Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-24-2014, 03:44 PM - 1 Like   #796
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
A few more from me again.
M42 lens day for me Soligor 17/4; Helios 44 and J9.

by jenkwang, on Flickr

by jenkwang, on Flickr

by jenkwang, on Flickr

by jenkwang, on Flickr

Soligor 17/4 m42 mount

by jenkwang, on Flickr

by jenkwang, on Flickr

---------- Post added 11-25-2014 at 07:29 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
How usable is the A7r handheld? I know it can be done but I have a sense that most of the impressive pictures with the camera have been on a tripod. Of course, tripods always make it easier to get steady shots but they are not suitable for many photographic uses. Can the A7r be reliable when handheld in less than ideal circumstances?

I don't have the A7r (got the A7).
A7 is a more generalist camera (faster shutter reaction; less harsh on old lenses, more reasonable mp to deal with)

I've seen poor shooting discipline shooting handheld just waste off the resolution of the A7r.
But of course that varies from person to person.
In theory, its only as hard to do hand hold shooting as a 16mp aps-c camera since the pixel density is the same.

I think the others who have A7r can better comment.

11-24-2014, 04:32 PM   #797
Veteran Member

Original Poster
How usable is the A7r handheld? I know it can be done but I have a sense that most of the impressive pictures with the camera have been on a tripod. Of course, tripods always make it easier to get steady shots but they are not suitable for many photographic uses. Can the A7r be reliable when handheld in less than ideal circumstances?
I never use a tripod.

Last edited by Christine Tham; 11-24-2014 at 04:39 PM.
11-24-2014, 05:01 PM   #798
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
I never use a tripod.

[
Thanks. Just what I wanted to know.

---------- Post added 11-24-14 at 05:03 PM ----------

Thanks. These are great photos!
11-24-2014, 05:16 PM   #799
osv
Veteran Member

when i first got the a7r, i tried to shoot it like my old k10d... always fighting to use the slowest possible shutter speed, because i was used to the lousy k10d iso performance... wrong approach for this camera, and really, any camera.

right away i saw that the level indicator in the evf would jump hard when the shutter was fired, even when the camera body was screwed down to a heavy video tripod... it's sort of similar to the mirror slap that dslrs have.

so i got into the habit of shooting everything at ~1/400th or quicker, maybe 1/320th in a pinch... handheld 90% of the time, never a problem.

11-24-2014, 05:25 PM   #800
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote
when i first got the a7r, i tried to shoot it like my old k10d... always fighting to use the slowest possible shutter speed, because i was used to the lousy k10d iso performance... wrong approach for this camera, and really, any camera.

right away i saw that the level indicator in the evf would jump hard when the shutter was fired, even when the camera body was screwed down to a heavy video tripod... it's sort of similar to the mirror slap that dslrs have.

so i got into the habit of shooting everything at ~1/400th or quicker, maybe 1/320th in a pinch... handheld 90% of the time, never a problem.
This sounds a lot like what I used to do with my MX film camera. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
11-24-2014, 06:44 PM   #801
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote
right away i saw that the level indicator in the evf would jump hard when the shutter was fired, even when the camera body was screwed down to a heavy video tripod
Really? Sounds like a rabbit-trap, not a shutter
Maybe that's something Sony could work on in any A7R II.
11-24-2014, 08:01 PM   #802
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks. These are great photos!
Thanks.

The interesting thing is - none of those photos can be taken with a tripod. They all involve unusual shooting angles (one was taken with the camera pointing vertically down with my hands held over a balcony), some were taken when I was moving.

The A7r encourages a completely different style of photography that's about as far removed from "putting the camera on a tripod" approach if you want it to be. Because the camera is light, it enables some shots that would be very difficult (or impossible) to achieve on a heavier camera without a tilting LCD.

I don't have an issue with shutter speeds - I've managed to get clean shots handheld on shutter speeds down to the 1/10 time, of course depends on the focal length etc.

11-25-2014, 06:12 AM - 1 Like   #803
Pentaxian

Some street/candid shots with the Helios 44 and J9

Last edited by pinholecam; 11-25-2014 at 06:23 AM.
11-25-2014, 12:56 PM   #804
osv
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Really? Sounds like a rabbit-trap, not a shutter
Maybe that's something Sony could work on in any A7R II.
the level indicator jump is lessened considerably when the body is bolted up to something, but it's still a door slamming shut on something, i think

if sony gets efcs, pdaf, maybe ibis, and perhaps 4kp60, this camera will be such a home run!

it's a killer camera, as it sits right now... i've been able to shoot everything that i shot before with the k10d; drag racing, surfing, and plus, it got me into landscape shooting in a huge way.

being forced to shoot ff legacy glass in 100% manual mode has taught me how to spot lens defects better than i probably ever could have with a crop sensor autofocus camera like the k-3.

flip side is that if you needed ibis and native pdaf right now, maybe that new a7ii would be the way to go... you'd still get a similar manual focus experience, albeit with 11.7x evf magnification vs. the 14.4x evf magnification on the a7r.
11-25-2014, 04:57 PM   #805
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks.

The interesting thing is - none of those photos can be taken with a tripod. They all involve unusual shooting angles (one was taken with the camera pointing vertically down with my hands held over a balcony), some were taken when I was moving.

The A7r encourages a completely different style of photography that's about as far removed from "putting the camera on a tripod" approach if you want it to be. Because the camera is light, it enables some shots that would be very difficult (or impossible) to achieve on a heavier camera without a tilting LCD.

I don't have an issue with shutter speeds - I've managed to get clean shots handheld on shutter speeds down to the 1/10 time, of course depends on the focal length etc.
This is very encouraging. I rarely use a tripod because it is just too awkward for the things and places I shoot. Nice to see that the full frame works well without tripod stability.
11-26-2014, 05:36 AM   #806
Veteran Member

Thanks.

Not exactly so in my opinion: that would be the case if the camera had touch screen. Plus, preferably no bulky VF
11-26-2014, 12:45 PM - 1 Like   #807
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Emacs Quote
Not exactly so in my opinion: that would be the case if the camera had touch screen. Plus, preferably no bulky VF
Touch screens are so 2009.

For very difficult situations I like using the phone as the viewfinder/shutter. I'll probably end up buying a QX1 for those really weird shooting positions.

---------- Post added 11-27-2014 at 07:06 AM ----------

A pair of lovers captured in a dark alleyway
11-26-2014, 01:19 PM   #808
Veteran Member

For very difficult situations I like using the phone as the viewfinder/shutter. I'll probably end up buying a QX1 for those really weird shooting positions.
Having a camera in one hand and a phone in another is already a very difficult situation.
Having a remote google-glass style viewfinder looks like the way, with controls on camera, touchscreen included. To say, using touchscreen with VF (to quickly choose focusing point) works great on panasonic cameras.
11-26-2014, 03:23 PM   #809
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Emacs Quote
Having a camera in one hand and a phone in another is already a very difficult situation.
Having a remote google-glass style viewfinder looks like the way, with controls on camera, touchscreen included. To say, using touchscreen with VF (to quickly choose focusing point) works great on panasonic cameras.
A glass viewfinder would be cool.

Sony does make a wristwatch viewfinder - intended for the Action Cam but works on all Sony cameras.
11-26-2014, 08:15 PM   #810
Pentaxian

A7+Pentax FA*85/1.4