Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-16-2014, 07:12 PM   #781
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: North
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,466
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
This is outstanding. Naive question: is it HDR?
Thanks.

I did blend in a bit of a -1.7ev exposure for the highlights in the horizon (middle part where the Sun is), but the rest, including most of the clouds can be recovered from one exposure.

11-16-2014, 07:14 PM   #782
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Mikesul's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 6,553
QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
Thanks.

I did blend in a bit of a -1.7ev exposure for the highlights in the horizon (middle part where the Sun is), but the rest, including most of the clouds can be recovered from one exposure.
Well, it is a remarkably clear, intense image. The right kind of HDR.
11-17-2014, 04:57 AM   #783
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: North
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,466


A7+CV21/1.8 Ultron
11-18-2014, 01:54 PM   #784
Veteran Member
Christine Tham's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Sydney, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,269
Original Poster
Taken on a lunchtime walk yesterday - the wreck on Sawmiller Reserve

FE 16-35mm in panorama mode


11-18-2014, 04:04 PM   #785
osv
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: So Cal
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,080
that panorama looks pretty clean, can't wait to see some more fe16-35 stuff.
11-18-2014, 05:23 PM - 1 Like   #786
Veteran Member
Christine Tham's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Sydney, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,269
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote
that panorama looks pretty clean, can't wait to see some more fe16-35 stuff.
Here's a low light example - these are the stained glass on the Queen Victoria Building rear entrance
11-18-2014, 05:32 PM   #787
osv
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: So Cal
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,080
pretty clean! thx... looks like f/4 at 16mm

this could be the best fe-mount zoom so far.

11-18-2014, 06:45 PM   #788
Veteran Member
Christine Tham's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Sydney, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,269
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote
pretty clean! thx... looks like f/4 at 16mm

this could be the best fe-mount zoom so far.
Definitely.

I had low expectations when I bought it - I was thinking - probably about the same level of quality as the 10-18 E mount, and probably a bit soft wide open.

So far the results have exceeded my expectations - it's definitely a class above the 10-18, and still sharp wide open. Contrast is not as up there with a high quality prime, but that's easily fixed post processing, but even so much better than I expected a zoom to be.

As an example of contrast handling, here's another shot from yesterday - this time after work. I love how the trees appear to be surrounding the church and casting strong shadows on it:
11-19-2014, 01:10 AM   #789
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: North
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,466
QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
Definitely.

I had low expectations when I bought it - I was thinking - probably about the same level of quality as the 10-18 E mount, and probably a bit soft wide open.

So far the results have exceeded my expectations - it's definitely a class above the 10-18, and still sharp wide open. Contrast is not as up there with a high quality prime, but that's easily fixed post processing, but even so much better than I expected a zoom to be.

As an example of contrast handling, here's another shot from yesterday - this time after work. I love how the trees appear to be surrounding the church and casting strong shadows on it:
Congrats on your new purchase.

I was in Japan when it became avaliable (at a very good price), but my mind was already made up for the CV21/1.8 Ultron for a CV12+CV21 combo.

By all accounts so far, it seems its the best zoom for the A7 system (good wide focal length coverage on it too )
11-20-2014, 05:48 AM   #790
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: North
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,466


A7+CV12/5.6
11-20-2014, 12:12 PM   #791
Veteran Member
Christine Tham's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Sydney, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,269
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote

A7+CV12/5.6
Nice. Where is this in Singapore?
11-20-2014, 03:11 PM   #792
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: North
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,466
QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
Nice. Where is this in Singapore?

Thanks Christine, its near the Golden Mile area along Beach Rd.


Oh, just updated to LR5.7 last night which comes with CV12 profiles.
At first glance, looks like its going to make corrections for the vignette and color cast much easier.
11-20-2014, 05:06 PM - 1 Like   #793
Veteran Member
Christine Tham's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Sydney, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,269
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
Thanks Christine, its near the Golden Mile area along Beach Rd.


Oh, just updated to LR5.7 last night which comes with CV12 profiles.
At first glance, looks like its going to make corrections for the vignette and color cast much easier.
Wow, that's good news. I also heard Version 3 of the 15mm has been announced and out in March - supposedly much more "friendly" for digital cameras compared to previous versions (mine is the original screw mount version).

By the way, this is a no-processing "out of camera Raw buffer" photo on the FE 16-35mm - intended to showcase colour saturation and rendition
11-22-2014, 05:44 AM   #794
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: North
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,466

11-23-2014, 12:42 PM   #795
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Mikesul's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 6,553
How usable is the A7r handheld? I know it can be done but I have a sense that most of the impressive pictures with the camera have been on a tripod. Of course, tripods always make it easier to get steady shots but they are not suitable for many photographic uses. Can the A7r be reliable when handheld in less than ideal circumstances?
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
bali, bit, bottom, camera, centre, day, doll, f2.8, flickr, focus, frame, greys, helios, hin, lens, lenses, newcastle, photos, pictures, post, road trip, shots, store, studio, sydney, tamron, thanks, thread, time, trip
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Post your Sony RX100 Pictures Here twitch Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 430 06-11-2020 09:03 AM
Sony Alpha System Pictures Thread faceless_el Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 1 09-03-2013 04:20 PM
Γεια σας από Κύπρος kwacka Welcomes and Introductions 2 06-17-2011 02:12 PM
Another Competitor - The New Sony α-700 carpents Pentax DSLR Discussion 11 09-06-2007 05:30 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:58 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top