Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-09-2013, 06:06 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
New Nikon firmware breaks compatibility with third-party batteries

Nikon firmware update breaks support for third-party batteries: Digital Photography Review

A recent firmware update for several entry-level Nikon DSLRs and the Coolpix P7700 has broken compatibility with third-party batteries. When taken in light of events like Sigma's recent service advisories for several of its lenses when used with the D5300 and Df and encryption of certain metadata in RAW files, is Nikon going too far in trying to block third-party support for its cameras, or is it just trying to ensure the best possible customer experience?

Canon doesn't do the same thing--while they obviously will not support third-party parts or mods, they will not intentionally try to stop them. When a Canon DSLR has a third-party part installed, it will try to function gracefully even if there are inconsistencies with the way the part communicates. For example, some third-party batteries may trigger a "Cannot communicate with battery" warning on Canon DSLRs but will continue to allow operation (albeit without battery status information). Furthermore, third-party software mods such as Magic Lantern and CHDK can be used to significantly extend the capabilities of Canon cameras, but there is no indication that Canon has acted deliberately to block this sort of hacking.

Do you think what Nikon is doing is a good idea? Will this help keep low-quality imitations off the market, or do you feel this will lead to boycotts and possibly antitrust action against Nikon?

See also: The Nikon Sigma Kerfuffle | byThom | Thom Hogan

--DragonLord

Last edited by bwDraco; 12-09-2013 at 06:16 PM.
12-09-2013, 07:07 PM   #2
Veteran Member

To be fair, when Canon initially released their USM support and Sigma copied it, every model release broke Sigma compatibility. I'm glad Sigma added the USB port for firmware upgrades....
12-09-2013, 07:13 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Third party batteries suck anyway. When using a third party battery my camera just dies rather than saying "battery depleted".

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-09-2013, 08:16 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Perhaps, eventually, Nikon or Canon may become the Apple equivalent of cameras, with a tightly closed ecosystem. It's true, for the most part, that Apple stuff "just works", but there is certainly a lack of individuality & customization to it.

12-11-2013, 12:26 PM - 1 Like   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Third party batteries suck anyway. When using a third party battery my camera just dies rather than saying "battery depleted".
I have had good luck with the third-party battery in my K10D, but then again, I seldom run them to depletion.

Steve
12-12-2013, 01:05 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Good for Pentax then...

I just don't see the point of such short sighted moves.
The 3rd party manufacturers are pretty smart and will bypass the efforts to prevent the battery use anyway.

In fact, I think these 3rd party stuff help to drive sales for the OEM cameras.
I'd have given up on my Panasonic G3; Sigma DP1m; Pentax Q/Q7 if the batteries were $100 a piece at OEM prices.
12-13-2013, 09:15 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Personally.....

They are nuts

12-15-2013, 11:47 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Trying to limit competition and hiding it behind the veil of "consumer protection" and "safety" is outrageous. A well-designed battery, even if manufactured by a third party, poses no greater safety hazard than an OEM battery.

The next step: refuse to supply genuine batteries (or even the cameras or lenses themselves) to retailers unless they agree not to carry third-party batteries (or lenses or other accessories). I doubt this will happen as it will probably catch the attention of the DOJ as a Sherman Antitrust Act violation, since this constitutes refusal to deal...

--DragonLord

Last edited by bwDraco; 12-15-2013 at 12:00 PM.
12-15-2013, 03:29 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
There have clearly been cases where cheap batteries have caused issues on some cameras; not charging correctly, not communicating level to the camera properly, or going flat quickly. When this happens the camera may get the blame, and cause a support load for the manufacturer. Today's LiIon batteries have custom-designed "smarts" - and are not made to open standards like older cells, so while it is possible for 3rd party mfgrs to copy them well, they can also come short.
Unless a camera uses a standard type battery, conforming to available, recognized standards, the camera maker should at least be able to claim that using anything other than their battery will void the warranty. That might get less flack than a firmware prohibition, but hard to prove what battery has been used. (Unless they have coded ID in each battery and keep a record of each that is used in the camera memory!)
12-15-2013, 04:11 PM   #10
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by DragonLord Quote
Nikon firmware update breaks support for third-party batteries: Digital Photography Review

A recent firmware update for several entry-level Nikon DSLRs and the Coolpix P7700 has broken compatibility with third-party batteries. When taken in light of events like Sigma's recent service advisories for several of its lenses when used with the D5300 and Df and encryption of certain metadata in RAW files, is Nikon going too far in trying to block third-party support for its cameras, or is it just trying to ensure the best possible customer experience?

Canon doesn't do the same thing--while they obviously will not support third-party parts or mods, they will not intentionally try to stop them. When a Canon DSLR has a third-party part installed, it will try to function gracefully even if there are inconsistencies with the way the part communicates. For example, some third-party batteries may trigger a "Cannot communicate with battery" warning on Canon DSLRs but will continue to allow operation (albeit without battery status information). Furthermore, third-party software mods such as Magic Lantern and CHDK can be used to significantly extend the capabilities of Canon cameras, but there is no indication that Canon has acted deliberately to block this sort of hacking.

Do you think what Nikon is doing is a good idea? Will this help keep low-quality imitations off the market, or do you feel this will lead to boycotts and possibly antitrust action against Nikon?

See also: The Nikon Sigma Kerfuffle | byThom | Thom Hogan

--DragonLord
I assume the next move will be firmware update to block the compatibility with third party lenses.
Once a camera recognises a third party lens, the mount will just spit it out on the floor.