Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 490 Likes Search this Thread
02-03-2014, 04:59 PM - 2 Likes   #391
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by camerons Quote
The FE55 really brings out the textures in the rocks in the sculptures. Some great processing Christine. I'm agonising a bit on what purchases (or purchase) to make at the moment. I'd love to get the 55, but I think the 24-70 will be much more useful to me. But then I wonder if the kit will do me for those situations where I want/need a zoom... Argh.

Anyway, this is the pictures thread. Here are some pictures.
I love the pictures you have taken with the kit zoom. I don't like zooms, so normally I would recommend the 55 but the shots you have taken show that a zoom can be very useful on a bushwalk or a climb.

But just to make the decision harder for you, here is an image taken on the FE55 with continuous AF. Sony has really improved the continuous AF mode on the A7r - it does real time object recognition and tracking using CDAF - it draws a rectangle around the object it is tracking in real time and it can actually vary the size of the rectangle as the object moves around:

02-04-2014, 04:47 PM   #392

QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
I love the pictures you have taken with the kit zoom. I don't like zooms, so normally I would recommend the 55 but the shots you have taken show that a zoom can be very useful on a bushwalk or a climb.

But just to make the decision harder for you, here is an image taken on the FE55 with continuous AF. Sony has really improved the continuous AF mode on the A7r - it does real time object recognition and tracking using CDAF - it draws a rectangle around the object it is tracking in real time and it can actually vary the size of the rectangle as the object moves around:
Thanks. Yes, I definitely need an AF zoom for climbing and I often don't have time to change lenses while on the move bushwalking either. So really I've got to decide which one to get. The options I can think of so far:
- Just keep the kit lens. It is ok, but I feel there is something special missing from its shots. But then, I've got/will have good primes for those special more planned shots too.
- Get the FE24-70. Expensive. And would pretty much blow my camera budget for a fair while to come. But, the saying "do it once, do it right" comes to mind.
- Get an LA-EA4 + Tamron 28-75. Bang for your buck option and pretty compact and light for f2.8. I was very happy with my 17-50 on pentax.
- Other??? Canon 24-70 f4L + metabones AF adapter? Gets heavier and probably end up the same sort of price as the FE option. Plus AF isn't that great. Something manual like the C/Y 35-70 gets great reviews and I think a manual zoom would be ok for walking, but not for climbing. And it doesn't go as wide. But then I could keep the kit just for climbing... and so my thought process goes round in circles.

With regards to the AF-C. Yes, that's what I was using to get those climbing shots. Keeper ratio was pretty good. I'd say around 75 - 80%. However, it was hard too because I had the rope coming up from the climber moving around as well. I had face recognition turned on too, but I'm not sure how much it was doing since the climber often wasn't actually looking up. It would sometimes get a bit lost, but if I just refocused it would usually find the person again and then stay on them.
02-05-2014, 03:09 AM - 1 Like   #393
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks. Yes, I definitely need an AF zoom for climbing and I often don't have time to change lenses while on the move bushwalking either. So really I've got to decide which one to get. The options I can think of so far:
- Just keep the kit lens. It is ok, but I feel there is something special missing from its shots. But then, I've got/will have good primes for those special more planned shots too.
- Get the FE24-70. Expensive. And would pretty much blow my camera budget for a fair while to come. But, the saying "do it once, do it right" comes to mind.
- Get an LA-EA4 + Tamron 28-75. Bang for your buck option and pretty compact and light for f2.8. I was very happy with my 17-50 on pentax.
- Other??? Canon 24-70 f4L + metabones AF adapter? Gets heavier and probably end up the same sort of price as the FE option. Plus AF isn't that great. Something manual like the C/Y 35-70 gets great reviews and I think a manual zoom would be ok for walking, but not for climbing. And it doesn't go as wide. But then I could keep the kit just for climbing... and so my thought process goes round in circles.
My inclination from the above options is to go for the FE24-70. I know, it's expensive, but it's a native lens, hence fast focus (important criteria for your shots), probably outstanding quality, and as you say "do it once, do it right."

Some shots from Sydney Olympic Park:

02-05-2014, 04:28 AM   #394

My inclination from the above options is to go for the FE24-70. I know, it's expensive, but it's a native lens, hence fast focus (important criteria for your shots), probably outstanding quality, and as you say "do it once, do it right."

Some shots from Sydney Olympic Park:

Thanks for the thoughts.

Love those B&W shots of the fountains.

02-06-2014, 12:17 PM   #395
Veteran Member

Original Poster

02-06-2014, 09:16 PM   #396
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
some great motives you have there,but if these are all with the A7R,I really don't see much improvement over the K5II or K3 ,was expecting a bit more wow factor & more resolution
02-07-2014, 12:14 AM   #397

Just received a K28/3.5. Have been keeping an eye out for one of these for a while. From 15 minutes usage in the back yard I'm pretty impressed.

I've also ordered a Tamron 28-75. I'll try it with a manual adapter and if I don't like it the shop takes change of mind returns.

02-07-2014, 11:15 AM   #398
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I've also ordered a Tamron 28-75. I'll try it with a manual adapter and if I don't like it the shop takes change of mind returns.
Interesting. What were your thoughts on choosing the Tamron? I must admit the 2.8 would be tempting.

The Rubber Duck returns:

02-07-2014, 11:07 PM   #399

Interesting. What were your thoughts on choosing the Tamron? I must admit the 2.8 would be tempting.

The Rubber Duck returns:

Cost vs image quality really. The reviews on the FE2470 are pretty hit and miss at this stage and I want one of these zooms sooner rather than later. Plus I can try out the Tamron without too much risk using a manual adapter first. f2.8 is a bonus and what I see as the benefit I get for the extra 200g weight.

---------- Post added 02-08-14 at 04:39 PM ----------

This thread is getting a bit lonely.

The k28 is super sharp. Beautiful handling. I think I love it already.

Couple of shots from today:

Last edited by camerons; 02-07-2014 at 11:54 PM.
02-08-2014, 10:59 AM   #400
Veteran Member

Original Poster

The k28 is super sharp. Beautiful handling. I think I love it already.
I agree, looks very nice and sharp.

Let me know how you go with the Tamron.

Bubbles:

02-08-2014, 06:12 PM   #401
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thought i would join in with the FF fun and bought myself the a7 plus the CZ 35mm F2.8 ,
the weather has been pretty bad here in the UK , so haven't had a lot of shooting opportunity

I have had a chance to use it in the studio and must say it performed very well !

just waiting for the chance to try out some legacy glass! .....will be posting photos soon

Mal
02-08-2014, 08:47 PM   #402

QuoteOriginally posted by Malfunction Quote
Thought i would join in with the FF fun and bought myself the a7 plus the CZ 35mm F2.8 ,
the weather has been pretty bad here in the UK , so haven't had a lot of shooting opportunity

I have had a chance to use it in the studio and must say it performed very well !

just waiting for the chance to try out some legacy glass! .....will be posting photos soon

Mal
Sweet. Can't wait to see your results.
02-09-2014, 11:25 AM   #403
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Eveleigh Carriageworks

02-10-2014, 02:03 PM   #404
Veteran Member

Original Poster
St. Mary's Cathedral, viewed through Stonehenge:
02-10-2014, 02:47 PM   #405
HSV
Veteran Member

OMG Christine, how did you achieve that look of the Stonehenge?

It's very, very cool pic.