Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 490 Likes Search this Thread
11-30-2015, 12:46 PM   #1066
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by itshimitis Quote
Thanks

One lens is a tough one. If it was to be one lens only that would be a zoom, and it's a pity there isn't a fantastic 24 - 70 yet as that is a great walk around lens. I use the Tamron with an adaptor. I haven't really had the opportunity to give the Batis 25 a proper run out yet. Am heading up to the Lake District soon so it will get some use up there, but the weather is forecast to be pretty mean. If you don't mind the fact that it's manual focus, the Loxia 35 f/2 is a beautiful lens. It is well engineered and the markings are engraved, not painted. Have it on f/11 and infinity and on a normal landscape shot, everything will be acceptably sharp. I have used it for panos, most of which due to time constraints have been handheld. It is sharp, not over heavy, easy to use, weather-sealed, and its colours and contrast are good. It is fairly compact also.

The biggest issue for me with the FE lenses is the focus by wire. It's very difficult to get precise manual focus, and that is something that is important for stitching panoramas, as you should aim to be in manual focus for this. This is where the Batis comes into its own. I like the ability to focus with precision and miss not having a distance scale of some sort on the lens. The Loxia 35 and the Tamron also have distance scales. This is how I have taken photos through dirty or wet windows on planes, coaches and boats.

The lens that spends most of its time on my A7RII? The Loxia. I can happily just grab the camera with that on it and know that I will get some shots.

If you have a system in place for the Pentax, I'd be tempted to find out the full specs, though the Sony does have a smaller size. The Sony is a great camera, pretty easy to use, though I do prefer the usability of the menus in my 645Z, the menus are a bit fiddly in the Sony, though I don't really go into them that much.
Thanks a bunch for your input and info! I've read quite a bit about the Loxia 35 f/2, but kind of wrote it off for two reasons. Manual focus only and I'm not a huge fan of shooting the 35mm focal length. With that being said I can adapt to anything for the right combination. I've loved the idea of the RX1r since it came out and was really excited about the mark ii, but as I mentioned, the samples/posts thus far have been very underwhelming which brings me back to the A7r ii. I did see that there is supposed to be a 18mm Batis coming early next year.

The other lens I have been researching and looking into extensively is the Voigtländer 15mm f/4.5 heliar iii. There's a thread on another site that features Ultra-wide Images and nearly every image shot with the A7r ii + 15mm iii Heliar is spectacular and eye catching. I enjoy shooting stitched pano's, but the 15mm may eliminate the need and it is time consuming.

As far as Pentax...I love my K-5 and DA 15mm. That camera and lens combination has served me well. I have been very close to buying the 645z and even several used 645d's. Two things have held me back. The weight of the system as I travel into the back country a lot and secondly, the file size/resolution is probably overkill for what I do/sell.

Anyhow, thanks a bunch for your input and look forward to seeing more of your images in the future!

11-30-2015, 04:25 PM - 1 Like   #1067
Pentaxian

The reason I suggested the Loxia is that it's not as big and heavy as the Sony/Zeiss 1.4. As you do a lot of stitching the 35 would be better than the ultra wide angles due to pretty much zero distortion. You don't really want to be dealing with barrel distortion and keystone distortion in a panoramic. The Sony Zeiss 1.4 is really quite heavy.
11-30-2015, 08:20 PM   #1068
Forum Member

The reason I suggested the Loxia is that it's not as big and heavy as the Sony/Zeiss 1.4. As you do a lot of stitching the 35 would be better than the ultra wide angles due to pretty much zero distortion. You don't really want to be dealing with barrel distortion and keystone distortion in a panoramic. The Sony Zeiss 1.4 is really quite heavy.
I read a lot of reviews today and I'm really starting to like what i'm seeing with the Loxia line. There's a 21mm focal length that will be available in a couple of weeks that I might prefer a lot more than the 35mm focal length, but will need see the distortion differences.
12-01-2015, 02:36 AM - 1 Like   #1069
Pentaxian

A couple from before sunrise on a very wet morning in the Lake District:

Sony A7RII Batis 25 f/2

12-01-2015, 02:28 PM   #1070
Pentaxian

A few from Tarn Hows in the Lake District:

Sony A7RII Zeiss Batis 25 f/2

2. BW

12-02-2015, 05:27 PM - 1 Like   #1071
Pentaxian

Some more from the Lake District

Sony A7RII Batis 25 f/2

6. I looked behind me and saw the red light lighting a gap in very dark clouds

7. These longish exposures (0.8 - 1 sec) were handheld holding the camera against a bollard

9. BW

12-03-2015, 12:40 PM - 1 Like   #1072
Pentaxian

A wet day in Ambleside...

12-03-2015, 07:24 PM   #1073
Forum Member

Really great shots from the Batis 25mm!
12-04-2015, 01:28 PM - 1 Like   #1074
Pentaxian

One from today - Flickr is throwing one of its hissy fits at the moment:

A better day today, but still not a great day, didn't get wet, at least!

Sony A7RII Batis 25 f/2

The couple asked if I wanted them to wait while I took my photograph, but I decided I wanted their backs in it in a motion blur - 6 second exposure...

12-06-2015, 07:35 AM   #1075
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A wet day in Ambleside...

I'm looking at some of the flooded Ambleside pictures on the news today from the storm - looks crazy.
12-06-2015, 02:24 PM   #1076
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Clarkey Quote
I'm looking at some of the flooded Ambleside pictures on the news today from the storm - looks crazy.
I'll have some to post later. 230mm of rain in 20 hours...My regular drinking hole was flooded for the 2nd time in 3 weeks.

I've driven through some of it to get to Heathrow for a flight I have tomorrow. Was quite interesting...
12-06-2015, 06:41 PM   #1077
Pentaxian

Some from this morning in the aftermath of the storm... All with A7RII and Batis 25 f/2

1. Several shots as a pano

2. Ambleside Pier - the cones say: "Wet floor" No sh1t sherlock!

3. Some not so clever mooring company, tying the boats too tight with a storm coming, as a result over $1 million of boats have sunk. This is the second time this has happened. The lake cruise company called them too when the boats were only leaning...

4. The swans had fun though

7. Langdale Pikes and Wetherlam from Jenkins field

12-08-2015, 11:00 PM   #1078
Veteran Member

Some shots with CV15 MK3..

Been so long i last came into the forum. Always nice to keep so much nice photos from all.. Kudos!

12-11-2015, 07:49 PM   #1079
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Some from this morning in the aftermath of the storm... All with A7RII and Batis 25 f/2

1. Several shots as a pano

2. Ambleside Pier - the cones say: "Wet floor" No sh1t sherlock!

3. Some not so clever mooring company, tying the boats too tight with a storm coming, as a result over $1 million of boats have sunk. This is the second time this has happened. The lake cruise company called them too when the boats were only leaning...

4. The swans had fun though

7. Langdale Pikes and Wetherlam from Jenkins field

Rather wet looking!
12-16-2015, 06:30 AM   #1080
Pentaxian

Rollei HFT 50/1.8 (converted to M42)