Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-06-2013, 04:25 AM   #46
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
Personally, I think it's a pretty cool camera and if I was a Nikon guy I would want one. Right now, I'm thinking of all the threads I we have seen through the years wishing for a basic film camera with a digital back or a basic digital K1000. Well, Nikon did it although basing it on a high end film camera rather than a basic one and the ridicule starts. The only opinion that will count in the end are those who actually buy one. If Nikon is successful, everybody will be building a camera like this two years from now.

To add one thing, it would be hard for me to justify spending that much money on any camera body no matter how good it is. Maybe a used one in 5 years.
Do you know how much bashing of a digital K1000 there would be? Pentaxians constantly have the idea that if you left out all the stuff they don't need (video, special filters, etc) than you could sell a small full frame camera for 1000 dollars. But we see here that crippling the camera doesn't actually change the price. I suppose that there is a premium attached to the fact that this is a retro camera, etc. But crippling stuff that is already there doesn't save anyone any money -- this is all just software anyway.

11-06-2013, 05:26 AM   #47
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Interesting how almost no-one is talking about the Sony A7, now...
Sony a7R | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I have to say, the Sony looks mighty nice with the mf adapter...

11-06-2013, 05:37 AM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Sony a7R | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I have to say, the Sony looks mighty nice with the mf adapter...
The photo has a severe purple fringing...
Anyway, how would they control the aperture?
11-06-2013, 06:38 AM   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Do you know how much bashing of a digital K1000 there would be? Pentaxians constantly have the idea that if you left out all the stuff they don't need (video, special filters, etc) than you could sell a small full frame camera for 1000 dollars. But we see here that crippling the camera doesn't actually change the price. I suppose that there is a premium attached to the fact that this is a retro camera, etc. But crippling stuff that is already there doesn't save anyone any money -- this is all just software anyway.
The Df isn't a retro camera. It is a retro-styled camera and not from all angles, either: the back view, buttons and all, is standard digital DSLR. Nikon's engineers may well have wanted to follow the Less is More philosophy and I am sure they are more than capable of producing an absolutely superb camera. But it looks as if the marketing boys stepped in and mandated the creation of the full digital Monty combined with what they imagined a rich fellow might think a camera from the 1970s was really like, right down to the cheesey still chosen for a back drop.

So perhaps the virtues of this camera (and its vices since all cameras have both) have become lost in an argument about style wars which in turn revolves around money? If someone likes and wants this camera, why should they not get it and enjoy the experience thoroughly too? it will surely take excellent images.

On the other hand ... I was talking to two photographer friends this morning. Both said they thought Nikon had completely lost it, and if the Df was the last hurrah of the old Nikon we know today they wouldn't be surprised. They then cited a list of people they know who have simply walked away from Nikon over the past few years, most of them to Olympus, Fuji or Sony because those companies listen to their customers and produce elegant, high-quality and above all useful equipment - and usually at reasonably sane prices. That is what companies like Nikon seem to have drifted away from, particularly for customers of the D700 or D300s kind whom Nikon have simply abandoned. So: interesting times.

11-06-2013, 07:42 AM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
The Df isn't a retro camera. It is a retro-styled camera and not from all angles, either: the back view, buttons and all, is standard digital DSLR. Nikon's engineers may well have wanted to follow the Less is More philosophy and I am sure they are more than capable of producing an absolutely superb camera. But it looks as if the marketing boys stepped in and mandated the creation of the full digital Monty combined with what they imagined a rich fellow might think a camera from the 1970s was really like, right down to the cheesey still chosen for a back drop.

So perhaps the virtues of this camera (and its vices since all cameras have both) have become lost in an argument about style wars which in turn revolves around money? If someone likes and wants this camera, why should they not get it and enjoy the experience thoroughly too? it will surely take excellent images.

On the other hand ... I was talking to two photographer friends this morning. Both said they thought Nikon had completely lost it, and if the Df was the last hurrah of the old Nikon we know today they wouldn't be surprised. They then cited a list of people they know who have simply walked away from Nikon over the past few years, most of them to Olympus, Fuji or Sony because those companies listen to their customers and produce elegant, high-quality and above all useful equipment - and usually at reasonably sane prices. That is what companies like Nikon seem to have drifted away from, particularly for customers of the D700 or D300s kind whom Nikon have simply abandoned. So: interesting times.
I agree. It looks like someone took a retro designed top plate and stuck it on a modern DXXX. The specs are appealing, but the design fall short. How well it performs is the ultimate test though. It does appear to target those willing to pay a premium for style, but maybe the IQ is that much better than the D610.
11-06-2013, 12:29 PM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by richard balonglong Quote
The photo has a severe purple fringing...
Anyway, how would they control the aperture?
That photo was taken on a D800 - LOL

The M-mount lenses have no electrical contacts, so the aperture is controlled using the aperture dial on the lens.
11-06-2013, 12:33 PM   #52
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote

The M-mount lenses have no electrical contacts, so the aperture is controlled using the aperture dial on the lens.
Does it have a green button like a Pentax?

11-06-2013, 12:47 PM   #53
Pentaxian

Nikon Rumors is saying the DF was started 4 years ago and delayed due to the earthquake and shows some early design sketches from the summer of 2009.
11-06-2013, 01:25 PM   #54
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote

Taken with the 35mm 2.0 D lens. Perhaps I should reconsider getting that one, however, the 50/1.8D has some correctable CA, and it is otherwise excellent.