Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 490 Likes Search this Thread
01-10-2014, 04:20 PM   #346

I thought there would be a bigger difference in the IQ in the corners with a close focus but... these images look good anyway.
And the third one - oh, I like it very much!

01-10-2014, 05:00 PM   #347
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Michelek Quote
I thought there would be a bigger difference in the IQ in the corners with a close focus but... these images look good anyway.
And the third one - oh, I like it very much!
Thanks for encouraging me to experiment with close focusing. I like it a lot - will post some street shooting photos later on when I get the opportunity. It's a great street shooter because it captures so much of the street.

In the meantime, here are some almost macro shots (it has a min focusing distance of only 0.3m - I have the earlier screw mount version)

01-11-2014, 05:00 PM   #348
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Here they are = street shots on the 15mm. These are taken around John St in Cabramatta, which has a very high population of Vietnamese migrants.

01-12-2014, 01:59 PM   #349
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Finally, started doing some processing, I tried my best to avoid processing in the last 2 months to get used to the out of camera look.

This is a single shot taken in the evening, then processed using a combination of Nik Color Efex Pro and Analog Efex Pro

01-13-2014, 11:08 AM   #350
Veteran Member

Original Poster

01-13-2014, 02:53 PM   #351

Great shots. There's some unusual perspectives of Sydney harbour there. Thanks for sharing.

I also went for a walk in the city on the weekend. Took the FA43.

Stitched pano:

Last edited by camerons; 01-15-2014 at 02:58 PM.
01-14-2014, 11:20 AM   #352
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by camerons Quote
I also went for a walk in the city on the weekend. Took the FA43.
How are you liking the FA43 now? The panorama looked quite nice. I would be interested to see the other image in B+W with some contrast adjustment.

Here's some photos of Grosvenor Place. I remember working in this building in the 80s when it was brand new - I was working in a stockbroker and they could afford leasing the swankiest and most prestigious building in town back then. These shots were captured on a weekend when the building is quiet.

01-14-2014, 04:43 PM   #353

QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
How are you liking the FA43 now? The panorama looked quite nice. I would be interested to see the other image in B+W with some contrast adjustment.

Here's some photos of Grosvenor Place. I remember working in this building in the 80s when it was brand new - I was working in a stockbroker and they could afford leasing the swankiest and most prestigious building in town back then. These shots were captured on a weekend when the building is quiet.
Thanks for the B&W tip. I'll give it a go.

It's ok. I don't like the undamped focus ring. It is fairly easy to bump as you release it or between shots. At this stage I'm thinking that it doesn't really offer me anything that one of the two native primes wouldn't. It's nice and light and compact, but the heavy adapter ruins this.

I've decided to start selling off the rest of my Pentax gear. The FA43 will be the last to go, but if it means I can get either one of the Zeiss primes or, more likely, the upcoming zoom I'll probably sell it too. I should be getting my hands on some Leica lenses soon too. Inherited from the same grandmother I got the Alpa stuff from.

That is one impressive building Christine. Would have been pretty amazing walking in there everyday for work.
01-15-2014, 02:54 AM   #354

B&W version of the bridge:

I also added a bit more punch to the colour version. I think I like the B&W version better though. Thanks Christine.

Another taken with the kit lens.

01-15-2014, 12:36 PM   #355
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by camerons Quote

I also added a bit more punch to the colour version. I think I like the B&W version better though. Thanks Christine.
I also like the B+W version, glad you tried it!

I nearly sold my FA43 a few years ago, but decided to keep it for sentimental reasons (mine is the rare black version bought in Japan). I still use it with the K-01 and perhaps one day Pentax will release a mirrorless FF ...

Here are some shots taken with the SEL55F18Z - it has an amazing creamy bokeh in addition to the incredible sharpness.

01-16-2014, 02:37 PM   #356
Veteran Member

Original Poster
More Sonnar 55mm photos

01-17-2014, 04:57 AM   #357
Veteran Member

BTW, I sold my A7 and couldn't be happier, I really dislike it, but this is not what I wanted to show LOL
So, it turned out its IR filter is the reason of heavy smearing with RF WA glass. With filter removed lenses become sharp, even problematic VL 12/5.6, just take a look: genotypewritings: Sony A7R Full Spectrum Conversion
01-17-2014, 11:41 AM   #358
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Emacs Quote
So, it turned out its IR filter is the reason of heavy smearing with RF WA glass. With filter removed lenses become sharp, even problematic VL 12/5.6, just take a look:
I read the article, and didn't get that interpretation. The author states several times that there is smearing and colour casting even with the IR filter removed, and didn't mention sharpness improving.

There is a theory that the smearing can be caused by the adapter. To be honest, I tried three different M to E adapters (the original Voigtlander, the new close focusing Voigtlander, and Novoflex) and I don't really notice any differences across all three.

I think resolution of the A7r coupled with the short registration distance means lens/camera mismatch is a real issue - some lenses will naturally work better - for example the Heliar 28mm delivers better results than the Summicron 28mm.

Here are some examples of the Sony Fish Eye Adapter coupled to the SEL35F28Z - these look pretty sharp end to end

01-17-2014, 11:58 AM   #359

Photos: Albums
Hello Christine, very good pics, I have to admit I bought the A7 camera thanks to your tons of comments and examples of lenses on the camera !
Iwas just wondering if the UWA adapter of Sony for the 16mm (not the fisheye one) would do on it...?

Thanks again,
Emmanuel
01-17-2014, 04:21 PM   #360
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jably Quote
Hello Christine, very good pics, I have to admit I bought the A7 camera thanks to your tons of comments and examples of lenses on the camera !
Iwas just wondering if the UWA adapter of Sony for the 16mm (not the fisheye one) would do on it...?
The UWA is okay, but to be honest nothing special. I think the Heliar 28mm produces sharper pictures.

Here is an example:

Edit: not sure the above is taken with the UWA. But this one definitely is: