Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-07-2013, 12:43 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Which SLRs do you recommend to friends and family?

Hey yall, I was just curious which non-Pentax SLRs you recommend to friends and family members (assuming they consult you for your camera purchasing knowledge).

Outside of the Pentax line up, what would you recommend to people looking in the $300-$700 range?

Personally I pretty much recommend the K-50 to anybody who wants a good DSLR for around $500, but sadly I know people who just won't buy a Pentax.

For them, my recommendations are along these lines:

<$450
Canon T3 - I pretty much wouldn't recommend this camera to anyone unless they said "I won't spend more than $400, and I won't buy used." Even if they did, I would try to convince them to spend a little more money or something.
Nikon D3100 - Pros: IQ on par with Rebel series, fairly inexpensive Cons: Old technology, weak video, no flip out or touch screen, no weather sealing.

<$550
Nikon D3200 - Pros: Good specs with good IQ. Cons: No Weather sealing, no flip out or touch screen.
Canon T3i - Pros: Good screen res, Flip out screen. Cons: IQ not up to par with D3200 for the same price, No weather sealing or touch screen.

<$650
Nikon D5100 - Pros: Good specs with good IQ, Flip out screen, good battery life Cons: No Weather sealing, no touch screen.
Canon T4i - Pros: Good screen res, Flip out screen, touch screen. Cons: IQ not up to par with D5100 for the same price, No weather sealing.
Canon SL1 - Pros: Good screen res, touch screen, smallest & lightest DSLR Cons: IQ not up to par with D5100 for the same price, No weather sealing, no flip out screen.

11-07-2013, 12:50 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I try not to recommend any... cause I have found if they struggle with the camera as many do... then I feel bad!

if it somebody who knows about cameras. I usually recommend the Nikons, because of the better flash system and some cheap primes and decent zooms.

Sadly i have never recommended Pentax because of all the work arounds you have to use, and the PTTL flash inconsistencies.
11-07-2013, 02:04 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Normally people who ask not know much or anything about DSRLs. I recommend buy cheapest canon kit they can find. Its enough camera for them. After using that for a while they have own idea what they want next. Maybe its flash, cheap 50mm lens, superzoom or maybe they are happy what they have.
11-07-2013, 02:33 PM   #4

For people who won't buy a Pentax, suggest them to go get a Ricoh K3.

11-07-2013, 02:34 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by shaX 07 Quote
Hey yall, I was just curious which non-Pentax SLRs you recommend to friends and family members (assuming they consult you for your camera purchasing knowledge).

Outside of the Pentax line up, what would you recommend to people looking in the $300-$700 range?

Personally I pretty much recommend the K-50 to anybody who wants a good DSLR for around $500, but sadly I know people who just won't buy a Pentax.

For them, my recommendations are along these lines:

<$450
Canon T3 - I pretty much wouldn't recommend this camera to anyone unless they said "I won't spend more than $400, and I won't buy used." Even if they did, I would try to convince them to spend a little more money or something.
Nikon D3100 - Pros: IQ on par with Rebel series, fairly inexpensive Cons: Old technology, weak video, no flip out or touch screen, no weather sealing.

<$550
Nikon D3200 - Pros: Good specs with good IQ. Cons: No Weather sealing, no flip out or touch screen.
Canon T3i - Pros: Good screen res, Flip out screen. Cons: IQ not up to par with D3200 for the same price, No weather sealing or touch screen.

<$650
Nikon D5100 - Pros: Good specs with good IQ, Flip out screen, good battery life Cons: No Weather sealing, no touch screen.
Canon T4i - Pros: Good screen res, Flip out screen, touch screen. Cons: IQ not up to par with D5100 for the same price, No weather sealing.
Canon SL1 - Pros: Good screen res, touch screen, smallest & lightest DSLR Cons: IQ not up to par with D5100 for the same price, No weather sealing, no flip out screen.
A lot of people are happy with the D3200/3100 even though it's a rather basic camera. I agree with @joojoo 2010 .

If your friends are picky, then recommend a D5100 or D5200 to them. They're both fantastic upper entry-level cameras.

I've never been a huge fan of the rebel lineup, but Canon's offerings are the best for video, so that's something to think about as well.

The main issue with Pentax, IMHO, is that their 18-55mm kit lenses scare beginners away with all the noise that they make. That and the fact that lenses, accessories, and support are all very hard to come by in local camera stores.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-07-2013, 02:35 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Nikon if they won't buy Pentax. I never liked canons build quality of ergonomics in this price point so I find it hard to recommend them.

11-07-2013, 02:51 PM   #7
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I've actually been steering people towards Micro 4/3 if they're not sure they want to carry an SLR.

Otherwise I tell them to go to any photography store (not big box store since they tend to carry only a few models, at least in Canada) and see that feels good in their hand. At entry level the playing field is pretty level. Then I tell them to have a look at the K-50.

11-07-2013, 03:28 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I usually tell them to get a decent high end compact camera and be happy, DSLR really is not for everyone
11-07-2013, 03:45 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

On my recommendation, my dad bought a K30 with the 18-135 lens. My brother bought a K5 with the same lens. I have no problem recommending Pentax cameras to those who are truly interested in photography. The biggest thing that separates a camera like the K30 from similar type offerings from Nikon/Canon is that there is much less crippling done on it, meaning that as they (hopefully) grow as photographers, they won't feel limited by the short comings that are built into the camera and its firmware.
11-07-2013, 04:34 PM   #10
Pentaxian

K50.....more bang for the dollar than Nikon/Canon.
11-09-2013, 08:26 AM   #11
Pentaxian

My oldest daughter was wanting a DSLR but with 2 kids and a husband on disability, times were tight. She shot film with a Nikon FM10 and had some Nikon lenses. I bought her a used D200 from KEH. She is still using it and happy.
11-09-2013, 09:41 AM   #12
Veteran Member

When people are asking me to recommend what camera "should" they buy for their casual family photos, their vacations, etc... I immediately recommend them to buy a bridge camera/super zoom camera or compact point-and-shoot cameras with good zoom range... Why? They will not going to have a problem on almost any focal lengths(super zoom covers almost everything) and most of them are not really interested in photography and just wanted a camera for their precious memories...
11-09-2013, 10:00 AM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

A friend is really happy with her Nikon D3200… and 18-200 lens. My daughter is really happy with her Canon, purchased second hand, my sister is happy with my old K20D, but when it comes right down to it, no one asks me…
11-10-2013, 07:17 PM   #14
Pentaxian

It's been probably 3-4yrs since I've recommended a dSLR to anyone - basically I feel that since the Panasonic GH2 got CDAF sorted (for non-moving subjects anyway), the mirrorless options have offered at least as much as entry-level dSLR bodies is a package that's just so much more portable. In my experience the bulk of a dSLR + zoom is the main reason people leave them at home.

Now that's not saying mirrorless is better at everything, but if a friend is at a level where the C-AF, longer fast-glass and full-frame sensors (the real advantages of dSLR's in my opinion) are relevant to them, then they generally know what they need and aren't asking for advice

So to answer the question, I usually recommend u43, but mainly because it's what I shoot and therefore have the most experience-based advice to give. I always add the caveat "Try what you can afford and buy what feels best."
11-11-2013, 02:44 AM   #15
Veteran Member

It really depends on what they want to shoot and what their budget is ! The Nikon 5300 is a superb camera for the money though for most I'd agree with richard balonglong and a superzoom does it all (long tele, macro and everything in between), even if nothing perfectly.