Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-03-2013, 04:15 AM   #106
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Short review: the camera is the best camera I have ever owned. Period.

The SEL35F28Z? Just get it. Apart from the superb image quality (it does have a touch of vignetting, but it's pretty sharp wide open), the AF is blazing fast. I can't really describe it, but it blows the NEX6 and Hybrid AF away. Very sure footed, no hunting, and it's locked as soon as I half press the shutter button.

Oh, another thing - get the grip. Seriously. It makes the camera so much easier to handle, particularly for portrait shots. And it's really light - it weighs almost nothing.

12-03-2013, 05:44 AM   #107
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
Short review: the camera is the best camera I have ever owned. Period.

The SEL35F28Z? Just get it. Apart from the superb image quality (it does have a touch of vignetting, but it's pretty sharp wide open), the AF is blazing fast. I can't really describe it, but it blows the NEX6 and Hybrid AF away. Very sure footed, no hunting, and it's locked as soon as I half press the shutter button.

Oh, another thing - get the grip. Seriously. It makes the camera so much easier to handle, particularly for portrait shots. And it's really light - it weighs almost nothing.
This is before firmware updates too!

Thank you Christine.
12-03-2013, 07:29 AM   #108

I second Christine's opinion on the FE 35 28Z. It is the sharpest lens I have overall and believe or not, weighs a featherlight 120g. I think it's sharper than my ZM Biogon 35F2. I also think it has the Zeiss rendering as well. It's a must buy. I can't wait to get my hands on the 55mm 1.8 Z lens. It's more than twice the weight of the FE 35 at 280g, but should be a stunner, judging from the FE 35.

I've had to order the grip from Japan as they don't seem to stock it here. Hoping the LA-EA4 and large A-mount lenses will handle well with it after that.
12-03-2013, 07:38 AM   #109

Christine, tsammyc - thank you for your feedback!

12-03-2013, 02:34 PM   #110
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Some photos of myself, taken on the SEL35F28Z by my partner.

The first few photos are taken without Eye AF

Taken in AUTO mode:

This one is P mode with the HVL-F20AM flash:

At Mt Tomah, AUTO mode:

At Mt Tomah, A mode:

At Mt Tomah, A mode with Eye AF:
12-03-2013, 04:24 PM   #111
Veteran Member

Many thanks for all these excellent, helpful photographs. Although my head firmly says no - be sensible, stick with Pentax or maybe try a Canon FF - my heart is increasingly saying Go Sony and Zeiss. I don't know how much longer I'll be able to hold out without one or the other overheating ...
12-03-2013, 04:46 PM   #112
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
Many thanks for all these excellent, helpful photographs. Although my head firmly says no - be sensible, stick with Pentax or maybe try a Canon FF - my heart is increasingly saying Go Sony and Zeiss. I don't know how much longer I'll be able to hold out without one or the other overheating ...
I know, this decision is becoming increasingly less tricky. Have a read of this, then read the comments.

Tim Ashley Photography | Sony A7R with a selection of Leica M lenses and a Novoflex adaptor

QuoteQuote:
13. Tim Ashley Photography
Scott, I am not so sure I am disappointed: it is actually a tad better than I feared with M glass and I knew that my hopes there were unlikely to be met. My disappointments are small and relate to annoyances such as Auto ISO implementation and the stupid manual (try looking up 'Zebra'). Basically, it is almost as good as a D800 file-wise, with the great benefit of smaller size and weight and the downside of a consumer mindset to aspects of the design and the initial and perhaps prolonged lack of availability of a good native lens range. But I can tell you this: I am currently using it a lot and if the 24-70 is in the same ballpark as the Nikon 24-70 F2.8, it will become my main camera bar none…

Per the Otus, I am afraid I won't be getting one. In fact if the FE 24-70 is reasonably good I will probably lose my D800 and M240 systems altogether and whittle life down to the A7R, Em-1 and IQ 180...
I'm not wrong about the move away from DSLR's to the newer model mirrorless like the EM-1 and the A7r.

12-03-2013, 07:18 PM   #113

Interesting analysis of the Zeiss FE lenses from a D800/Leica user

#166. Are the new Zeiss / Sony lenses for the A7 camera too expensive ? | Dear Susan,
12-03-2013, 10:26 PM   #114
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote

You have ti decide why you want to change makes, your talking Pentax VS canon FF your looking at 2 different systems you need to look at what lenses you have, if you have a variety of FF lenses from different manufactures which i have that why i brought a sony A7r so i could use them as they are meant to be used FF , Pentax does not have a FF yet and if they do in the future i would buy it as well , i can still use the A7r with my other lenses and the K511s and a Pentax FF with my Pentax lenses , Pentax cameras take just as good pic as any other brand , if you want long AF telephoto lenses you may change to Canon or Nikon as Pentax is a bit limited , there are many people who make a living shooting Pentax camera so it only the ability of the photographer be be able to get great photos from his or her gear .
12-03-2013, 10:30 PM   #115
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
Some photos of myself, taken on the SEL35F28Z by my partner.

The first few photos are taken without Eye AF

Taken in AUTO mode:

This one is P mode with the HVL-F20AM flash:

At Mt Tomah, AUTO mode:

At Mt Tomah, A mode:

At Mt Tomah, A mode with Eye AF:
Nice pink stocking Christine, Thought that was mount Tomah,glad to see the fire did not get to it ,
12-04-2013, 02:25 AM   #116
Veteran Member

Original Poster
FA43 Limited at Fagan Park

African Garden:

12-04-2013, 03:13 AM   #117
Veteran Member

A super fast fifty option that's still in production and therefore readily available is the Nikkor 50mm f/1.2 AIS. I'm finding them new in box for less than £400.

Don't know how this fifty compares to the Pentax K and A f/1.2, but might be worth a look and easier to find than used stuff.
12-04-2013, 05:21 AM   #118

Well, I bought some Canon FD (used) lenses, including the 85/1.2 and 55/1.2 and just can't wait to see how they perform with the A7 (tomorrow it arrives! ).

Christine, you look like a very joyful girl on these pictures
12-04-2013, 11:34 AM   #119
Inactive Account

Here's one with a fast fifty - A50 1:1.2 @1.2 (on the A7)

12-04-2013, 11:37 AM   #120
Inactive Account

And a floral effort.......