Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-22-2013, 06:52 PM   #256
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Michelek Quote
Nicely done, Christine, lots of excellent shots!

Hin, thank you for the info on a vented hood for the Sigma lenses. I don't use a hood very often, but this one surely looks sexy ;-)

Just one shot today, A7 + Sigma 30mm, heavily cropped:
I love the picture in the framing and the lighting. Michele, how do you create a custom lens profile so that the most steps in the cropping, scaling, and vignette adjustment become a click on the Lens correction or batch process. I downloaded the Adobe Lens Profile Creator but so far I don't quite know how to use it properly.

In Lens correction for Sigma 30, I use Scaling for 120 and Vignette in the range of 50 to 70 depending on the aperture use. Can you clue me in roughly your correction?

And here is another interesting thread that a user with both FE35 and Sigma 30 comparing the two on A7, most people pick the Sigma 30 to be the better set of the two, you can see the voting results

Eagle Eye Game: Sony Zeiss FE 35mm f2.8 vs Sigma 30mm f2.8 on A7: Sony Alpha/NEX E-mount Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

[update] After LR 5.3 update and shooting raw instead of CIZ in x-fine jpg, the lens profile correction picked up by LR for both Sigma 30 and 60 seem to correct most of my vignette corners and I only need a minor tuning of +45 on vignette and no scaling on my sigma 30 or 60. I don't have good picture from the Sigma 60 to post but the lens is VERY sharp, my first impression of the Sigma 60 is sharper than both of Sigma 30 and E 50mm f/1.8.

Cheers,
Hin

Last edited by hinman; 12-22-2013 at 08:13 PM.
12-22-2013, 11:56 PM   #257
Forum Member

This camera looks absolutely stunning. Almost Leica-like in its color rendition.
12-23-2013, 02:30 AM   #258
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
More Christmas lights with the SEL35F28Z - around the Castle Hill area (Gardenia Pl, Grandoaks Pl):

12-23-2013, 02:43 AM   #259

QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
I love the picture in the framing and the lighting. Michele, how do you create a custom lens profile so that the most steps in the cropping, scaling, and vignette adjustment become a click on the Lens correction or batch process. I downloaded the Adobe Lens Profile Creator but so far I don't quite know how to use it properly.
Thanks, Hin!
To be honest, I don't use any custom lens profile other than onoe that's already in LR. First of all, I'm lazy :-) And as far as the vignetting is concerned, it's different depending on how far you focus, so I prefer to take less photos and process every file separately.

QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
[update] After LR 5.3 update and shooting raw instead of CIZ in x-fine jpg, the lens profile correction picked up by LR for both Sigma 30 and 60 seem to correct most of my vignette corners and I only need a minor tuning of +45 on vignette and no scaling on my sigma 30 or 60. I don't have good picture from the Sigma 60 to post but the lens is VERY sharp, my first impression of the Sigma 60 is sharper than both of Sigma 30 and E 50mm f/1.8.

Cheers,
Hin
So you say that the vignette with Sigma 60mm f/2.8 is more or less the same as with Sigma 30mm?

Nice shots again, Christine!

12-23-2013, 11:38 AM   #260
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, Hin!
To be honest, I don't use any custom lens profile other than onoe that's already in LR. First of all, I'm lazy :-) And as far as the vignetting is concerned, it's different depending on how far you focus, so I prefer to take less photos and process every file separately.
I Have created lens profiles for all my lenses - happy to upload to this forum if anyone is interested.

The vignetting model depends on both aperture and focus distance (as well as focal length - but that's fixed for a prime). Unfortunately, neither is present in the EXIF information.

What I do is I add the EXIF information manually into every picture I take. It requires me to make note of the parameters used in each shot. I only enter aperture information, not focus distance (since it would be approximate anyway based on lens barrel markings).

You may have noticed none of my photos show any vignetting (apart from the ones taken in the first few days after I bought my camera, before I created the lens profiles).

PS - I didn't do a lens profile for the Super Heliar 15mm. Given the rather "unique" characteristics (to put it "kindly") of this lens, it's important to retain those characteristics in the final image.
12-23-2013, 01:09 PM   #261
Veteran Member

Michele and Christine, thank you for all the inspiration.

Here are few shots with A7 and Sigma 60 f/2.8 with the rear baffle removed. Shot in raw, lens profile correction enabled in all shots. Cropping noted in pictures

cropped manually, lens profile correction enabled

original in f/8 without any editing

scaling 106, +33 on vignette

original in f/4.0 without any editing

big crop

original

And the longer distance will have more to work on the corners

Cheers,
Hin

Last edited by hinman; 12-23-2013 at 01:22 PM.
12-23-2013, 02:25 PM   #262

Thank you very much, Hin!

