Some from the trip I am on in Seoul....

Gyeongbokyeung Palace

Pano with A50 and A7RII

Batis 25

I like the second one alot

06-02-2016, 04:29 AM - 1 Like   #1112
Pentaxian

Sony A7RII Batis 18

1. 1/6 f/22 ISO 50 Handheld (overslept my alarm for 40 mins before sunrise and grabbed cameras and ran out the door - was staying close to beach)

I picked up a 24 - 70 GM yesterday, and from all the feedback online was expecting it to be a monster. Perhaps because I have been carrying the DA645 28 - 45, I found it considerably lighter than suggested. First impressions are that it is sharp with good contrast. Still don't much like focussing by wire, when the light fades autofocus fails, and focussing fully to the right isn't it seems infinity.

5. My sister in law's spaniel before he bit through his tongue 24 - 70 f/2.8 GM

6. Local beach

06-02-2016, 02:22 PM   #1113
Pentaxian

Spent the afternoon playing lawn bowls for a local team... took my A7RII and 24 - 70 f/2.8 GM with me

My bowls -

06-09-2016, 01:21 PM - 3 Likes   #1114
Veteran Member

A7r, Sony Zeiss Distagon T* 1.4/35 ZA

06-20-2016, 10:39 AM   #1115
Pentaxian

Scenes of Bram Stoker's Dracula were set at this point...

Sony A7RII Sony FE 24 - 70 f/2.8 GM

06-21-2016, 05:43 PM - 1 Like   #1116
Pentaxian

Sony A7RII Batis 18 f/2.8

07-03-2016, 02:34 PM   #1117

With all the hype around the outstanding new K-1 I could not resist myself to get a Sony A7 body in the second-hand market at an excellent price. It was the most affordable way to get a full-frame system for my Pentax glass collection. I know I am arriving late to the game, but I must say I am amazed by how well the manual focusing can be done with this camera. Yes, it's actually my first interchangeable mirrorless body, so I am still discovering its many advantages. This said, I do not discard at all to go for a K-1 in the future, when this camera becomes (even) more affordable.

I know it's a A7r thread but I think I will post some A7 picture here anyway.

07-18-2016, 05:06 AM - 1 Like   #1118
Pentaxian

Some shots from my seat on a flight from Frankfurt to London on final approach to Heathrow:

Sony A7RII Sony FE 24 - 70 f/2.8 GM

07-22-2016, 07:11 AM - 1 Like   #1119
Pentaxian

Some more from the lake district...All Handheld

1. Sony A7RII FE 24 - 70 GM f/2.8 Handheld pano:

2. Another handheld pano

07-25-2016, 06:57 AM   #1120

has anyone here got the sony A7 and also the pentax K-1? what is your opinion when you make comparisons between both cameras? I know the K-1 actually delivers better files and is a much more capable body, but how do you feel about focusing with manual lenses, for instance, with both bodies? do you think the new K-1 viewfinder may be as adequate for manual focusing as the old pentax film bodies? does the manual focus in the K-1 is comfortable as in the sony A-7 electronic viewfinder? I would like to know your opinion.
07-25-2016, 06:31 PM   #1121
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rodaballo Quote
has anyone here got the sony A7 and also the pentax K-1? what is your opinion when you make comparisons between both cameras? I know the K-1 actually delivers better files and is a much more capable body, but how do you feel about focusing with manual lenses, for instance, with both bodies? do you think the new K-1 viewfinder may be as adequate for manual focusing as the old pentax film bodies? does the manual focus in the K-1 is comfortable as in the sony A-7 electronic viewfinder? I would like to know your opinion.
I have the A7r and the K-1. Manual focusing, I find, is easier with the K-1.

Reasons:

1. The adaptor for SLR legacy glass is quite long for the Sony E-mount (as for any SLR to MILC adaptation due to flange distance), makes for awkward MF ergonomics, not helped further by the "unique" ergonomics of the A7r itself;
2. I find the focus confirmation in the K-1's OVF more effective than focus peaking in the EVF of the Sony. The OVF in the K-1 is good enough for manual focusing;
3. I often find focus peaking in the EVF distracting and confusing, it kind of gets in the way in many instances, whereas the K-1 provides a simple red flash and the focus point emboldens in black;
4. The A7r's shutter lag can feel like a long haul flight, doesn't inspire confidence in MF shooting, whereas the K-1 is quick;
5. Native Sony/Zeiss FE glass has this manual focus-by-wire system which is frankly awful;
6. Pentax "catch-in-focus" works well if you set the camera up in burst mode.

Just to add, the K-1's RAW files are more malleable than the A7r's. I was quite astonished at the difference.

Last edited by HopelessTogger; 07-25-2016 at 06:59 PM.
07-26-2016, 08:27 AM   #1122

QuoteOriginally posted by HopelessTogger Quote

Reasons:

1. The adaptor for SLR legacy glass is quite long for the Sony E-mount (as for any SLR to MILC adaptation due to flange distance), makes for awkward MF ergonomics, not helped further by the "unique" ergonomics of the A7r itself;
2. I find the focus confirmation in the K-1's OVF more effective than focus peaking in the EVF of the Sony. The OVF in the K-1 is good enough for manual focusing;
3. I often find focus peaking in the EVF distracting and confusing, it kind of gets in the way in many instances, whereas the K-1 provides a simple red flash and the focus point emboldens in black;
4. The A7r's shutter lag can feel like a long haul flight, doesn't inspire confidence in MF shooting, whereas the K-1 is quick;
5. Native Sony/Zeiss FE glass has this manual focus-by-wire system which is frankly awful;
6. Pentax "catch-in-focus" works well if you set the camera up in burst mode.

Just to add, the K-1's RAW files are more malleable than the A7r's. I was quite astonished at the difference.
Many thanks for your thoughtful and detailed answer. I am amazed that the K-1's optical viewfinder is actually that good. I am afraid that I will have to wait and save a lot to afford that camera. Meanwhile my FF dependence will be controlled. I will post some pictures taken with the Sony A7 and pentax old glass in this thread.
07-26-2016, 09:19 AM   #1123
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rodaballo Quote
Many thanks for your thoughtful and detailed answer. I am amazed that the K-1's optical viewfinder is actually that good. I am afraid that I will have to wait and save a lot to afford that camera. Meanwhile my FF dependence will be controlled. I will post some pictures taken with the Sony A7 and pentax old glass in this thread.
Best try before you buy, just to confirm.
08-01-2016, 05:19 AM   #1124
Pentaxian

Some from London over the weekend with A7RII and FE 24 - 70 f/2.8 GM

08-01-2016, 08:51 PM   #1125
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by HopelessTogger Quote

Reasons:

As it happens, I just got through buying a used Sony A7 for use with vintage lenses. I had tried using legacy lenses on my K-S2 but found manual focusing without a split-prism and microprism screen was not working for me -- and Katz Eye are out of business. Also, the focusing screen in the K-1 can't be swapped out anyhow. By comparison, the A7's focus peaking and magnification are working very well for me. It's the most effective focus peaking I've seen.