Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 490 Likes Search this Thread
06-16-2014, 05:31 AM   #631
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by elpolodiablo Quote
Are you going to the Jesse Willesee show Thursday? I will bring my 1.2 with me.
Sorry - I have evening classes all this week. I am planning to attend a Sony dinner tomorrow night - but only because I am hoping Sony will let me play with an A7s.

If you do go to Cam Boy/Cam Girl, do share your photos - would love to see what it is all about.

06-16-2014, 07:43 AM   #632
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by scratchpaddy Quote
Thanks pinholecam & Christine! I'm looking forward to taking more pictures with this little camera.

I wouldn't judge the quality of any lens based on pinholecam's photos. He makes everything look incredible.

I got up a 4:30 today to take a ride around downtown Tempe and ASU, a school I never went to. I didn't move to Arizona until I was finished with college. This early in the morning, on a Saturday, it was entirely empty.

I was using the Sigma Super Wide II. On APS-C, it was a cheap normal-ish lens that I never really warmed to. On this camera, it actually lives up to its name. I like it much better now. It's reasonably fast and very small for a 24mm SLR lens.
I like the first shot.
The bicycle and the flare and lighting.

You cycle?
Nice looking bike.

---------- Post added 06-16-2014 at 10:50 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
Interesting. I've always felt my A50 was a bit soft wide open, and the FA50 had a rather busy bokeh which I didn't like. Maybe I need to take my A50 out and give it another chance.
All the 50's, whatever brand will have a weakness in bokeh depending on the background type and subject/bkgnd distance.
I tend to dislike how most 50's render oof foilage past half body shots. (for me the biotar type swirly bokeh may be the ones which get away with it, but they have other problems)
Even so claimed 'bokeh monsters' like the Rokkor 58/1.2 don't do well in quite a few situations imo.

I am using the A7, which I thinik is less harsh on lenses.
A7r, maybe 100% pixel peeping for such legacy lenses wide open may not be up to the resolution.
06-16-2014, 03:55 PM - 1 Like   #633
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Off on a day trip tomorrow , not been out for more than a hour for a
couple of weeks , so lets hope we have good weather

Elisabeth
FE 35mm F2.8 ZA

Another using
SMC Pentax-A 70-210mm F4
06-16-2014, 04:42 PM   #634
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Malfunction Quote
Off on a day trip tomorrow , not been out for more than a hour for a
couple of weeks , so lets hope we have good weather

Elisabeth
FE 35mm F2.8 ZA
Lovely portraits as usual Mal.

06-16-2014, 04:43 PM   #635
Pentaxian

Elisabeth
FE 35mm F2.8 ZA
Very nice! Is that in a studio?

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
I like the first shot.
The bicycle and the flare and lighting.

You cycle?
Nice looking bike.
Thank you! Yes, it's my bike. I ride it every day to work. I actually think it's kind of ugly, but I think that about anything that's painted white. I like everything else about the bike, so I must forgive its color. It's only six months younger than I am.

Here's another from the same outing, with a Zeiss Sonnar 135 f/3.5, pre-MC, from the late 1960's. It was one of my favorite lenses on APS-C, and I have no reason to like it less on the bigger sensor.

06-16-2014, 05:29 PM   #636
Veteran Member

Original Poster

Thank you! Yes, it's my bike. I ride it every day to work. I actually think it's kind of ugly, but I think that about anything that's painted white. I like everything else about the bike, so I must forgive its color. It's only six months younger than I am.
Love your bike, with the matching handlebar tape colour and saddle. Very hipster.

I haven't commuted for several months now, ever since I stopped working, so my commuter bike is feeling very lonely. I built it in 2011 from parts purchased from various sites, including torpedo, wiggle, chain reaction. I finished it on the day Cadel won the Tour de France, so it is appropriately named "Cadel."
06-16-2014, 10:28 PM   #637
Pentaxian

I don't know about those Aussie hipsters, but around here, they wouldn't tolerate such mainstream features as multiple gears, a freewheel, or brakes. It's fixie or bust for them!

I can't make any claim of building the bike myself. The only personal touches I put on it myself are the green handlebar tape and saddle, so thank you for noticing those in particular. It was built for Schwinn by Panasonic in Japan in 1991, while the former company was going bankrupt. The Schwinn of today is more or less a zombie brand of Pacific Cycle, available at Walmarts everywhere. RIP Schwinn.

It's my car that's getting lonely now. I've been to the gas station twice this year.

Super-Takumar 50mm f/1.4 @ f/2.5

06-16-2014, 10:58 PM   #638
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I don't know about those Aussie hipsters, but around here, they wouldn't tolerate such mainstream features as multiple gears, a freewheel, or brakes. It's fixie or bust for them!

