Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
11-11-2013, 12:30 PM   #16

I'd point people to this blog by Kirk Tuck and tell them to go get a K-01. While they still can.

11-11-2013, 01:54 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A friend with a D3100 was asking... I tried the D3100 and I really prefer the Pentaxes... but I recommended he look into Oly/Sony/Fuji mirrorless.
11-11-2013, 05:58 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I never recommend any DSLR. A compact or bridge camera almost invariably will meet their needs at far lower cost.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 11-11-2013 at 06:09 PM.
11-11-2013, 08:26 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've been a Pentax user since the .... well, long time ago.

I recommend Pentax gear to all who ask, period.

Sample: daugther has a Kr; a friend of mine has ordered a K500; son in law is seriously considering a K50 ...

JP

11-12-2013, 09:19 AM - 1 Like   #20
Forum Member

Most people have a camera in their phones with them all the time, so if they're asking me for advice, they're already looking for a DSLR.

My advice is threefold:

1) Decide on a budget.
2) Go try out Canon and Nikon cameras in your budget.
3) Pick the camera where you can intuitively find the features you want to use.

That's it. These cameras will all take good photos, so it really comes down to whatever feels better/more natural. Few will read the manual, so having what you need at your fingertips is key.

For what it's worth, out of the last two friends to whom I gave this advice, one picked a Canon and one picked a Nikon. To each their own.
11-12-2013, 01:07 PM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by shaX 07 Quote
Personally I pretty much recommend the K-50 to anybody who wants a good DSLR for around $500, but sadly I know people who just won't buy a Pentax.
It's a tough sell especially when they see the Nikon kit with 24MP selling for $100 less than the Pentax kit.
11-12-2013, 03:56 PM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

Who cares what camera brand it is. This is not a religious venture where the more people you convert the closer you sit to God in the after life. Advise should be given on pragmatic considerations and if that means brand-x or brand-y, so be it. And if I were the OP, I consider views from people that show more diversity than cult following.

11-12-2013, 04:58 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'd still recommend a Pentax.
If budget is low, then one that is entry level (not entry features) that is near end of product life (eg.K30)
If its high, K5IIs or K3
To me Pentax still offers the best balance in price, size of system, quality of o/p, legacy, legacy lenses; better crop factor trade-off; interface, features.

There are those who only want smallest, cheapest, MILC.
Then I'd recommend the close out Panasonic m4/3s, but nowadays the Oly m4/3 on close-out are as good if not better.
11-12-2013, 06:36 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by liveincontrast Quote
Most people have a camera in their phones with them all the time, so if they're asking me for advice, they're already looking for a DSLR.

My advice is threefold:

1) Decide on a budget.
2) Go try out Canon and Nikon cameras in your budget.
3) Pick the camera where you can intuitively find the features you want to use.
4) Then go for the Pentax !
That's it. These cameras will all take good photos, so it really comes down to whatever feels better/more natural. Few will read the manual, so having what you need at your fingertips is key.

For what it's worth, out of the last two friends to whom I gave this advice, one picked a Canon and one picked a Nikon. To each their own.
I just modified your post.
JP
11-21-2013, 03:33 PM   #25
Veteran Member

I always ask them a series of questions.

What's your budget?
What kind of pictures do you want to take?
Do you want to learn about photography, or just have the camera's auto modes make your decisions?
Do you care about how big/heavy the camera is?
Do you care about weather sealing?

If they want a small system camera, I steer them towards m4/3 cameras. If they just want full auto, I tell them to buy a Sony NEX. If they want weather sealing, I tell them to buy a Pentax. But after all my detailed analysis, they usually just go to costco and buy what's on sale. Seriously. Out of the 3 or 4 times I've given someone my detailed analysis on this topic, every single one has just gone out to a costco or other big box store and bought what was in front of them.
11-21-2013, 05:10 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Depending on the person I often recommend a fixed lens camera like the X20 or X100s. For most people who want to take snaps it gives better quality than a phone or cheap PoS and at the same time they can learn manual control and RAW post-processing and how cameras actually work before going the ILC route. I recommend they keep that camera for a couple of years to give themselves time to learn and decide which type of photography they want to pursue.

If they don't want to further their interest in cameras at least they are left with a good point and shoot.

Then I tend to recommend Nikon D5200 or D5300 or D7100 because of general performance and most of all availability of bodies, lenses and bits and pieces. Or the Sony NEX series. I'd love to recommend Pentax but it's too much aggravation trying to find the stuff and I'm not sure Pentax will be around next time they get off loaded, this time by Ricoh.
11-21-2013, 05:21 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
i try and recommend pentax as much as i can, but i ALWAYS tell them to hold as many different ones that they can. i've offered mine up a few times for people to play with, seeing how there aren't any dealers nearby.
11-30-2013, 08:39 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by link81 Quote
i try and recommend pentax as much as i can, but i ALWAYS tell them to hold as many different ones that they can. i've offered mine up a few times for people to play with, seeing how there aren't any dealers nearby.
I do that to a lot