Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 490 Likes Search this Thread
06-19-2014, 04:39 PM   #646
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
Looked like you used a time machine and went back in time to take those photos! They look like something out of a period drama!
I agree! That second one is my favorite. The lighting is excellent, and the subdued colors and vignetting keep that old-timey feel without looking heavy-handed.

06-20-2014, 07:05 AM - 2 Likes   #647
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Malfunction Quote

[/COLOR]A few from Mondays little day out at Beamish Museum , i could have chose
a better day to go , it was warm but overcast , but i bought a 12 month pass so im bound
to choose a better day to go , it was worth the trip just for the fish "n" chips anyhoo

It looks like an interesting place.

---------- Post added 06-20-2014 at 10:13 PM ----------

A7+CV12
06-20-2014, 09:00 AM   #648

ILCE-7r + FA*85/1.4 (nsfw)
06-20-2014, 12:10 PM - 1 Like   #649
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looked like you used a time machine and went back in time to take those photos! They look like something out of a period drama!
Thanks Christine , its a place called Beamish Museum , its a village in North Eat England set in 1913 Britain ,
all the workers there wear period clothes , quite a big place and far too much to take in on one day

same place (Beamish )
Stephenson's, Locomotion NO1

---------- Post added 06-20-14 at 12:11 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by scratchpaddy Quote
I agree! That second one is my favorite. The lighting is excellent, and the subdued colors and vignetting keep that old-timey feel without looking heavy-handed.
Thank you very much

06-21-2014, 12:14 AM   #650
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I love taking pictures of my A7 mounted with different lenses.

DSC02958 by
hin_man, on Flickr

All pictures were shot wide open with Takumar 35mm f/2.0, Takumar 85mm f/1.9 and last two picture were shot with Contax G 45mm f/2.0 with my NEX 5N. I try to sell my Contax gear to save up fund for buying FE 55mm f/1.8. I have a hard time selling Contax as PF marketplace is perhaps the wrong place to sell. I managed to sell the Contax G 90mm f/2.8 and now I missed it as a pair with the 45mm f/2.0. All adapters for the Contax G are a disappointment to me as the TechArt AF adapter is painfully slow in AF and manual focusing with TechArt is awkward to say the least. And the Metabones adapter which is much liked by others is not my type of adapter as it is bulky and big competing for space with my right hand fingers around the hand grip area. The worst is that I start loving the Contax G for its picture quality, beautiful build and compactness, but it is a chore to take pictures because of the disappointing adapters. Life sucks when you are torn between love and hate on the same object -- the beautiful Contax lens with the ill equipped adapter.

Cheers,
Hin

Last edited by hinman; 06-21-2014 at 07:12 AM.
06-21-2014, 06:33 AM   #651
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
I love taking pictures of my A7 mounted with different lenses.

All pictures were shot wide open with Takumar 35mm f/2.0, Takumar 85mm f/1.9 and Contax G 45mm f/2.0 with my NEX 5N. I try to sell my Contax gear to save up fund for buying FE 55mm f/1.8. I have a hard time selling Contax as PF marketplace is perhaps the wrong place to sell. I managed to sell the Contax G 90mm f/2.8 and I now I missed it as a pair with the 45mm f/2.0. All adapters for the Contax G are a disappointment to me as the TechArt AF adapter is painfully slow in AF and manual focusing with TechArt is awkward to say the least. And the Metabones adapter which is much liked by others is not my type of adapter as it is bulky and big competing for space with my right hand fingers around the hand grip area. The worst is that I start loving the Contax G for its picture quality, beautiful build and compactness, but it is a chore to take pictures because of the disappointing adapters. Life sucks when you are torn between love and hate on the same object -- the beautiful Contax lens with the ill equipped adapter.

Cheers,
Hin

I think selling off the G lenses is a right choice.
You are basically stuck with 2 usable lenses on that system on the A7 anyway.(45 and 90mm)
The wider lenses have issues due to the short flange distance and sensor stack.
Add to that a slow AF adapter and not as nice MF.
Expensive adapter too.
There are certainly as good and better lenses out there like the leica elmarits, nikkor PC 105/2.5 (ltm), even a good ltm J9.
The largest advantage of the Contax G is their low price for Zeiss lenses.

