Photos: Gallery

with the CV12

06-29-2014, 02:45 PM - 2 Likes   #662
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
by jenkwang, on Flickr
with the CV12
Your pictures are so amazing. All of your Bali shots stick in my mind, they are all great captures. They are stunningly beautiful and your photos with A 50mm f/1.4 gave me the tinkling splurge to find them onb eBay. And your shot with the CV 12 and your 24mm are awesome ...

Cheers,
Hin

---------- Post added 06-29-14 at 02:49 PM ----------

All shot with Takumar 85mm f/1.9 and A7

Cheers,
Hin

Last edited by hinman; 06-29-2014 at 03:30 PM.
06-29-2014, 04:54 PM   #663
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Your photos are great too hinman!!!

Sorry for not posting photos lately. I'm in the middle of transitioning from Picasa to Flickr and it's taking longer than I thought.
06-29-2014, 07:24 PM   #664
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
Your pictures are so amazing. All of your Bali shots stick in my mind, they are all great captures. They are stunningly beautiful and your photos with A 50mm f/1.4 gave me the tinkling splurge to find them onb eBay. And your shot with the CV 12 and your 24mm are awesome ...

Cheers,
Hin[COLOR="Silver"]
Hin, Thanks for your very kind words.

Nice shots from you too.
It gives me a glimpse of places/events that I will never have access to.
Your shots of you son gives me a warmth that encourages me to shoot more photos of my children too.

07-01-2014, 03:58 PM - 2 Likes   #665
Pentaxian

CV12
07-04-2014, 03:08 AM   #666

QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
Unfortunately, I can't really answer your question, since I don't own a K-3 and have no intentions of buying one. I did own a K-5, but have since sold it. I still own a K-01.

If you have only Pentax lenses and don't intend to switch systems, I would recommend buying a Pentax camera. Perhaps there will be a Pentax FF camera on the horizon, but otherwise the K-3 is probably the best Pentax you can buy today.

You do lose a lot using adapted lenses on a camera. For example manufacturer supplied raw processing parameters, EXIF data, auto focus (for most types of lenses). You also lose quality through the adapter shim. Hopefully by using native lenses, the manufacturer has optimised the sensor for the registration distance of the native mount - this cannot be guaranteed for adapted lenses, and indeed some of the vignetting, colour cast and smearing issues we see in the photos on this thread should be less on a native M mount camera such as the Leica M.

I had a Leica M9 for a brief period, and I decided not to keep it because of various issues. The Leica M Type 240 doesn't really address many of my issues, and yes I have tried it briefly. I keep hoping Leica (or somebody else - maybe even Ricoh) will actually produce an M body I will buy one day. But in the meantime, the Sony is a fun camera and I like trying different lenses on it even with the disadvantages I noted earlier.

I will probably end up using it with native E-mount lenses (I have the SEL35F28Z on order, and plan to buy the SEL55F18Z). If you are willing to switch to a brand new system (Sony full frame E mount) then I think the camera is worth your consideration. I am very impressed by the quality of the images - they actually look sharp even at the pixel level - similar in quality to the D800E (I am not willing to say better at this stage).
Picking up on this thread for the first time. I am enjoying your contributions very much - so much knowledge and so much patience. Just great. Most of us here are bedevilled with the decision of moving systems and it largely boils down to cash and financial loss. Always there will be new and better systems because things in life keep changing. I have a K5iiS complemented with a number of excellent Pentax primes with which I am extremely happy but I can understand why Pentaxians are interested in the A7. I am likewise as I see it as a terrific tool to use my bought-from-new SMC Takumar lenses ranging from 24mm to 200mm and they are lying unused so this would seem to be a perfect answer to complement my existing Pentax digital cameras and lenses. I just need the cash!
07-04-2014, 06:00 AM   #667

QuoteOriginally posted by tsammyc Quote
Over the weekend, I was in Penang Island for half a day to attend an event and took a little time to shoot with the A7r and Zeiss 35mm FE

The IQ here is astounding and confirms that the 35 mm f/2.8 lens is a must buy.

07-04-2014, 03:36 PM   #668
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by chezpentax Quote
Picking up on this thread for the first time. I am enjoying your contributions very much - so much knowledge and so much patience. Just great. Most of us here are bedevilled with the decision of moving systems and it largely boils down to cash and financial loss. Always there will be new and better systems because things in life keep changing. I have a K5iiS complemented with a number of excellent Pentax primes with which I am extremely happy but I can understand why Pentaxians are interested in the A7. I am likewise as I see it as a terrific tool to use my bought-from-new SMC Takumar lenses ranging from 24mm to 200mm and they are lying unused so this would seem to be a perfect answer to complement my existing Pentax digital cameras and lenses. I just need the cash!
Thank you for your kind words. The A7 and A7r cameras are starting to get discounted, hopefully even more once Sony release new models. I love the Takumars, the lack of coating gives a nice bright look in photos.
07-04-2014, 05:19 PM - 1 Like   #669
Veteran Member

DSC07773-2

DSC07777

DSC07784

A7 and Rikenon p 50mm f/1.4. Shots taken in San Francisco around AT&T park after SF Giants game on Embarcadero street.

