Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-09-2013, 09:25 PM   #166
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
So far, I try a SuperTakumar 55mm f/1.8 on the A7, it was great experience in shooting MF with A7 once I get over the initial confusion.
Please share some photos. I love the Super Tak 55mm - I have the cheaper f2 version, but it's a great artistic lens.

12-09-2013, 09:27 PM   #167
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Parry Quote
A super fast fifty option that's still in production and therefore readily available is the Nikkor 50mm f/1.2 AIS. I'm finding them new in box for less than 400.

Don't know how this fifty compares to the Pentax K and A f/1.2, but might be worth a look and easier to find than used stuff.
The Pentax A is supposed to be the best of the 1.2s
12-10-2013, 01:19 AM   #168

The FE 35mm f/2.8 is great but I am still thinking it overpriced. For the current pricing, it should carry f/2.0 speed.
Hinman, the FE35 2.8 isn't a cheap lens, but I find it's sharpness very high. In fact, it outresolves the A7's 24 MP sensor and is a good match for the A7r's 36MP sensor. In a sense, it's such a high performing lens, comparable or exceeding very expensive Leica's and other Zeiss glass. As for F2.8 vs F2, the lens weighs just 120g, so I'm extremely happy with the portability and if making it F2 meant making it bigger and heavier than I prefer it just the way it is.
12-10-2013, 11:02 AM   #169
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Some more photos of Mt Tomah, taken using the Super Wide Heliar 15mm.

It's certainly an interesting "toy" lens - insanely sharp in the middle, colour casting and smearing on the corners.

12-10-2013, 07:15 PM   #170
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tsammyc Quote
Hinman, the FE35 2.8 isn't a cheap lens, but I find it's sharpness very high. In fact, it outresolves the A7's 24 MP sensor and is a good match for the A7r's 36MP sensor. In a sense, it's such a high performing lens, comparable or exceeding very expensive Leica's and other Zeiss glass. As for F2.8 vs F2, the lens weighs just 120g, so I'm extremely happy with the portability and if making it F2 meant making it bigger and heavier than I prefer it just the way it is.
Thank you for your valuable feedbacks. The zeiss is a great lens and you and Christine bring up the good point that it is very small and light -- very close to my Sigma 30mm f/2.8 in E mount.

Thanks,
Hin
12-10-2013, 07:21 PM   #171
Veteran Member

I just happen to try out Sigma 30mm f/2.8 with rear baffle removed. In f/2.8 to f/5.6, the vignette are very manageable. Please note that I turn off the auto cropping mode. All are shot with A7 with either the FE 35mm f/2.8 or the Sigma 30mm f/2.8 all wide open shots. All shots are in jpg without editing.

Sony FE 35mm f/2.8

zeiss 35mm @ f/2.8

zeiss 35mm @ f/2.8

------

Sigma 30mm f/2.8 in FF mode without cropping

baffle removed

sigma 30mm @ f/2.8

sigma 30mm @ f/2.8

Of course the Sigma is no zeiss and with the vignette. But consider this is a $100 lens where some of us get the 2 lens deal with the older sigma, it has done way beyond what its value call for. Someone did something similar to Sigma 60mm f/2.8 and have similar finding. When aperture is stopped down to f/8 and further, the vignette are harder to fix. However, if I shoot in between f/2.8 to f/5.6, the shots can be used. Perhaps a special crop format as in 4x6 will trim out the vignette and make it more manageable.

Cheers,
Hin
12-10-2013, 10:21 PM   #172
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Of course the Sigma is no zeiss and with the vignette. But consider this is a $100 lens where some of us get the 2 lens deal with the older sigma, it has done way beyond what its value call for. Someone did something similar to Sigma 60mm f/2.8 and have similar finding. When aperture is stopped down to f/8 and further, the vignette are harder to fix. However, if I shoot in between f/2.8 to f/5.6, the shots can be used. Perhaps a special crop format as in 4x6 will trim out the vignette and make it more manageable.
Thanks for the photos. I agree that the vignette is manageable and even adds a nice touch to the photos.

The vignette should be completely fixable using a custom Adobe lens profile.

12-11-2013, 03:17 AM   #173
Veteran Member

Ergonomics are subjective.
Unfortunately, lack of touchscreen is objective. This is my main claim. The second is fixed EVF. I enjoyed touchscreen and tilted EVF with NEX-5n, they did my focusing faster. A7's direct controls accelerates workflow, compared to 5n, but not that much. On the other hand, lack of touchscreen make focusing performance much more slower. From 1-2 seconds with 5n (touch, focus) to something about 5 or even more: activate area box, move it with buttons - this makes all the difference, activate magnification (don't dare to touch shutter, or magnification will be canceled!), focus.
Second and significant gripe is fixed EVF. It is too limited compared to tilted. The latter is much more versatile, I can use it in many cases with 5n, where with A7 I would be forced to deal with back LCD (and all the consecutive slowdown).
So, you see, I'm not about different little weaknesses: the camera is defective by design for the way I'm using it. It's DSLR with poor predictive focusing and EVF, not a proper mirrorless camera.
There's no way I could find an acceptable workaround: I like portait shooting with 35-50mm lenses at the distance of 1.5-2m (so it is full size or half length portraits), and camera should be placed at lower positions, about at a level of a chest or a stomach. There's no way I could use VF, I'm forced to use back LCD.
To see what happens when using it on the eye level type "Sigma 35" in google and look pics, you will see distorted crap or headshots (which is not the best idea for 35mm).
Sure, so called "serious" photographers can argue with me, but, frankly, I find most of them are just not competent enough to value their opinion looking at their boring portfolios. They just too used to the old, defective, way of shooting, where they didn't have a choice.

Last edited by Emacs; 12-11-2013 at 10:47 AM.
12-11-2013, 04:04 AM   #174
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Emacs Quote
I like portait shooting with 35-50mm lenses at the distance of 1.5-2m (so it is full size or half length portraits), and camera should be placed at lower positions, about at a level of a chest or a stomach.
Thanks for sharing this tip - I have been wondering for some time now how you have managed to consistently achieve balance in your portraits - I must learn to shoot from the waist more often.

But probably not for photos of me - I have chunky legs so a balanced shot will expose my legs for the bulky elephant trunks that they naturally are
12-11-2013, 04:23 AM   #175
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
I have chunky legs so a balanced shot will expose my legs for the bulky elephant trunks that they naturally are
Ask for half size portraits then, no need to show your weaknesses
12-11-2013, 04:43 AM   #176
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Emacs Quote
Ask for half size portraits then, no need to show your weaknesses
LOL - unfortunately my face is a weakness too, so no close ups. Come to think of it, my chest is a weakness too, so probably best no portraits
12-11-2013, 05:55 AM   #177
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
LOL - unfortunately my face is a weakness too, so no close ups. Come to think of it, my chest is a weakness too, so probably best no portraits
Same story, thus I stick to the camera back
12-11-2013, 12:58 PM   #178
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Kiddies, don't try this at home ...

The Ultra Wide and Fish Eye adapters "kinda sorta" work with the SEL35F28Z lens, with acceptable results.

Ultra Wide Angle adapter:

Fish eye adapter:

12-11-2013, 01:39 PM - 1 Like   #179

A7 + Leica 35mm Summilux = PURE JOY!

12-11-2013, 02:21 PM   #180
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by chrisnmn Quote
A7 + Leica 35mm Summilux = PURE JOY!
Fantastic!