So don't agonize too much.
I think its the right decision.
06-22-2014, 06:44 AM - 2 Likes   #652
Pentaxian

Pentax A50/1.4

06-22-2014, 01:57 PM   #653
Veteran Member

Hey guys. Been reading up on this thread and thinking of taking the plunge.since i couldnt find a dedicated thread i will ask here:i am contemplating of getting the a7r+55 fe combo but i am at a loss of a quality wide angle. Most of my shooting is done with the da15 which i love to bits.any suggestions are much appriciated.
Thank you.
06-22-2014, 03:49 PM   #654
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by racingsnake Quote
Hey guys. Been reading up on this thread and thinking of taking the plunge.since i couldnt find a dedicated thread i will ask here:i am contemplating of getting the a7r+55 fe combo but i am at a loss of a quality wide angle. Most of my shooting is done with the da15 which i love to bits.any suggestions are much appriciated.
Thank you.
Personally, I am going to buy the Carl Zeiss FE 16-35mm when it ships later this year.

The current wide angle lenses I am using with the A7r are: Voigtlander 15/4.5, Pentax FA* 24/2, Zeiss Biogon 25/2.8, and Voigtlander Ultron 28/2.

The Voigtlander 15mm is a "toy" lens on digital cameras (it was originally designed for film only) - produces some really interesting effects, but not general purpose due to severe colour casting and smearing at the corners.

I quite like the others. Minor colour casting issues on all, but not objectionable and in many cases will be unnoticeable. All are slightly soft at the corners wide open, but will be sharp stopped down. The Biogon is probably the most expensive of the three and the most problematic (due to the lens design) so I would be inclined to go the other two as a first purchase.

Let me know if you want me to post some samples from each lens.

I am currently in the middle of transitioning from Picasa to Flickr for my photos - once I have moved to Flickr you should be able to search my photos by lens.

Last edited by Christine Tham; 06-23-2014 at 03:20 AM.
06-22-2014, 07:04 PM   #655
Pentaxian

i am at a loss of a quality wide angle. Most of my shooting is done with the da15 which i love to bits.any suggestions are much appriciated.
Thank you.
I've got the same question myself. I'm eyeing a 24mm Voigtländer, but the Sigma Super Wide II I already had has been doing a pretty good job in the meantime. It's very wide at 16mm equivalent, it's very small, cheap, and able to focus extremely close. It's not that flare resistant, and I've never heard reports of pixie dust like with the DA15, but it's a darn good lens for the price.

This was at f/5.6.

There was both a manual and an autofocus version, and it was made in many mounts, including Minolta. Coupled with Sony's own α-mount AF adapter, you could have yourself an autofocusing 24mm right now.
06-22-2014, 08:10 PM   #656
Veteran Member

Personally, I am going to buy the Carl Zeiss FE 16-35mm when it ships later this year.

The current wide angle lenses I am using with the A7r are: Voigtlander 15/4.5, Pentax FA* 24/2, Zeiss Biogon 28/2.8, and Voigtlander Ultron 28/2.

The Voigtlander 15mm is a "toy" lens on digital cameras (it was originally designed for film only) - produces some really interesting effects, but not general purpose due to severe colour casting and smearing at the corners.

I quite like the others. Minor colour casting issues on all, but not objectionable and in many cases will be unnoticeable. All are slightly soft at the corners wide open, but will be sharp stopped down. The Biogon is probably the most expensive of the three and the most problematic (due to the lens design) so I would be inclined to go the other two as a first purchase.

Let me know if you want me to post some samples from each lens.

I am currently in the middle of transitioning from Picasa to Flickr for my photos - once I have moved to Flickr you should be able to search my photos by lens.
yeah some samples would be great.specially the voigtlander 28 if you may.
06-23-2014, 02:06 AM - 1 Like   #657
Pentaxian

I suggest going to a large user base forum like FM to get more info on the lenses and also to do some web search.
A forum like FM will have enough very experienced shooters who shoot a full gamut of genres and lenses.
With that, they are able to flag out any issues with camera/lens.

From personal experience (own lenses or tried friend's lenses) and from internet info.
RF lenses -
Most wides under 35mm have issues. Only ones which have less or none are (CV12; CV21/1.8; WATE)
All Biogon design 35mm have issues
Even the mighty Lux 50 has been reported to have issues.
I've used the Cron 50 DR and Elmar 50 w/o issues

SLR lenses work ok.
But legacy lenses usually don't do that well past 20mm.
So in a way, 20mm is the widest with all round quality for this route.