Cheers,
Hin

Last edited by hinman; 07-05-2014 at 04:11 AM.
07-05-2014, 01:28 AM - 2 Likes   #670
Pentaxian

A7+Pentax A50/1.4

Maybe I don't really need a FF for a shot that is stopped down, but with small houses we have here, the working distance of a 50mm on FF makes it a bit easier
07-05-2014, 06:24 AM   #671

QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
Her name is Tricie

Sigma 60mm f/2.8, big crop as in 1/10th of the original
shot @ f/5.6, minimal editing beside crop
This is a super sharp pic. A stupid question that maybe be answered elsewhere - Can you use this 60 mm Sigma lens on the A7 without any special settings and if so does it deliver images without vignetting or whatever, in other words, perfect in terms of what resolution is offered by the lens? If I were to purchase this lens I would wish to be able to use by simply clapping it to the front of the A7 and shoot and not expect to have shortcomings like vignetting, etc.
07-05-2014, 10:36 AM   #672
Veteran Member

DSC01895
Sigma 60 on A7, big crop from original

QuoteOriginally posted by chezpentax Quote
This is a super sharp pic. A stupid question that maybe be answered elsewhere - Can you use this 60 mm Sigma lens on the A7 without any special settings and if so does it deliver images without vignetting or whatever, in other words, perfect in terms of what resolution is offered by the lens? If I were to purchase this lens I would wish to be able to use by simply clapping it to the front of the A7 and shoot and not expect to have shortcomings like vignetting, etc.

DSC07567

DSC07566

quick answer: No

The above two shots show the Sigma 60 looks on A7. I use it in a pinch in FF non-crop mode on A7. There will be vignette. And you will get less vignette if you remove the rear baffle. On LR5.4, there is lens profile correction and vignette corner lens effect which works extremely well for Sigma 30 and to a lesser degree on Sigma 60. Sigma 30 vignette less on corners. For sigma 60, without any post processing, a slight crop with 1.2x focal length or 72mm field of view will clear most of the vignette. You can also experiment with Clear Image Zoom of 1.2x but the feature only works in JPG mode and the focusing is odd with green rectangle and I use DMF to fine tune the focus. Clear Image Zoom don't work in Raw and I can't figure out the reason with big green rectangle upon focus. I now prefer the straight use in non-crop FF mode and post process the vignette -- much easier with LR.

I won't recommend highly usage of Sigma 60/30/19 on A7/r/s but in lack of AF lens, that is what I do in a pinch in sharing equipment between my A7 and NEX. When I manage to save up enough for the FE 55mm f/1.8, I will leave the Sigma charms for the NEX. They are the best value lens for aps-c. I wish Sigma will come out with similar lens series for the FE.

DSC07538
Shot with A7 and Sigma 30 in non crop FF mode
  • baffle is removed
  • non-crop mode
  • PP with both Lens Profile correction along with Lens Effect on Vignette post crop adjustment in LR

The above product shot on Sigm 60 was shot with Sigma 30 on A7 in non-crop mode. PP is needed to address the vignette in LR in either lens correction or lens effect vignette corner. It is in the lower right side menu in LR. Look for Lens Profile Correction and Lens Effect with Post Crop Vignette.

And if you don't do anything on editing, vignette will happen, more on smaller apertures. The following shot probably has a slight crop already and I didn't apply lens correction along with post-crop vignette adjustment in LR.

DSC02037
Sigma 60 on A7 with slight crop

DSC02029
Sigma 60 on A7 with bigger crop, still traces of vignette, will be gone if I use the LR vignette post crop adjustment

DSC07574
Sigma 30 on A7

This is how Sigma 30 looks on A7 and it works better on A7 in regards to vignette. There will always be vignette to deal with. Expecting none will be unrealistic with these aps-c lens usage on full frame non-crop mode.
Hin

Last edited by hinman; 07-05-2014 at 11:32 AM.
07-05-2014, 10:46 AM   #673
Banned

A7+Pentax A50/1.4

Maybe I don't really need a FF for a shot that is stopped down, but with small houses we have here, the working distance of a 50mm on FF makes it a bit easier
OMG, that is a perfect portrait ! BTW , what was the aperture on the A50mm F1.4 ? I am guessing F4 ?

Last edited by jogiba; 07-05-2014 at 10:52 AM.
07-05-2014, 11:30 AM   #674
osv
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
OMG, that is a perfect portrait ! BTW , what was the aperture on the A50mm F1.4 ? I am guessing F4 ?
x2 pinholecam, what an outstanding shot.

imho, it's not all about the equipment, that pic would have looked nice if it was shot with a point and shoot.

this whole series of pics that you have been posting have been great, thx!
07-05-2014, 01:09 PM   #675
Veteran Member

jenkwang, on Flickr
A7+Pentax A50/1.4

Just beautiful. When you have a chance, I like to learn from you post processing steps. There is always a pop in your picture and I especially like the natural looking in the shot.

Cheers,
Hin