Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
12-16-2013, 12:55 AM - 1 Like   #16
Forum Member

Even though you are probably trolling...

QuoteOriginally posted by neostyles Quote
Im not exactly a big fan of the switchtes than pentax has in alot of their cameras. They only seen to have stopped using them with the k30/k50.
I do not understand what this means. Are you are complaining about having physical controls instead of digging through menus to change settings? OK.

Another example.. Looking at the back of the D7100, its immediately clear how to do common things like change the white balance or iso.
I know what you mean. My K5 has a button that says ISO and WB. I wish it was clear what they are for.

Heck, in 2008, according to wikipedia, nikon had the D3s which packed 24 megapixels, 51 af points, and over twice the continuous shooting rate of the K20.
The D3s didn't come out until late 2009. It is a 12 megapixel camera. At the time of release, it cost $5000. It is a nice camera, but comparing Nikon's top of the line pro camera with a mid-level Pentax enthusiast camera makes no sense.

I dont want to turn this into pentex vs nikon, its just at the moment it seems like nikon offers more performance
Please be sure to post pictures from your new camera so we can see what an improvement it made.

12-16-2013, 12:57 AM - 1 Like   #17

I havent seen two many reviewers citing the interface as a plus. In fact, if anything usability has been one of the most common weaknesses of pentax cameras. Im not exactly a big fan of the switchtes than pentax has in alot of their cameras. They only seen to have stopped using them with the k30/k50. The menu for custom white balance on my K20 is anything but user friendly btw. I dont think that there is any question that they do look dated compared to the competition

Another example.. Looking at the back of the D7100, its immediately clear how to do common things like change the white balance or iso.

Ok, so the K20 might be a bit old. Lets take their newest camera, the K3. The D3200 gives you comparable image quality for less than half the price. Problem is that the pentax K3 is really their first camera that has up to date features, and it costs quite a bit more than other cameras in a similar class. Pentax has been playing catch up with cannon/nikon for the last decade and they are starting to get up to date with modern standards. Heck, in 2008, according to wikipedia, nikon had the D3s which packed 24 megapixels, 51 af points, and over twice the continuous shooting rate of the K20.

The D7100 and the K5ii are somewhat in the same price point and the D7100 still pulls ahead in some areas
Nikon D7100 vs Pentax K-5 II S - YouTube

Here is a fairly large image comparing the D7100 (on the left) vs the K5ii (on the right)
http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/GOyLXv6e3Q4/maxresdefault.jpg

I dont want to turn this into pentex vs nikon, its just at the moment it seems like nikon offers more performance
Go ahead and buy the D7100.
It is a good camera and it seems to have features that you like.
It doesn't matter what the instrument is - it is the music that counts.
Seems to me its time to get on with making some more music.
BTW, I have a D300 and a K-10D, and I like both of them. I love the K-10D for its simplicity and ease of use - notwithstanding its shortcomings.
Happy snaps amigo
OH
12-16-2013, 03:36 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm confused - on my K-5 and K-7 there is WB button on the back and an ISO button on top.

Not only that, I can see the ISO change in the viewfinder when I press the button and rotate the knob.
12-16-2013, 03:57 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
I'm confused - on my K-5 and K-7 there is WB button on the back and an ISO button on top.

Not only that, I can see the ISO change in the viewfinder when I press the button and rotate the knob.
Strangely enough they carried over these 'design features' into the new ground breaking K-3. Will Pentax ever learn? Not only do they make the best APSC camera's on the market, they put all sorts of modes and features into these bodies that are not available in any other camera of the class, but they make the bodies indestructible, with class leading IQ.

No wonder Pentax are lagging behind the Mighty Nikon Juggernaught, what with their crippled feature sets, plasticy bodies and indecipherable menu's.

Yep, I'd switch in a heartbeat if it were not for all these woeful FA limited and DA* lenses that I have been stiffed with.

/endsarc

12-16-2013, 04:18 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
There are a couple of issues you mention. First of all, most Pentax settings are accessible through simple button pushes -- one or two at most, or from the info screen. This is not just true on the K5 and K3, but on the mid range K30 and K50 as well. I would question how many people are truly trying to change their LCD color scheme on the fly. Seems like a fairly trivial complaint to me, if you can change iso, WB, flash settings, shutter speed/aperture speed with the push of a button or a turn of a dial. The K20 sensor is definitely fairly long in the tooth. For most folks, the 16 megapixel sensor in the K30/K50 will give as good image quality as the 24 megapixel sensor in the D320/5200, but with better dynamic range. In comparison to the D3200, the K50 has a deeper buffer, faster fps, 100 percent penta prism viewfinder, dual control wheels and a sealed body. There are more things, but basically, to me, the K30/50 is a significantly better camera for still photography, the only thing the D3200 has on it is video.

