Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 490 Likes Search this Thread
01-18-2014, 07:41 AM   #361

The "Could Forest" is an airconditioned display of temperate plants at Singapore's Gardens by the Bay. Here are some pictures with the A7r and FE35

01-18-2014, 08:06 AM   #362

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
The UWA is okay, but to be honest nothing special. I think the Heliar 28mm produces sharper pictures.

Here is an example:

Edit: not sure the above is taken with the UWA. But this one definitely is:
Thanks a lot (again!)
Nice one indeed, and pretty sharp for an "accessory" , what do you think ?

I bought the Pentax A 20mm 2.8 and seems good to me for a WA lens.
01-18-2014, 01:23 PM   #363
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jably Quote
Thanks a lot (again!)
Nice one indeed, and pretty sharp for an "accessory" , what do you think ?

I bought the Pentax A 20mm 2.8 and seems good to me for a WA lens.
You are right - the FEA, UWA, FE35 and FE55 makes a good set of "native" lenses for those that don't like using adapters.

A20? I'm jealous!

Here are some more photos taken with the FEA:

01-18-2014, 01:26 PM   #364
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tsammyc Quote
The "Could Forest" is an airconditioned display of temperate plants at Singapore's Gardens by the Bay. Here are some pictures with the A7r and FE35
Thanks for the photos. I didn't go in when I was in Singapore because the queue was so long, so it's good to get a chance to see what is inside.

01-19-2014, 06:49 AM   #365

Thanks for the photos. I didn't go in when I was in Singapore because the queue was so long, so it's good to get a chance to see what is inside.
The "new broom" effect seems to have worn off and it was pretty empty yesterday, which was a weekend day. Here are some more with the A7r, 35FE

01-19-2014, 01:22 PM   #366
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The "new broom" effect seems to have worn off and it was pretty empty yesterday, which was a weekend day. Here are some more with the A7r, 35FE
Thanks again!

Are you able to do me a huge favour and take some photos of the Gardens by the Bay at night? I wanted to do that when I was there, but I was so tired I fell asleep and just could not wake up. Such a pity because we were staying in a hotel just across the river from the Gardens, so it would have taken next to no time to get there for a few shots.

By the way, this is a shot I quite like from Auburn Botanic Gardens:
01-19-2014, 10:18 PM   #367

Thanks again!

Are you able to do me a huge favour and take some photos of the Gardens by the Bay at night? I wanted to do that when I was there, but I was so tired I fell asleep and just could not wake up. Such a pity because we were staying in a hotel just across the river from the Gardens, so it would have taken next to no time to get there for a few shots.
Here are some shots I took with a NEX-6 & Zeiss 35/2 Biogon some time back that I uploaded to flickr. I'll dig through the SD card for some older shots. Did you want anything specific? like the Super Trees?

01-19-2014, 11:42 PM   #368
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Here are some shots I took with a NEX-6 & Zeiss 35/2 Biogon some time back that I uploaded to flickr. I'll dig through the SD card for some older shots. Did you want anything specific? like the Super Trees?
Yes please. I am also interested in some shots on the A7.

Will be interesting to see how wide you can go and how many trees you can fit in. These are my attempts with the FEA:

01-20-2014, 04:36 AM   #369

Wow, those tree structures are amazing.

I've been making a point to try out the Alpa 50mm/1.8 in various situations to see how well it will suit my needs in the long run, and how this will effect my upcoming lens purchases. I'm very impressed by this lens and it seems to be living up to its reputation. It handles flare very well for a lens with no coatings. It looses some colour saturation with bright light sources, but not too bad.

Its bokeh is buttery smooth too. The main downside is the HUGE focus throw. Amazing for fine adjustments, but for anything moving it is very hard to use.

With regards to the A7. I'm finding the noise to be interesting. It seems to come on fairly early (lowish ISO), but it then stays at a very acceptable level to 3200 and beyond. I just have to get used to how far I can push it still.

01-20-2014, 01:37 PM   #370
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by camerons Quote
I've been making a point to try out the Alpa 50mm/1.8 in various situations to see how well it will suit my needs in the long run, and how this will effect my upcoming lens purchases. I'm very impressed by this lens and it seems to be living up to its reputation. It handles flare very well for a lens with no coatings. It looses some colour saturation with bright light sources, but not too bad.
Love that second photo (Look into the Light).

A suggestion for you when you are trying out the Alpa 50mm.

Because the 50mm focal length is so close to the natural field of vision of the human eye, try and look for situations which the eye naturally draws to. You should be able to go on a walk, carry the camera and the lens with you. Whenever you see a scene that grabs your fancy, you will find that it naturally composes well on the camera. The viewer of the photo should connect to the scene as if they were there in the same position as you were.

Examples from a recent photowalk on the FE55

Last edited by Christine Tham; 01-20-2014 at 01:45 PM.
01-22-2014, 01:10 PM   #371
Veteran Member

Original Poster
FE 35mm:

vs Heliar 28mm:
01-23-2014, 01:22 PM   #372
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Nan Tien Temple

01-23-2014, 03:41 PM   #373
HSV
Veteran Member

Hey Christine...those last 4 shots were beautiful!

Are those with the 35 or 55?
01-24-2014, 12:52 AM   #374
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by HSV Quote
Hey Christine...those last 4 shots were beautiful!

Are those with the 35 or 55?
Thanks very much. All the shots were taken on the FE55 apart from the 2nd (Buddha sitting in island in the middle of a lotus pond) - that was taken on a Summicron 90 and then aggressively cropped - I was quite far from the figure.
01-24-2014, 11:29 AM   #375
Veteran Member

Original Poster
More shots from Nan Tien, of various statues of Kuan Yin. I noticed she is sometimes depicted in male manifestations, which is interesting to say the least.

A bit of self portrait hidden in this one: