viewfinder for it is just plain wrong. Obviously, their idea of old is really the D-lenses with limited support for even older.

I don't think of the DF as a retro camera at all. Just a different looking DSLR with more dials for controls. Perfect for me. I shoot aperture priority almost exclusively and switch between auto ISO and user defined. It still looks like you can use your thumb to unlock and move the focus point around while you looking through the viewfinder. Except for the price, it would be a good, higher performance camera to fill the space of my mirrorless that often frustrates me because its a little slow at AF.

11-05-2013, 03:15 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Because it's not a Canon?

Chris
11-05-2013, 03:17 PM   #24
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I think it's just not the product anyone expect from this particular brand. This is like what the K-01 would receive had its price was over $1000. This is that Hasselblad-cum-Sony NEX-7 thingy. This is that Panasonic compacts disguised as Leicas. This is an insult to the photography community.
11-05-2013, 03:28 PM   #25

And the Df juggernaut has been torpedoed: Nikon Df First Impressions Review: Digital Photography Review

QuoteQuote:
My worry about the Df is that Nikon might have gone too far backwards for the sake of cosmetic appeal, without really adding any practical benefit to the shooting experience.
As such, although I hate to say it: from a cold, hard practical point of view, I can't shake the feeling that the Df is a little bit... silly.
Well, that didn't last very long. Next!
11-05-2013, 03:36 PM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by prime.partisan Quote
And the Df juggernaut has been torpedoed: Nikon Df First Impressions Review: Digital Photography Review

Well, that didn't last very long. Next!
You cut that quote short. Also in that link

But whether you love it, hate it, or are just not sure, the Df is certainly one of the most interesting cameras of the year, and I can't wait to get hold of a production sample and start shooting with it

11-05-2013, 03:44 PM - 1 Like   #27
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DragonLord Quote
The Nikon Df has been announced, and why does it appear that everyone is bashing it? I understand that there's no video, it's very expensive for what it is, and the sensor has relatively low resolution, but I feel that this camera will gain a cult following.

This camera is more like a Leica than a mass-market Nikon DSLR. What's wrong with that?

--DragonLord
Because they want it but can't afford it?

D4 grade image quality for half the price will undoubtedly gain a following.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-05-2013, 03:47 PM   #28

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
You cut that quote short. Also in that link

But whether you love it, hate it, or are just not sure, the Df is certainly one of the most interesting cameras of the year, and I can't wait to get hold of a production sample and start shooting with it

Which doesn't have any real meaning. Interesting? Being silly surely qualifies as interesting. So they torpedoed the poor thing, then saved the crew. Happy ending for everyone
11-05-2013, 03:50 PM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by konraDarnok Quote
, but I'll be more harsh, the DF is the photographic equivalent of this., but a lot more expensive.
There is no arguing the outrageous price of this camera. But if you are as old as your avatar implies, perhaps you are in the middle. Not young and not old enough.

My one and only few data points is my young nephew and friends. They want cameras that don't look like today's conventional DSLRs. Either mirrorless or something that doesn't look like dad's generation of camera. And when he saw the picture of this DF it appealed to him right away. So perhaps if anyone is advocate of today's current DSLR look, maybe they're the old foggy.
11-05-2013, 03:56 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Because they want it but can't afford it?

D4 grade image quality for half the price will undoubtedly gain a following.
I don't see that as a selling point. I'd rather have D800 quality. The advantage of the D4 is high FPS without filling up the buffer, in my opinion. It's Nikon's only current sports camera. The DF has lost much of the benefit where the D700, with grip, was a true mini-D3(AF, FPS, etc)