Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 490 Likes Search this Thread
12-18-2013, 11:52 AM   #226
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tsammyc Quote
I know that this is an image thread, but I thought that I would highlight that PC Magazine has measured the resolution of the A7r with the Otus (via Metabones adapter) and also the FE 55 F1.8 They are pretty close! Seems like few camera lens combos come close to the A7r and FE lenses. It's nice to finally sit on the bleeding edge of technology, without starving to pay for it.
Thanks. It seems these lenses are very reasonably priced after all - given the quality. Sony seems to have inherited the philosophy of Pentax (the reason why I bought Pentax in the first place) - small compact bodies with killer resolution, small very good performing lenses, for reasonable prices.

I do hope Pentax will eventually release a FF (maybe next year?) - it did not make sense for them to do so when they were owned by Hoya and FF technology would have required too much R&D investment, but under Ricoh I think they should be able to pull it off. I really hope they will consider a mirrorless FF - then we will see a true alternative to the A7/A7r.

12-18-2013, 12:14 PM   #227

QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
I do hope Pentax will eventually release a FF (maybe next year?) - it did not make sense for them to do so when they were owned by Hoya and FF technology would have required too much R&D investment, but under Ricoh I think they should be able to pull it off. I really hope they will consider a mirrorless FF - then we will see a true alternative to the A7/A7r.
+1
Especially when Fuji, which was rumoured to release an FF mirrorless camera soon is not willing to do so: Fuji says they will not make a Full Frame interchangeable system yet. | Mirrorless Rumors

Some pictures taken with a Jupiter-21M lens:

12-19-2013, 01:27 AM   #228
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Michelek Quote

Some pictures taken with a Jupiter-21M lens:
Very interesting "look" on these pictures. Is there any special processing done?
12-19-2013, 01:28 AM   #229
Veteran Member

Original Poster
A few different perspectives on the same scene taken on the Nokton 50mm f1.1.

12-19-2013, 05:51 AM   #230

Very interesting "look" on these pictures. Is there any special processing done?
Thanks!

I used only NIK Collection Silver Efex Pro (Hi-key) and then some sliders in LR (blacks-, clarity+, contrast +) for the first and last pictures.
The second one was treated with NIK Collection Color Efex Pro (Detail extractor - works fine with foggy pictures) first, then Silver Efex Pro, then LR.
12-19-2013, 12:43 PM   #231
Veteran Member

Detail extractor - works fine with foggy pictures
Don't know all circumstances you had with the weather conditions and particularly fog, but I would not bother fighting with its impact. It can make a great help with "levels". Watch "The last of mohicans" film to see what I mean.
12-19-2013, 12:57 PM   #232
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
Kodak Retina IV with DKL mount

wow. The A7 is really small!

This mirrorless thing really going to take over DSLR.... or it already did.

12-19-2013, 01:02 PM   #233

Anyone tried the new Zeiss FE 35mm from Sony can comment on the vignetting? There seems to be quite a bit of complains about vignetting on Amazon ...
12-19-2013, 01:05 PM   #234

QuoteOriginally posted by Emacs Quote
Don't know all circumstances you had with the weather conditions and particularly fog, but I would not bother fighting with its impact. It can make a great help with "levels". Watch "The last of mohicans" film to see what I mean.
I'm not fighting the fog, I just like the effect
12-19-2013, 01:54 PM   #235
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I used only NIK Collection Silver Efex Pro (Hi-key) and then some sliders in LR (blacks-, clarity+, contrast +) for the first and last pictures.
The second one was treated with NIK Collection Color Efex Pro (Detail extractor - works fine with foggy pictures) first, then Silver Efex Pro, then LR.
Thanks a lot!

I I like Nik a lot - I was experimenting with it just before buying the A7r and managed to get some really interesting (to me) photos.

I am currently resisting post processing on the A7r because I want to acclimatise myself to the "out of camera" images, but will be planning on using Nik with my pictures in 2014!
12-19-2013, 04:02 PM - 1 Like   #236

I am currently resisting post processing on the A7r because I want to acclimatise myself to the "out of camera" images, but will be planning on using Nik with my pictures in 2014!
I thought about it, too but just couldn't resist changing a little bit... then a little bit more... and more... and more... ;-)

One more B&W:
12-19-2013, 11:51 PM   #237
Pentaxian

Also disregard anything Luminous Landscape says - I also don't trust their opinions.
Interesting... I've considered the LuLa essays before all of my camera purchases for the last few years and generally found them spot on (as long as you accept that they're opinion)
12-20-2013, 12:12 AM   #238
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote

wow. The A7 is really small!

This mirrorless thing really going to take over DSLR.... or it already did.
Hmm. Quite a few people here complain that the K-5/3 is too small for their hands (not me, btw), so I really doubt claims like that. For me, weight is an increasing factor, not size.
12-20-2013, 02:15 AM   #239
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nickthetasmaniac Quote
Interesting... I've considered the LuLa essays before all of my camera purchases for the last few years and generally found them spot on (as long as you accept that they're opinion)
I generally don't read their essays (the few that I have read I have either found boring or disagreed with - frankly I don't care about their opinions about cameras or where the industry may or may not be heading). I am not singling them out - I generally don't read opinion articles because I prefer forming my own opinions rather than letting someone else influence me.

But I have found their lens reviews (which are the only things I read) to be uninformative, occasionally downright misleading, and my personal experience is often radically different from theirs. Not saying I am right and they are wrong, but I will not be using their reviews to guide my purchases.
12-20-2013, 08:21 AM   #240

Well, got my Sigma 30mm f/2.8 back today, did some test photos (I will present them on my blog later on this week) and my conclusion is that if you need a very good quality (sharpness, no smearing and no vignette - landscapes for example ) from corner to corner, you have to stop the lens down to f/5.6 and crop it down to 40mm field of view. Otherwise you can get more or even use a full frame, like here: