Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-01-2014, 03:40 PM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by schneider Quote
@disco_owner, I happen to have a test shot taken with the A20 as I am also looking for a 20/21mm lens. The DA15 is my favorite on the K5, so........ Unfortunately 20mm is a bit problematic at the moment, if you want to keep things compact and somewhat affordable. Rangefinder lenses tend to have smearing in the corners (except the Voigtlander 21/1.8, the Leica 21/1.4 and the Leica WATE - the latter would be very nice but completely out of my budget). Modern Zeiss ultra wides are very bulky (and expensive). Older generation 20/21mm's are more compact, but less performant (in brick wall tests! I've seen very nice pictures already with the Canon FD20 and Oly 21/3.5). I think the A/FA20mm sits in this category.

So we have vignetting (correctable), distortion (correctable) and loss of sharpness to the edges. Looking at a similar shot taken with a K5 and DA15, the DA15 is better on all accounts, albeit slightly. Moreover the DA is less wide, giving it an advantage.

This thread has certainly picked up a bit from last I looked with your contributions.
Thanks

Hin's shot of the ME Super and A7 convinced me not to wait anymore for a A7 price drop (plus other reasons). (Thanks!)
Warts and all, I do think the A7 is the closest thing to a digital version of a small SLR like the OM and ME Super.

I started a thread in the FF section along similar lines....
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/169-pentax-full-frame/246917-does-my-m42-...ploration.html
But I don't want to push another camera brand here on PF (at least not on the main sections) since I find that there is little courtesy in that, so it only focuses on the lenses.

I have the same reasoning as you for a small WA lens, even though I do have a Soligor 17/4 (rectilinear) which has worked 'ok' on my 5D. (untested on A7 yet)
But I went ahead and bought a Canon FD 20/2.8 instead of a Pentax 20mm as the FD is way cheaper.

01-01-2014, 04:13 PM   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice examples of K17 output, Schnieder! Well done. I've been watching for one to show up for quite a while here on the PF marketplace, but so far, no dice. Thanks!
01-02-2014, 10:41 AM - 1 Like   #48
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
I started a thread in the FF section along similar lines....
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/169-pentax-full-frame/246917-does-my-m42-...ploration.html
But I don't want to push another camera brand here on PF (at least not on the main sections) since I find that there is little courtesy in that, so it only focuses on the lenses.
Yes, it is a bit of an odd situation. I do not want to plug another brand either, it's about having fun with Pentax lenses and show their strengths (and occasional weaknesses) which may perhaps be of use to others once a FF Pentax comes. Perhaps there should be a lens club 'Pentax lenses on FF' or something, including pictures taken with Canons.

Below some other examples of the fun that can be had with this lens. Mind that I am not quite happy with the PP - the colors are not really good. A weak point of this lens is clearly flare.

01-02-2014, 11:10 AM   #49
Pentaxian

Perhaps there should be a lens club 'Pentax lenses on FF' or something, including pictures taken with Canons.
I think this is a pretty good idea. I've got a NEX6 and I bought it specifically to use my growing collection of Pentax K and M lenses on, with a Lens Turbo. Not a real FF, but pseudo-FF while we wait for Pentax to get their act together. It'd be nice to have a place like that to display and share images taken with Pentax glass on non-Pentax cameras!

01-02-2014, 11:31 AM   #50
Veteran Member

I have a Carl Zeiss Distagon 28mm 2.8 plus 50mm 1.4 Planar from my Contax days - they are in perfect condition.

Will I be able to use them on the A7?
01-02-2014, 01:55 PM   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dylansalt Quote
I have a Carl Zeiss Distagon 28mm 2.8 plus 50mm 1.4 Planar from my Contax days - they are in perfect condition.