I can't make any claim of building the bike myself. The only personal touches I put on it myself are the green handlebar tape and saddle, so thank you for noticing those in particular. It was built for Schwinn by Panasonic in Japan in 1991, while the former company was going bankrupt. The Schwinn of today is more or less a zombie brand of Pacific Cycle, available at Walmarts everywhere. RIP Schwinn.
Well, I still think it's a beautiful bike. Thanks for posting another photo of it.

Sydney is quite hilly, so a fixie won't get you very far. Melbourne has a strong fixie culture because it's mostly flat.
06-16-2014, 11:27 PM   #639
Pentaxian

Here's another from the same outing, with a Zeiss Sonnar 135 f/3.5, pre-MC, from the late 1960's. It was one of my favorite lenses on APS-C, and I have no reason to like it less on the bigger sensor.
Oh.. I did not realize you are that young.

I juggle between running from work and cycling so only do it twice a week.
Not the nicest place to cycle here during work commute hours anyway with the cars and pollution.
Sometimes I wonder if I am doing more harm than good sucking in all this bad air.
Using a mini-velo for its hassle free handling and I'm too lazy/tied up to maintain it.
Sat is the hard ride with the usual gang and thats on a tri or road bike.

I saw the down tube shifters and thought your bike was not configured as a fixie.
Steel bikes sure look nice.

On the lenses, I do think FF makes it easier to use the 85 and 135mm focal length lenses as the working distance is nearer.
06-17-2014, 08:06 AM - 3 Likes   #640
Pentaxian

A7+Pentax K24/2.8
06-17-2014, 04:37 PM   #641
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
Well, I still think it's a beautiful bike. Thanks for posting another photo of it.

Sydney is quite hilly, so a fixie won't get you very far. Melbourne has a strong fixie culture because it's mostly flat.
Glad you like it. Fixie culture is strong, here, too, but it's not something I'm interested in. I like my gears and brakes, even if I never see a hill. There's a company called State Bicycle Co. that makes nothing but fixies, and they build them all right here in Tempe. I have one of their shirts, and you don't have to look hard to find someone riding one of their bikes around here.

Oh.. I did not realize you are that young.

I juggle between running from work and cycling so only do it twice a week.
Not the nicest place to cycle here during work commute hours anyway with the cars and pollution.
Sometimes I wonder if I am doing more harm than good sucking in all this bad air.
Using a mini-velo for its hassle free handling and I'm too lazy/tied up to maintain it.
Sat is the hard ride with the usual gang and thats on a tri or road bike.

I saw the down tube shifters and thought your bike was not configured as a fixie.
Steel bikes sure look nice.

On the lenses, I do think FF makes it easier to use the 85 and 135mm focal length lenses as the working distance is nearer.
Well, I am not as young as the fisher kid, at least.

You were right the first time, my bike isn't fixed-gear. I was just trying to explain the differences between myself and a hipster.

Biking on your island does look like it would be difficult. Show us a picture of your bike, though. I want to see those little wheels. Gorgeous shot of the shoreline, by the way. I really ought to get out and try some long exposures with this camera.

One more, with the Zeiss. I really don't take enough pictures of ducks. This was the first Muscovy duck I've seen since leaving Georgia.

06-18-2014, 08:56 AM - 1 Like   #642
Pentaxian

What do you do at the perfect sunrise location with everything setup, when a wedding couple approaches you for permission to use that same spot for their wedding photo?

Get angry?
Get in the way?

Its a once in a lifetime thing.
So I let then use the spot.
Also thought that they would actually add something to the pict

'Stole' the flash off the couple's photographer by dragging the shutter.

With the A7+Pentax K24/2.8
06-18-2014, 06:18 PM   #643
Pentaxian

Well played, and doubly so!
06-19-2014, 03:09 PM - 2 Likes   #644
Inactive Account

Lovely portraits as usual Mal.
Thank you very much

Thanks , yes it was taking in the studio

---------- Post added 06-19-14 at 03:23 PM ----------

A few from Mondays little day out at Beamish Museum , i could have chose
a better day to go , it was warm but overcast , but i bought a 12 month pass so im bound
to choose a better day to go , it was worth the trip just for the fish "n" chips anyhoo

Last edited by Malfunction; 06-19-2014 at 03:27 PM.
06-19-2014, 04:35 PM   #645
Veteran Member

Original Poster
T
[/COLOR]A few from Mondays little day out at Beamish Museum , i could have chose
a better day to go , it was warm but overcast , but i bought a 12 month pass so im bound
to choose a better day to go , it was worth the trip just for the fish "n" chips anyhoo
Looked like you used a time machine and went back in time to take those photos! They look like something out of a period drama!