Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-18-2013, 03:43 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I Wasted Some Film Today

Since today was supposed to be nice, I decided that I would get out and try to get some pictures taken. The cameras that I took with me were my Canon EOS Elan IIE and my Pentax K1000SE. At one point when I was walking downtown, I looked towards the river and I noticed that there were some bald eagles flying around so I decided to head towards the riverfront and try to get some shots of them flying around. I got my Elan IIE (with an EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 lens attached) out of my camera bag and I started shooting. Every now and then, the battery icon on the LCD display would flash like the battery was dead (it wasn't dead...just damn cold). I would turn the mode dial on my camera to Lock, leave it there for a few moments, then I would set my camera back to aperture priority mode and continue shooting. I did several times. What I finally realized that every time that I would switch the camera from lock to aperture priority mode, the camera would advance the roll of film to the next exposure (even though the previous exposure prior to me switch the camera back to aperture priority hadn't been used). By the time I realized what was going on, it was too late to do anything about it. If I would have been paying attention to what was going on right away, I believe (I could be wrong) I could have manually rewound the roll of film to the exposures that were not used so that I could use them instead of leaving them unused and therefore wasted. I didn't pay attention to which exposures were essentially skipped. I am kind of pissed about this. I should have just taken my digital camera with me and used that. Not only did I manage to skip exposures, I also wanted to overexpose my shots in order to hopefully ensure that I achieved a proper exposure. I had adjusted what I thought was exposure compensation but when I was shooting, the meter was not showing any positive change in exposure compensation. Finally, I realized that I was an idiot and what I actually changed was the flash exposure compensation and not regular exposure compensation. I had to look in the camera manual (it's a good thing I had it with me) in order to figure out how to set exposure compensation. That was my screwup. This is a new camera to me. I really need to learn the cameras that I just bought before I go out shooting. Actually, I don't really need to learn how to operate my K1000SE because it's completely manual and it's pretty much self-explanatory. I just need to learn how to shoot with film and how to expose things properly. Having a completely manual camera will force me to slow down and take my time and this is something that I definitely need and something that will benefit me greatly. I definitely need to learn how to operate my Elan IIE. It's definitely been a messed up day in some respects.

12-18-2013, 05:08 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I hate fighting automation, which is why I prefer a manual focus manual exposure camera.
FWIW I'll bet you would have gotten all the shots if you'd stuck to using your K1000...

Chris
12-18-2013, 05:58 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
I hate fighting automation, which is why I prefer a manual focus manual exposure camera.
FWIW I'll bet you would have gotten all the shots if you'd stuck to using your K1000...

Chris
Actually, I would have had an easier time with my Elan IIE that I was using just for the simple fact that I am not used to using a completely manual camera. If I am shooting something stationary, it would be very easy to shoot with my K1000SE but trying to shoot moving subjects with a completely manual camera will be a difficult skill for me to master. It would have been better if the Elan IIE wouldn't have advanced the roll of film one frame ahead every time that I switched the mode dial from lock back to aperture priority because my battery icon was flashing because it was too cold. Of course, it would have helped if I had noticed right away what was going on. Of course, it would also help if I actually took the time to read the instruction manual for my Elan IIE and learned how to operate that camera pretty well. When it comes down to it, I think that a lot of the things that happened were my fault. The film I had in the camera was only 200 speed. Probably not fast enough for what I was trying to do. I was also trying to handhold my camera with a 75-300mm lens attached. I was shaky and the gusty wind did not help. I had a tripod with me but it's a cheap promaster one and I had to raise the center column just so I didn't have to scrunch down to look through the viewfinder but I gave up on using the tripod pretty quickly and went to handholding. I do have a monopod but unfortunately, it's the kind where you screw the monopod into the tripod socket on the bottom of the camera. It does not have a head that can move around. I'm just going to chalk it up to a learning experience. When I get that roll of film developed, I'll have to take a look at the images and see if any of them turned out. I'm not really expecting them to but who knows. Even if they do not turn out, that will be a part of the learning experience.
12-21-2013, 07:42 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sports, action and nature photography were all done, and done well for 100 years prior to the advent of automation.
It may be a convenience but it's certainly not a requirement.

With a dead battery your K1000 can keep shooting using "Sunny 16".
With a dead battery your Canon is a paperweight.

Reliance on a battery dependent camera may leave you "out in the cold" - as you found out.

Chris

12-21-2013, 07:52 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Oh, I was out in the cold. That wind by the river was brutal even though it was a decent day. I definitely plan on using my K1000SE more. Eventually, I need to get some more lenses for it (considering I've only got one). Considering that I have never shot film before, I'm not really expecting my first two rolls to really yield any decent shots. I did shoots some winter scene with my Pentax. I'm pretty certain that I did a better job shooting those than I did shooting bald eagles with my Elan IIE. That's not to say that they are good shots. I won't really know that until I get the film developed. I think that maybe one of these days (maybe not until spring possibly), I want to take the battery out of my Pentax and go out shooting without using a light meter.