Will I be able to use them on the A7?
Heck ya, just by a third party Contax-Nex adapter for around $10 off ebay and your set.
01-03-2014, 12:25 AM   #52
Veteran Member

Perhaps there should be a lens club 'Pentax lenses on FF' or something, including pictures taken with Canons
Make a thread, man... "Pentax Lenses on Full Frame Body" I like it! I'll be joining you guys after I get my very very late paycheck and get an A7 body...
Let's make that thread full of high impact images using full frame Pentax lenses... =)

01-03-2014, 02:12 AM   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by richard balonglong Quote
Make a thread, man... "Pentax Lenses on Full Frame Body" I like it! I'll be joining you guys after I get my very very late paycheck and get an A7 body...
Let's make that thread full of high impact images using full frame Pentax lenses... =)

Bring it on.. I like the sound of that ....

01-03-2014, 03:07 AM   #54
Pentaxian

Yes, it is a bit of an odd situation. I do not want to plug another brand either, it's about having fun with Pentax lenses and show their strengths (and occasional weaknesses) which may perhaps be of use to others once a FF Pentax comes. Perhaps there should be a lens club 'Pentax lenses on FF' or something, including pictures taken with Canons.

Below some other examples of the fun that can be had with this lens. Mind that I am not quite happy with the PP - the colors are not really good. A weak point of this lens is clearly flare.

I like those shots!
Gives me a glimpse of people and small happenings in another part of the world.

Yes, my purpose to show the Pentax lenses on FF is more to debunk the long perpetuated myth that Pentax lenses are somehow lagging and not ready for digital FF.
In fact, its to show that Pentax lenses are even more wonderful on FF. (and those who can wait should, rather than jump and sacrifice the wonderful Pentax lens eco-system)

I brought the A7 to the office today, as I wanted to do some lunchtime shooting.
Showed the camera to some colleagues who are into photography. (a few canon FF users)

What left an impression on them was when I showed the A7 as a 'system' with 3 smallish lenses from WA to short tele.
K24/2.8; A50/1.4 and M85/2 (each lens about the size of a 50mm prime)
A FF travel kit that did not encumber as much as their Canon 5DII/^d setups (with large lenses)

So Pentax already has the lenses for digital FF.
They just need to give us a good camera.
01-03-2014, 08:00 AM - 1 Like   #55
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by richard balonglong Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by disco_owner Quote
Bring it on.. I like the sound of that ....

I dropped a request to the Admin/Mods for a "Pentax lenses on FF" club.

Lets see what is the reply....
01-03-2014, 06:47 PM - 2 Likes   #56
Pentaxian

|Ok.

The deed is done!

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/122-lens-clubs/247282-pentax-lenses-ff-club.html#post2636232

(I'd just like to appeal to those posting not to talk much about the cameras and just talk about the lenses there; TIA )
01-03-2014, 09:46 PM   #57
Veteran Member

Nice Amsterdam scenes there.

Jason
01-03-2014, 11:38 PM   #58
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
|Ok.

The deed is done!

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/122-lens-clubs/247282-pentax-lenses-ff-club.html#post2636232

(I'd just like to appeal to those posting not to talk much about the cameras and just talk about the lenses there; TIA )
Great! Thanks man! I'll be an observant for a while until I got a FF body...
01-04-2014, 03:25 AM   #59
Inactive Account

Excellent, I think this is a great idea. Specifics on for instance a Sony camera, there are better places to find them obviously. But examples of shots taken with Pentax lenses, those are hard to find elsewhere. I'll cross-post my pictures in the new thread, despite the duplication.
01-04-2014, 10:05 PM   #60
Pentaxian

Excellent, I think this is a great idea. Specifics on for instance a Sony camera, there are better places to find them obviously. But examples of shots taken with Pentax lenses, those are hard to find elsewhere. I'll cross-post my pictures in the new thread, despite the duplication.
I think its better to let ppl know that the lenses they have, work on FF (and well).
I'd rather they keep their lenses and either hold on to till a Pentax FF or get a Canon 5D or A7/r to tide over than to sell off at a loss and never to come back. (or come back as Trolls )