My decision is made - I'm buying the Sigma 60mm as soon as possible!

Christine, if you would be so kind as to upload your lens profiles to the forum, I'm sure many of us will appreciate it a lot

12-23-2013, 02:29 PM   #263
Veteran Member

From what I've seen both the Sigma 30 and 60 seem to be really excellent.
Looks like a good budget alternative to the very expensive Zeiss lenses.
But one should wait what else Sigma comes up with next year.
12-23-2013, 03:07 PM   #264

QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
From what I've seen both the Sigma 30 and 60 seem to be really excellent.
Looks like a good budget alternative to the very expensive Zeiss lenses.
But one should wait what else Sigma comes up with next year.
I'm changing (buying and selling) my lenses all the time, so I will have fun with Sigmas until, say, July 2014 and I will see what will the Sigma Company bring to us

BTW - I've added some real life samples to my Sigma 30mm test, you can find them here: Per analogia: Sigma 30mm f/2.8 DN + Sony A7 - praktyczne zdj?cia przyk?adowe / real life samples

One of them (no cropping, LR lens profile used, some PP):
12-23-2013, 03:13 PM   #265
Veteran Member

Thank you very much, Hin!

My decision is made - I'm buying the Sigma 60mm as soon as possible!

Christine, if you would be so kind as to upload your lens profiles to the forum, I'm sure many of us will appreciate it a lot
Michele, if you like the Sigma 30, you will for sure like the Sigma 60. When I try it on the A7, I am quite blown away with the sharpness that I get on the center. I have not yet looked for corner performance as I am usually center shooting type of guy with pictures like in the cat and hen.

In the dark and close object, I don't even need to crop or scale from raw file. The lens profile correction in LR 5.3 takes care most of work

sigma 60mm @ f/2.8, no cropping, lens profile correction enabled, very minor editing

It is almost like the lens is made for the FF. But of course, when I take pictures on distant object, some work need to be done with cropping. And the Sigma 60 will work out great on the aps-c as well.

When I have more time, I will show similar work on the Sigma 19, unlike the 30 and 60, more work need to crop on the 19 and the hood can't be used on the 19 as it blocks off the light on A7. With some work on cropping, I feel like getting a reasonable 24mm f/2.8 from the Sigma 19.

Cheers,
Hin
12-23-2013, 03:53 PM   #266

This looks really nice, Hin.

As far as the wide angle is concerned, I will stick to my SEL-20F28. I can also get a 24mm picture from it, PDAF is working fine and it's smaller than the Sigma lens. I tried to remove the rear baffle from the Sony but my screwdriver is too big...
12-23-2013, 05:38 PM   #267
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Christmas lights from Borgnis St Davidson - all taken on SEL35F28Z

12-23-2013, 06:40 PM   #268
Veteran Member

Her name is Tricie

Sigma 60mm f/2.8, big crop as in 1/10th of the original
shot @ f/5.6, minimal editing beside crop
12-23-2013, 07:56 PM   #269
Veteran Member

I am a bit odd as I love taking pictures on old and new cameras. These are mostly shot with Sigma 60mm f/2.8 on NEX 5N

Kodak Retina IV with a Xenar 45mm f/2.8 pancake in DKL mount

Vented lens hood on SupTakumar 55mm f/1.8

@Michele, the vented lens hood add personality to all of my SuperTakumar lenses. And they are functional as well. Look for vented lens hood for 46mm for Sigma and 49mm for the Super-Takumar

And this is how the Sigma looks mounted on A7

shot with Sigma 30mm f/2.8

shot with SuperTakumar 55mm f/1.8

If I have to buy it again, I will try the silver one for sure

Cheers,
Hin

Last edited by hinman; 12-23-2013 at 08:07 PM.
12-23-2013, 08:06 PM   #270
Veteran Member

And I tried out the Minolta AF 50mm f/1.7 on LA-EA4. Not so sure if I can recommend this lens as I think the Pentax A 50mm f/1.7 have better image quality. This is a cheap AF 50mm for about $60. But I am always curious on the Minolta AF on LA-EA4, hence I bought it for curiosity. It is not too bad, loud in AF but pretty reasonable in AF speed on the LA-EA4. I will next try to get LA-EA1 and remove baffle for both MF and use in combination with LA-EA4

shot with Minolta AF 50mm f/1.7 @ f/1.7 on A7

shot with Minolta AF 50mm f/1.7 @ f/2.8 on A7 with a +4 diopter

Cheers,
Hin