Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-04-2013, 12:03 PM   #121
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Michelek Quote
Well, I bought some Canon FD (used) lenses, including the 85/1.2 and 55/1.2 and just can't wait to see how they perform with the A7 (tomorrow it arrives! ).

Christine, you look like a very joyful girl on these pictures
Michele and Christine, I need the A7 push. I was undecided on nex 7 vs A7 decision today as there is a great deal on nex 7 in Bhphoto that ends today. If I get A7 instead, does it make sense to get the kit lens? I learn from Chistine that the FE 35mm f/2.8 is my 1st to-get lens with A7, but my question remains if the kit lens is worth getting for the $300 difference?

Also, I plan to jump on the LAEA-4 purchase I am not sure how the LAEA4 behaves with 3rd party A mount lens such as the Tamonr 28-75mm f/2.8 or my favorite wide zoom with Tamron 17-35mm f/2.8-4.0 if I can find a copy in Sony A mount.

Thanks a bunch,
Hin

12-04-2013, 12:12 PM   #122
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
Michele and Christine, I need the A7 push. I was undecided on nex 7 vs A7 decision today as there is a great deal on nex 7 in Bhphoto that ends today. If I get A7 instead, does it make sense to get the kit lens? I learn from Chistine that the FE 35mm f/2.8 is my 1st to-get lens with A7, but my question remains if the kit lens is worth getting for the $300 difference?

Also, I plan to jump on the LAEA-4 purchase I am not sure how the LAEA4 behaves with 3rd party A mount lens such as the Tamonr 28-75mm f/2.8 or my favorite wide zoom with Tamron 17-35mm f/2.8-4.0 if I can find a copy in Sony A mount.

Thanks a bunch,
Hin
I don't need the push, I need a reliable supplier and adapters, neither of which can be found here in Thailand.

One option you might want to consider is the LAEA-4 plus the Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art lens. This thing is apparently stunning on a full frame. DXO have it right up there with the best of them . . .

Ratings - DxOMark
12-04-2013, 12:16 PM   #123
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Thanks a bunch,
Hin
If I am getting a FF camera and I don't have any lenses that can use on it, I will take the "kit lens".... if you already have other lenses in mind for the camera, I will just buy the body.

I am getting warm up to the A7/A7r more now... but as of now I didn't quite like the colors of PENTAX glass on SONY body.
My ideal FF set up is body + wide angle 17mm-35mm f2.8 zoom + 50mm + 85mm.
12-04-2013, 01:20 PM   #124
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
but as of now I didn't quite like the colors of PENTAX glass on SONY body.
Please note that RAW processors for the A7 are not ready yet. This has a significant impact on the way the file looks in terms over color, detail etc..

12-04-2013, 02:08 PM   #125
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
FA* 24 F2 - I have never really liked this lens very much on Pentax cameras - I bought it for my K10D and have hardly used it, even with the K-5. It is probably the most underused Pentax lens I have in my collection.

To my surprise, it has a nice, but slightly quirky rendering on the A7r. Renders quite a dreamy look.

And quite surprisingly, it makes a rather good lens for capturing human subjects.

Lily pond at Chinese garden at Fagan Park (Gardens of Many Nations):

Another photo from other side of lily pond:

Australian garden:

English garden - this one is in the shade with no flash, but it turned out okay - just

South American garden:

North American garden:
12-04-2013, 02:15 PM   #126
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Parry Quote
I don't need the push, I need a reliable supplier and adapters, neither of which can be found here in Thailand.
I hope you are okay with all the protests currently happening in Thailand.

Qantas was advertising special business class airfares to Thailand and I was interested but my partner quickly told me it's because of the protests and tourism is down.
12-04-2013, 02:15 PM   #127

Thanks a bunch,
Hin
I don't have the A7 yet (it arrives tomorrow ) but form what I've seen there is a big difference in the image quality between the NEX-7 and A7 cameras (in A7's favour, of course). NEX-7 isn't a bad camera at all but I would never choose it instead of A7...
As for the lenses I had the same choice to make - with or without the kit lens. I decided that it's not worth spending $450 (yes, this is a difference in prices in Poland) for a lens I will rarely use - I will save this money to buy the 35/2.8 later on.

I had a LA-EA2 adapter and used it with my NEX-6 and some third party lenses (Tamron and Sigma). It worked fine, just as an SLT camera would. The only problem you may encounter is that the lens ID may be doubled and it may affect the AF fine tuning (some third party lenses "introduce" themselves to the camera/adapter as other Minolta/Sony lenses) but it happens rarely and AFAIR not with the two lenses you mentioned.

12-04-2013, 02:17 PM   #128
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Christine, you always have that smirk on your face, like you know something I don't… stop that.
12-04-2013, 02:32 PM   #129
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Michelek Quote
I don't have the A7 yet (it arrives tomorrow ) but form what I've seen there is a big difference in the image quality between the NEX-7 and A7 cameras (in A7's favour, of course). NEX-7 isn't a bad camera at all but I would never choose it instead of A7...
NEX7 is a bit old now and doesn't have Hybrid AF, and there's a replacement coming out early next year if you believe the rumours.

Other than that it is a great camera.

