Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-09-2013, 09:44 AM   #1
Banned

Using the APS-C Sony 10-18mm OSS zoom on full frame A7r

QuoteQuote:
This is a pretty awful case of vignetting and distortion – as you would expect. It’s from an APS-C format wide angle zoom, the 10-18mm f/4 SEL OSS lens for NEX, used on the Alpha 7R full frame mirrorless body. Early in the launch period of this camera, various far more attractive images appeared on-line using subjects like roads, rail lines, beaches and even shop counters where the lines look straight – rather like that drainpipe – because of where they fall in the shot. As you can see, anything with a horizon near the long edge of the framewould have given a very different impression.

However, Adobe offers a free utility which enables you to make lens profiles to correct vignetting and distortion.

I’ve now created a lens profile for ACR/LR using full frame and the 10-18mm on the A7R. The vignetting is such that the profile creator really can’t handle it, and overcorrects the extreme corners as a result. I’ve done f/4, f/8, f/16 at 12, 14, 16 and 18mm focal lengths using an A2 chart; for a lens like this, a much greater working distance and an A0 chart would really be desirable.
Using the 10-18mm Sony E-mount zoom on full frame | Photoclubalpha

I guess if you already have some APS-C lenses you could get some use out of them on the full frame Sony E mount cameras and get OSS for a steady shot.

QuoteQuote:
One of the pleasant surprises that’s come out of testing the full-frame coverage of APS E-mount lenses on the Sony A7R came when I discovered that the Sony 10-18mm F4 OSS E lens covers a lot more real estate than needed for the APS-C chip.

While this lens was not designed for Fullframe, the coverage is much better than I expected at 12mm and above. Sony’s SEL 10-18mm F4 OSS E-mount lens actually does a pretty good job from 13-16mm and is particularly good at 14-15mm.

It’s easy to turn off APS-crop in the camera: Menu > Custom Settings 5 > APS-C Capture > Off

For each focal length between 10-18mm, I’ve included the un-corrected iamges along with a second version that was processed using a modified Lightroom lens profile for the SEL 10-18 F4 OSS.

PLEASE NOTE: the Lightroom SEL 10-18mm lens profile was created for APS-C sensors and needs to be re-done for the Full-frame chip. An updated lens profile should straighten out the lines and help clean up the magenta cast in the corners.
http://briansmith.com/sony-a7r-10-18-e-mount-lens/

Last edited by jogiba; 12-09-2013 at 11:16 AM.