There is no native UWA yet for the A7/r/s.
Everyone is waiting.
My advice, don't buy this camera with the expectation that lenses will come.
It may, it may not, it can be pricey, it can be under expectations.
I know lots of guys, who bought into the initial hype.
Got the camera expecting lenses to come before their important trips.
Most of them were not MF guys, they needed AF lenses.
Time passed, no wide, one controversial 24-70/4 and many sold off the camera.
Buy it with the expectation that you have 'enough' lenses from all sources/brands that can carry you through should Sony fail to come up with more lenses or that they don't meet expectations.
My few cents.

The Samyang 14/2.8 is one of the top options right now.
Cheap, no issues, good quality o/p.
Its also not small and not everyone wants a Samyang... so...

The Sony E mount 10-18mm is well documented to work from 12-16mm.
Thats not too bad as 12mm is already very wide, and it comes with AF.
Needs a baffle removal and sort of a 1/2 use of the lens to some.
So not to everyone's taste.

Otherwise, look to Canikon 14-24; 16-35 type options.
Though these are big, expensive and heavy.
06-23-2014, 03:04 AM   #658
Veteran Member

Original Poster
yeah some samples would be great.specially the voigtlander 28 if you may.
Sure, here you go

Ultron 28/2 f2 to show sharpness (this is slightly cropped about 90% - the extreme corners do get rather soft)

f5.6 uncropped at ISO6400 - converted to Black and White:

f8 - you can see slight colour cast on the left/right edges of photo (this can be corrected in software, or even in camera using an app):

---------- Post added 06-23-2014 at 08:08 PM ----------

Zeiss Biogon 25/2.8

f2.8

Another f2.8, to show example of bokeh:

f8 - again, slight colour casting on the edges:

---------- Post added 06-23-2014 at 08:12 PM ----------

Pentax smc FA*24 f2 (you can clearly see the softness in the corners):

f8:

Last edited by Christine Tham; 06-23-2014 at 03:14 AM.
06-23-2014, 10:43 AM   #659
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
I suggest going to a large user base forum like FM to get more info on the lenses and also to do some web search.
A forum like FM will have enough very experienced shooters who shoot a full gamut of genres and lenses.
With that, they are able to flag out any issues with camera/lens.

From personal experience (own lenses or tried friend's lenses) and from internet info.
RF lenses -
Most wides under 35mm have issues. Only ones which have less or none are (CV12; CV21/1.8; WATE)
All Biogon design 35mm have issues
Even the mighty Lux 50 has been reported to have issues.
I've used the Cron 50 DR and Elmar 50 w/o issues

SLR lenses work ok.
But legacy lenses usually don't do that well past 20mm.
So in a way, 20mm is the widest with all round quality for this route.

There is no native UWA yet for the A7/r/s.
Everyone is waiting.
My advice, don't buy this camera with the expectation that lenses will come.
It may, it may not, it can be pricey, it can be under expectations.
I know lots of guys, who bought into the initial hype.
Got the camera expecting lenses to come before their important trips.
Most of them were not MF guys, they needed AF lenses.
Time passed, no wide, one controversial 24-70/4 and many sold off the camera.
Buy it with the expectation that you have 'enough' lenses from all sources/brands that can carry you through should Sony fail to come up with more lenses or that they don't meet expectations.
My few cents.

The Samyang 14/2.8 is one of the top options right now.
Cheap, no issues, good quality o/p.
Its also not small and not everyone wants a Samyang... so...

The Sony E mount 10-18mm is well documented to work from 12-16mm.
Thats not too bad as 12mm is already very wide, and it comes with AF.
Needs a baffle removal and sort of a 1/2 use of the lens to some.
So not to everyone's taste.

Otherwise, look to Canikon 14-24; 16-35 type options.
Though these are big, expensive and heavy.
thanks for the samples!!!
i am definitely not buying into the system for the future of it.my most two used lenses on asp-c are fa43 and da15 so i recon fe55 1.8 and a wide angle lens would be perfect for me. having never shot ff i am not quite sure how wide 35 mm is on ff, so it might even be that fe35 2.8 would do just fine for me. most of my shooting are landscapes/cityscapes (love the churches).
06-23-2014, 11:29 AM   #660
osv
Veteran Member

the fe35 is super sharp, but it has vignetting issues... the tradeoff for being small, i suspect.

if you don't need autofocus, most 28mm slr lenses work well on the a7r.

it's when you go wider than 28mm that you start running into field curvature issues... that's got nothing to do with the camera, it's just poor lens design... probably didn't matter so much back in the film days.

24mm slr lens shootout on the Sony a7R

you can see the issues there, also check out the 28mm lens shots... i came from a k10d, i had no idea that wide angle glass on a full-frame sensor was going to be such a hassle.