I think comparing the A7 and NEX7 are like comparing apples and oranges - FF vs APS-C sensors. In an ideal world get both - they will be useful in different circumstances.

My ultimate aim is to own FF, APS-C and Micro 4/3 bodies and swap my M-mount lenses across all three sensor sizes. Still to decide whether I want the Olympus OMD-EM1 or Panasonic GX7. I'm pretty happy with my NEX6, but if Sony wows me with a killer NEX7 replacement I may not be able to resist. I have friends who laugh at my Sony addiction.
12-04-2013, 06:14 PM   #130
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
NEX7 is a bit old now and doesn't have Hybrid AF, and there's a replacement coming out early next year if you believe the rumours.

Other than that it is a great camera.

I think comparing the A7 and NEX7 are like comparing apples and oranges - FF vs APS-C sensors. In an ideal world get both - they will be useful in different circumstances.

My ultimate aim is to own FF, APS-C and Micro 4/3 bodies and swap my M-mount lenses across all three sensor sizes. Still to decide whether I want the Olympus OMD-EM1 or Panasonic GX7. I'm pretty happy with my NEX6, but if Sony wows me with a killer NEX7 replacement I may not be able to resist. I have friends who laugh at my Sony addiction.
Christine and Michele, thank you for all the various inputs. I have ordered mine with next day delivery on the A7 + kit + FE 35mm f/2.8. Ouch on my credit card. I am little puzzled on the battery, are the battery compatible to those of nex 5n/6/7. They look alike. I can't stand UPS charging with camera.

Cheers,
Hin
12-04-2013, 06:58 PM   #131
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Christine and Michele, thank you for all the various inputs. I have ordered mine with next day delivery on the A7 + kit + FE 35mm f/2.8. Ouch on my credit card. I am little puzzled on the battery, are the battery compatible to those of nex 5n/6/7. They look alike. I can't stand UPS charging with camera.
Welcome to the club!

Yes, they all use the same battery. In fact, I haven't even charged or used the battery that came with the camera :-)

One battery will easily last a whole day of shooting. I have shot over 1000 photos (in Raw+JPEG mode) on one battery (well, I filled up a 32GB SD card and continued shooting on a second card), and have yet to run out of a single battery in the field.
12-04-2013, 08:47 PM   #132
Veteran Member

Nice series with the FA*24 Chris, too bad I am not in Sydney at the moment or we can meet up and see how my FA Limiteds and K50 f1.2 performs on your A7r

——————————————————Edit————————————————

Hang on, you still have the 43 right? Have you done any test with that on your A7r?
12-04-2013, 10:04 PM   #133
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by elpolodiablo Quote
Nice series with the FA*24 Chris, too bad I am not in Sydney at the moment or we can meet up and see how my FA Limiteds and K50 f1.2 performs on your A7r
Don't worry - we can meet up in January. :-)
12-05-2013, 12:25 AM   #134

QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
I have owned the E-M5 since it's launch and recently upgraded it to the GX7. I considered the E-M1, but felt it was a bit chunky and when packaged with the 12-40, was no longer a light package. Also, I just liked the rangefinder look of the silver GX7, whereas the E-M1 looked like a shrunken black SLR. The E-M1 has better IBIS and has more buttons, but neither are important to me as I hold steadily enough and prefer the camera to be simple. One thing to check is if you see rainbows in the GX7 viewfinder as this has been a problem to some users sensitive to the technology of it's viewfinder.

I use M43 for two reasons. First is macro. I find the Olympus 60mm F2.8 macro lens wonderfully sharp and both the E-M5 and GX7 focus quickly and accurately when the subject is just a few mm from the lens. All my other macro setups, based on DSLRs, I've had to manual focus. When shooting fast moving insects, M43 stands supreme and just this is worth having a M43 setup. Second, the crop factor of 2.0x makes a 300mm lens, 600mm. I have the Panasonic 100-300 lens. Although it's a little chunky, its about 1/3 the size and weight of my Sony 70-400g lens and I can carry it around all day without strain. It's not as sharp as the 70-400G, but oh so much more portable. Plus the IBIS is good enough that even at 600mm EFL, I can get away with a light monopod and don't usually need a tripod, which saves more weight.
12-05-2013, 01:44 AM   #135
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tsammyc Quote
I have owned the E-M5 since it's launch and recently upgraded it to the GX7. I considered the E-M1, but felt it was a bit chunky and when packaged with the 12-40, was no longer a light package. Also, I just liked the rangefinder look of the silver GX7, whereas the E-M1 looked like a shrunken black SLR. The E-M1 has better IBIS and has more buttons, but neither are important to me as I hold steadily enough and prefer the camera to be simple. One thing to check is if you see rainbows in the GX7 viewfinder as this has been a problem to some users sensitive to the technology of it's viewfinder.
Thanks very much for your thoughts, which are similar to my preferences. One additional thing - Olympus and Sony are likely to share more technology in the future. I think the current EM1 is too big (it's actually slightly bigger and heavier than the A7r!). The GX7 is nicer looking and smaller but I do have some concerns about Panasonic's future. Having said that, Panasonic and Leica are partners and I do secretly hope they will produce a mirrorless that accepts M mount.