All of that said, I don't know why you are focused on camera bodies at all. They just don't make a difference that much. Buy for glass. Is there a lens that you need that only Nikon offers? Buy Nikon. Do you have a good stable of Pentax glass with few gaps? Then, stick with Pentax.

I think there are plenty of reasons to want to switch systems, but I'm sorry to say that the reasons you have given seem fairly inane.

Last edited by Rondec; 12-16-2013 at 07:01 AM.
12-16-2013, 06:29 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Something I found not long back was that scrolling through menus on the *istD, K-5, K-7, and Q (I can't check my K100D as my daughter has it and she's 500km away) can be done quickly with the e-dials. It sometimes beats using the 4-way controller.

I suppose it's in the manuals.
12-16-2013, 06:58 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
In comparison to the D3200, the K50 has a deeper buffer, faster fps, 100 percent penta prism viewfinder, dual control wheels and a sealed body. There are more things, but basically, to me, the K30/50 is a significantly better camera for still photography, the only thing the D3200 has on it is video.

That is nice, if you are going to feed the trolls give them enough to choke on!

12-16-2013, 07:40 AM   #23
Site Supporter

Is the 3200 WR with dual wheels etc?
12-16-2013, 07:44 AM   #24
Pentaxian

We'll all miss you contribution to the forum….

QuoteQuote:
User friendliness seems like its always been an issue with pentax cameras.
With all do respect… user friendliness has always been a selling point of Pentax cameras. And your complaints are in my opinion petty. The thing is, you aren't asking for help, your selling Nikon and brushing us off.

You're big complaint seems to be that you don't know where to find the things you want to use on your camera…. what about the manual? If you're going to sell yourself as some kind of professional, I suggest you learn how to use your gear, no matter what it is. That's part of being a professional. It might be a little easier on a Nikon, that's your assertion, but all you're really saying is you haven't learned and memorized how to do what you need to do to "be creative". Kind of like a painter who doesn't know how to mix colours, and has to look up how to do it in the manuals. Then saying the manuals for one type of paint are better than the manuals for another. As a photographer, you're supposed to know that stuff. Not being wasting time figuring it out on the fly. . ANd no one is going to pay you to flip through menus, Nikon or Pentax menus. You're supposed to know that stuff.

I don't care what camera you use, if you're flipping through menus to find what you need, you don't know your camera.
12-16-2013, 07:55 AM   #25
Veteran Member

neostyles, whatever interested you the most, go ahead and get it.

If it makes sense to you, is worth it and there is NO point in letting the whole world know what is your plan... especially when some small parts of the world will pinch you right back because you kind of make some false accusations .

Enjoy your future camera... whatever it is.
12-16-2013, 08:03 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Supernaut Quote

That is nice, if you are going to feed the trolls give them enough to choke on!
Sure, I get that. Who is going to go from a (one time) flagship camera in the K20 to an entry level camera in the D3200, however nice the menu structure is. If you want a camera that does good still photography, the D3200 will be adequate, but barely.
12-16-2013, 08:36 AM   #27
Banned

QuoteQuote:
The D7100 and the K5ii are somewhat in the same price point and the D7100 still pulls ahead in some areas
The D7100 cost much more than the K5 II.
Nikon D7100 DSLR Camera (Body Only) 1513 B&H Photo Video
Pentax K-5 II Digital SLR Camera with SMC DA 18-55mm 12027 B&H
12-16-2013, 08:36 AM   #28
Site Supporter

Since you're leaving, can I have your stuff?
12-16-2013, 09:05 AM - 1 Like   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Oldhand Quote
It doesn't matter what the instrument is - it is the music that counts.
+1 You got that right. Too many camera religious zealots these days.
12-16-2013, 12:14 PM   #30

I considered to switch to Nikon, too. Then I touched the D7100 and the D600 and found out that I am spoiled by the quality of pentax bodies. No way to buy this huge plastic monster. Fealt cheaper than my K-01 (which feels quite good).
Closed Thread